Wednesday, September 21, 2016

#Writing Wednesday - September 21st 2016

"Toby's New World" was put in the spotlight in a group I'm a member of for self-published authors of children's books over on Goodreads. There was a thread set up to discuss, and ask me questions about, the book, as well as an author interview thread. I copied the questions, along with the answers I gave, on to the author of the month thread on the Smashwords Authors group. There are a few things mentioned on the first two threads that weren't copied on to the third though, so you may want to have a little read of all three. Also, feel free to ask me questions yourself.

If you can, please post your question(s) on one of the threads linked to above. However, if you're a goodreads member, but you aren't on either of those groups, don't worry. I'm also accepting questions via the "ask the author" thingy on my Goodreads author page, or via direct message, from Goodreads members who aren't a member of either group.

Want to ask me something, but not on Goodreads? No problem! Just post your question in the comments section of this post, and I'll answer it anyway. There's no reason people should miss out on the chance to ask me questions just because they aren't on Goodreads, after all. That just wouldn't be fair, would it?

***

Are you failing to get as much writing done as you'd like? If so, check out these three insights into improving writing productivity.

Are you planning to include some homeschooled children - or even one homeschooled child - in your story? If you are, you should read this post about homeschooling in middle grade books first, especially if you haven't had much experience with being homeschooled yourself.

Regardless of the types of characters you have in your story, here are seven mistakes to avoid when naming your characters.

Quick tip: here's the one marketing move authors get wrong.

This is why authors need to be as accessable as possible. Bear in mind though that book promotion is not a one-size-fits-all strategy, and not everyone can do everything. Still, it's best to do as much as you can, and be as accessable as you can be.

Are you stuck for what to post, other than "please buy my book" messages, on your blog, or on social media? Then check out this post on what authors can post online (without driving away followers).

Finally, have you ever considered participating in multi-author events? Whether you have or not, here are the advantages of doing multi-author promotions, as well as a great answer to why you should still write and help promote others, even though there are already so many books in the world.

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

The article about what authors can post online is especially interesting.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I'm glad you thought so.

IntenseGuy said...

I enjoyed all the Toby books. I got some insight too on my book writing friend. Smiles.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
I'm glad you enjoyed the Toby books... Thanks again for doing the covers for them. I'm glad you enjoyed reading the discussions about me and the books too. *Smiles*