Wednesday, September 28, 2016

#Writing Wednesday - September 28th 2016

Do you enjoy historical fiction? How about historical fantasy? Or, alternative history with a science fiction element to it? If the answer to any - or all - of those is yes, would you be interested in reading some stories set in and around the Battle of Hastings? If so, you'll be pleased to know that four brand new ones are coming soon to celebrate the battle's 950th anniversary this October.

A group of Smashwords authors - Barbara G.Tarn, L J Hick, Steph Bennion, and myself - have written stories based in and around the battle, which will officially become available on October 14th 2016... Exactly 950 years after the date that this particular historical event is said to have taken place.

Most of the posts about these stories are going up next month, but the eBooks have been pre-released, and you can find details and pre-order links in this post done by one of the authors involved, if you don't want to wait until next month to learn more.

***

If you're a writer too, you may be interested in knowing just how useful Apple Notes can be. I know I find it really useful, since I can't just grab a notebook and pen/pencil to take notes, jot down ideas, etc, any more. Apple Notes is one of the most used things on my iPhone. I haven't fully gotten the hang of it yet, since using touch screen technology when you can't see is even more frustrating than doing so when you can. However, I am starting to get the hang of it, and learning how useful it can be. The article I just linked to gives you some idea of options for what you can do with it though.

Anyway...

Have you ever thought about using the seasons in your writing? It can really help to breathe life in to your story, and pull the reader in to it even more.

There are certain grammar issues that always need to be fixed. However, there are also some that are just an example of how language is changing and evolving. For more on this topic, take a look at these six answers fiction writers have for the grammar police.

Before you publish - especially if you plan to self-publish, though it can't hurt to do so if you plan to go down the traditional publishing route - take a look at these five legal terms every author should know

***

Did you always love writing, but now find yourself struggling to find the passion you once felt? Then read this post on rekindling the flame, and this one on how to stay motivated in your writing journey. Then make sure to remember you are not alone.

Looking to make a career out of your writing? Great! Before you get too carried away though, here are some writing dreams and harsh realities, which you should bear in mind if you want to have a successful writing career, but can ignore if you just write for fun.

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

Once again, thanks for such good links. I don't know where you find them all but I'm glad you share them!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Mostly I find the links in posts and social media shares of people I follow, most of whom are either also writers/authors, or are people who love books and like to support and help authors. The few that don't come from those places are ones I find if I'm looking something up online. I read many more than I share, but only bother to post the best of what I find (or, what I think is the best of what I find, anyway).

IntenseGuy said...

Every time I think something in this country is "old" I just need to think about your country!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Yeah, no kidding...