Friday, February 03, 2017

#Furkid Friday: 6 Facts About My #Degu Days Duo #Books

Throughout February, in place of my usual "Furkid Friday" posts, I'll be sharing some facts about certain animal stories my furry family members have inspired. You may already know these facts, but I thought I'd share them, just in case you don't and are interested. I hope you enjoy these posts.

I'm kicking things off with some facts about my Degu Days Duo.

1. The degus in the stories are based on my actual degus, and were even given their names. At the time the books were released, we still had all four of them. We unfortunately lost Jasper, Jenks, and Jacob, during 2016 (in June, September, and November, respectively) but still have Joshua at the time of this post going live.

2. The pictures on the covers are actual photos of my boys. The photo on "The Great Degu Round-Up" actually contains all four of them, while the one on "A Very Degu Christmas" is of Jacob and Jenks. The quality could be better, but they were the best photos I had of them at the time, and I didn't want to change the covers afterwards. It was suggested, but I refused.

3. The first book in the series was based on the actual chaos that was my attempts at keeping all four degus in one place while my hubby cleaned their cage. We put them in the bath (with the plug in, but no water in it) because the slippery sides made it more difficult for them to jump out, and therefore easier for me to keep them in a small area where I could do a regular headcount unaided. They would still sometimes make a bid for freedom, but it was easier for me to realize and capture the escaping degu than it would have been had they had free run of a large area.

4. I originally only planned to write the one book, but couldn't resist doing their version of the Christmas story that is part of my "Kero's World" series. Hence the addition of the second book after all.

5. My Degu Days Duo books were the first I made available in paperback, because I'd had a request from a reader for paperback versions of those particular books at the time I was deciding which books to make available in paperback first.

6. At the time of this post going live, the only book of mine that has sold more copies than my Degu Days Duo is my stand-alone degu story, Degu's Day Out.

***

Want to buy your own copies of the books in the Degu Days Duo? Or, any of my other books, for that matter.

You can buy all of my books as eBooks from Smashwords, as well as from Barnes & Noble, Apple iBooks, Kobo, and a few other eBook retailers. Alternatively, you can buy them as paperbacks from CreateSpace, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and a couple of other online retailers. They're also available to order from libraries in any format, assuming your library supports this feature, and either already carries them, or is willing to get copies.

4 comments:

Rita said...

Do you think you'll eventually be getting more rodents when your present ones all finally cross that rainbow bridge? You guys give them an especially wonderful life. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
I'm not sure. There are no plans to do so as it stands at the moment, but we'll see what the future holds. I know there will be no more rats though, since Kelly agreeing to me getting the rats was a one-off special circumstance type situation; I've known all along there won't be any more rats.

Intense Guy said...

I've read all the Degu books!

So Degu's Day Out is your best seller! Cool!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Yep, it is.