Sunday, February 26, 2017

#Vegetarian Friendly #Food Themed Thoughts - #Valentines 2017 Edition (FD)

Yes, I know Valentine's Day was almost two weeks ago. We didn't do our actual celebration until the 20th though.

Well, actually, if you want to be technical, our Valentine's celebrations lasted an entire week, since Kelly brought me some chocolate to actually have on Valentine's Day, and came home with a heart shaped tub of big juicy strawberries a few days later. But I wasn't going to write a post for those. Not that I don't appreciate those things... They were really sweet (no pun intended). In fact, I almost took a photo of my tub of strawberries to put in this post. I only didn't because I got distracted by eating them, and I figured the empty tub wouldn't have the same impact without the big juicy strawberries for you to drool over. *wink*

Anyway, it's our official celebration I want to talk about in this post.

Back in January we noticed that a French cafe had opened nearby. To be honest, we have no idea when it opened. There's been a cafe of some sort there for a long while, but it's changed hands a few times, and changed names and cuisines in the process. Anyway, we noticed it's now a French cafe, and I decided I wanted to give it a try. After all, the one thing we could tell at once it did was French pastries, and I used to love the ones I had from the French market that used to set up near here when we first moved here (the French market moved to town proper, and we've never seen it when we've been in there, not even on what's considered the town's official market day). I also love the few French pastries our local bakery does... Especially their croissants.

We figured, what better time to go to a French cafe than Valentine's Day, right? Except Valentine's Day fell during half term week here (meaning schools were closed for the week) and that combined with how just about everyone eats out or orders in for Valentine's Day as a general rule - something I'm pretty sure happens worldwide - made me reluctant to go on the day itself, since it was most likely going to be quite busy. So we decided to arrange to go there for breakfast the Monday after Valentine's Day, when school was back on, and everyone else had hopefully done their celebrating, so things would be quieter, and we could enjoy a peaceful late Valentine's breakfast.

Anyway...

There were several vegetarian options on the menu, though for most of them you need to enjoy humus or spicy food. I'm not a huge fan of either, to be honest. It's not that I absolutely won't eat anything with humus in it, or that I absolutely won't eat spicy food. But I prefer milder spices, and I'm not a huge humus fan. Anyway, I did still have a few options to choose from, including being able to pick my own omelette fillings. Plus, I could have tried the spicy or humus-based meals, if I really wanted to.

I almost got pancakes, but in the end I ended up deciding on an omelette. I had an omelette with kale and mushrooms, as well as an almond croissant and a lemon-filled French macaroon, and some mint tea (not a very French breakfast drink, perhaps, but it was what I wanted). I'd never had a kale and mushroom omelette before. Actually, unless it was in something and I'm forgetting, I'm pretty sure I've never had kale before in general. Anyway, the food was really good. Not amazing, but certainly enjoyable.

Kelly had what they called a French breakfast, but was closer to the English breakfast in my opinion (it consisted of eggs, bacon, sausage, tomatoes, beans, toast, and I think mushrooms too) as well as a vanilla latte. His toast was cooked more than he'd have liked, plus it was stone cold when it got to the table, though the latter of those seemed to bother me more than it did him. Also, the eggs weren't really to his liking, though that might just be a personal preference thing. Other than that though, he really enjoyed his breakfast too. Like me, however, he thought it was really good, but not amazing.

Our only real issue with the place was the cost. The portion sizes were smaller than we're used to, which we're not complaining about, since many countries do smaller portion sizes than the US, Canada, and the UK do. But we were paying at least twice the cost for those smaller portions than we usually pay elsewhere for twice the food, making for a rather expensive breakfast. We didn't mind too much, since it was a special Valentine's meal. But it does make us reluctant to consider making this a cafe we'd visit regularly.

So, would we go again? Yes. But only very rarely, due to the high cost of eating there.

If you're interested: If I was to rate the place, I'd give it four out of five stars.

6 comments:

Rita said...

Sounds like the high cost would be worth it if the food was fantastic...but not for just okay food. I wouldn't doubt that the restaurant might just change hands once again--LOL! ;)

Still, sounds like a nice Valentine's thing to do and your goodies sounded scrumptious. Especially the chocolates! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Absolutely! The high cost wouldn't be so bad if the food was excellent; it would seem worth it then. Still, it was a fun way to celebrate Valentine's Day.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if you're right that the place will change hands again soon... It never seems to stay one thing for too long.

Jeanie said...

Well, it sounds like a fun experience with a slightly off putting end, given some cold food and all that. But I would have done as you did and ordered the omelet. I could eat breakfast 24/7. Still, it's fun to do something new and try out a new spot on Valentine's Day -- and this would be something I'd do too. And what's not to love about a lemon macaron?!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I'm the same way... I could eat breakfast any time too. In fact, I sometimes do have breakfast for dinner.

Deanna said...

It seems odd that they called that a French breakfast when, as you say, it was pretty traditionally English. I must say that I am now wishing I had a croissant. Ha!

Victoria Zigler said...

Deanna:
I'm glad it's not just me who thinks that breakfast sounds more English than French. Also, I wouldn't mind another croissant right now myself...