Wednesday, February 01, 2017

#Writing Wednesday - February 1st 2017

The reason there hasn't been much in the way of writing reports from me is because there's not much to tell. I've written a couple of poems (one being the one about snowflakes I posted about a week and a half ago) and made some progress on one of the stories I'm working on. That's about it though. I know there are those who will say I'm simply guilty of excuses and the fine art of self sabotage. They'd be right, to a certain extent. Some of it is just me allowing myself to make excuses. Some of the excuses are out of my control though, since I spent a lot of January working to the timetables of others, which does tend to complicate matters. Basically, there is progress, just not much of it. So, while you wait for me to have something worth saying in regards to my own writing, please enjoy the links I've gathered together for you this week.

Not that I have many for you this week, but...

Regardless of what you're writing, you may want to take a look at these three tips for describing eyes in a story.

Also, if you've reached the editing phase with your current writing project, here are ten editing tips that may help you out. They're officially aimed at writers of short stories, but are a great place to start regardless of the length of your work. As a point though, number three may not apply, especially if you write stories for younger readers, where repetition is actually encouraged.

At some point you're going to need to decide the answer to the question, "Does your book need a sequel?" Which is something you can decide at any point during the writing or book production process. As the post explains, it's sometimes fans who will make you think about it, but it's something only you can really answer, and you shouldn't do it if your book doesn't need one and your heart isn't in it.

Finally, if you're interested, here's a list of poetry forms; useful if you write poetry, or want to do so, and potentially interesting if you enjoy reading poetry. Of course, there are poems that break all the rules, and don't fit properly in to any of those... Isn't that the case with all types of writing? But that post is a good one to get you started on identifying types of poetry forms, so I thought I'd share it for anyone interested in checking it out.

4 comments:

Jeanie said...

You are allowed to give yourself some slack. Allowed to have a life. Allowed to mourn and allowed to regroup. It's all good, Tori. Sometimes we need to step back from the work to make the work flow more easily.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
True... Thanks! *Hugs*

Intense Guy said...

I'm one that thinks many books do not need a sequel (and that goes for movies too!! Or remakes for that matter!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
I agree. Some do need a sequel, but in many cases the story has been told, and a sequel isn't needed.