Friday, December 21, 2007

The Yuletide celebrations begin

Today (Friday) my Mam came down to kick off our Yuletide celebrations by baking cookies and mince pies with me. We took a photo of some of the cookies we made, but didn't bother taking a photo of the mince pies. They look the same as last year, so if you really want to see them, look for the mince pie photo in the "Bits & Bobs" album in my photo albums. Not sure how well you can see the writing on some of the cookies, but they say "Hiya" "Noel" "Xmas" "Yule" and "Nadolig" (Nadolig is Welsh for Christmas). For those who want it, my Mam's mince pie recipe is on our recipe page.

We also made egg nog and wassail. Neither of us had tasted either drink before, because it was too late to make them by the time I found the recipes last year. So, we decided to taste them today. Mam didn't really like the egg nog, but I thought it was "OK" - not something I would drink too often though. LOL! And, we both liked the wassail. So, I have a jug full of it made up so I can drink it over the next couple of days.

When we were done baking and decorating the cookies, we decided to be neighbourly and take some to Lucy and Tim (the people who live above us). Can't remember if we took any to them last year - don't think we did - but I know we took some to Margret (our next door neighbour). Margret's away for Christmas this year though. So, anyway, we took a couple of cookies and mince pies up to Lucy and Tim and their little girl (Cerys) who's almost 2. Only to find that their new baby (Catrin) had been born this morning. I got to be the first person who was neither a family member or someone in the medical profession to hold little Catrin. She was just 7 hours old when I held her. Turned out Lucy had gone in to labour this morning, been rushed in to hospital, had the baby within two or three hours, and come home a couple of hours later. They'd been home about three hours when we went up with the cookies and mince pies. That's the youngest baby I've ever seen. The youngest I'd seen before was a few hours short of being a week old. Some people believe it's lucky for a baby to be born on December 21st (I'm one of them). Catrin was exactly a week early (she was due on December 28th) and weighed 6 lbs 7 oz.

My Mam was here most of the day, baking and listening to Christmasy music, so I didn't have the TV on today. I put it on a little while before I started this post though, and have just watched "The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe" (I guess because it's got a Wintery theme they class it as a Christmas movie). I've watched it at least twice before, and I know for a fact I've posted about it before, so I wont bother to do so today.

I was going to be going out with my Mam and a few family friends tonight, but if I did that I'd have ended up staying at Mam's for the night. Not that that's a real problem, but since Mam is going out early tomorrow morning, and Kelly usually goes up there for Dad's gaming club on a Saturday, it would make things a bit awkward to arrange when it came to getting me back home. Kelly couldn't just bring Kero up with him and have us stay for the day, because there would be too many people and Kero hates big groups of people. Not to mention, I'd have gotten bored being up there all day with my Mam not even being there. And, we can't get an early enough bus for Mam to get me home before she goes out. If our bus drivers were a bit more helpful I could get myself home, but the bus drivers around here are about as helpful as a bucket with a hole in the bottom of it. Never mind, I'm a bit tired anyway, so I'm happy to stay at home instead. I'm going out with Mam, Carl and Rachel (and possibly Wayne too) New Year's eve anyway.

OK, well, that's about everything for today. Hope you are all having as enjoyable a day as I've had! :)

Tori

10 comments:

theteacher said...

Sounds like your having a blast. We packed all our Christmas pressies up for going to my parents today! Yay! Carl is so excited about Christmas! I love those cookies too. We aren't doing any cookies this year as we don't have time. I love 'Scrooged'. So does my dad. We found it for a fiver in Tesco so we brought it! And babies!! That is so, so cool! Carl is squeeking considerably about it!

AliceKay said...

Your cookies look very good. I haven't baked any yet this Christmas, and I don't know when I'll have time....maybe between Christmas and New Years.

Wow..awesome for you holding that tiny baby. So precious. :)

Tori_Z said...

Rachel:
I bet Carl is totally hyper about the fact Christmas is so close. He gets SO excited, doesn't he?

I'm planning on buying most of these movies I've been watching at some point. Not sure when though.

LOL @ Carl squeaking about the baby.

AK:
Yeah, I know you've got a lot going on. Hope you do get to make some cookies during the holidays.

lemonade said...

the cookies look delish!!

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

those cookies look really scrummy and i wish i was there to try some, and yes i can see what is written on them, so you all enjoy them.

and congratulations to the proud parents of catlin:).

Tori_Z said...

Grandma:
We are enjoying them, thanks! :)

Robyn said...

Hi! Have a cool yule/sizzling solstice like we did!

Tori_Z said...

Sorry, Lemonade... Missed seeing your comment before... Anyway, thanks!

Thanks Robyn.

LadyStyx said...

The cookies look delish. I generally dont bake much anymore as hubby has diabetes (and hasnt much of a sweet tooth anyhow) and knowing I'll be the one to eat most of whatever I bake, well I certainly DONT need the help adding extra padding to this frame of mine.

Congrats to the neighbors above and their bouncing bundle of joy. You mentioned that some consider a baby lucky to be born on December 21st...why?

Tori_Z said...

LadyStyx:
Good reason not to do much baking.

Will answer the question later in a seporate post.