Friday, August 05, 2016

#Furkid Friday: The #Chinchilla And The Pea (FD)

Hi humans, rodent types, and anyone else reading this.

This is Maizie the chinchilla.

As you may already know, the weather's been all over the place over the last couple of months, but several days have been quite hot here. So, in an effort to help us keep cool on some of the hotter days, the human caretakers decided to hand out frozen peas to us rodents. They've done the same thing for the last couple of Summers, apparently. But for us chinchillas, the first time they did it this year was a whole new experience.

The human caretakers regularly hand out nibbles, so we're in the habit of taking whatever they offer. Even my chinchilla sister, Mollie, usually takes what the humans are offering now (except on her bad days). So, when the Mummy human was holding something out to me, I grabbed it without hesitation.

Imagine my surprise when the thing I grabbed was really cold, instead of the room temperature nibbles we're used to.

I jerked back in shock, as I'm sure you can understand. But the Mummy human continued to hold it out, so I went back to try again.

I was more cautious this second time, and gave it a tentative lick, then an experimental nibble. After that, I decided I liked this new nibble, and took it off to find a quiet corner of my cage to enjoy it in peace.

Mollie was much more cautious than me. This is partially because she is in general, but partially from watching my reaction too, I think. But she eventually decided she liked the frozen pea as well.

Plus, the cold nibbles helped us to keep cool, which is a good thing... Especially with all our thick fur!

Squeak soon,
Maizie

4 comments:

Rita said...

You have a smart human! I never would have thought of frozen peas--LOL! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yeah, great idea, isn't it? Strangely, it's also the only way she can persuade our degu brothers to eat their veggies, since none of them are too keen on fresh foods like that, but give them frozen peas on a hot day and they'll fight to be first to get some.

Squeak soon,
Maizie

Intense Guy said...

Next your human will put the pea on a toothpick so you can have a "Popsicle".

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
That would be great! Then we could also eat the stick afterwards...

Squeak soon,
Maizie