Wednesday, August 10, 2016

#Writing Wednesday - August 10th 2016

I've done some exercises as part of the 2016 KidLit Summer School that may potentially become stories (or appear in stories) in the future... Possibly. I've also written a couple of new poems, and done some work on a few stories I'm working on. But I haven't really been able to settle in to one project fully, so there's not much to report when it comes to my writing at the moment. Good thing I have "Jeffrey The Orange Alien" and "Eadweard - A Story Of 1066" scheduled for release in late August and mid October respectively, so you have something to look forward to while I mess about, and continue to flit between projects.

How about you? If you're a writer, how's your writing going? Have you been gathering story seeds? Is it going well? Or does your story need a heart transplant?

Regardless of how your current work in progress is going... Have you been considering starting up an author newsletter, but aren't sure where to start? This post on the how and why of author newsletters is a great starting point, I think. I've thought about starting an author newsletter, but it's never gotten further than a passing thought with me.

Newsletter or not, do you want some writing tips? If so, check out these six tips from a master linguist on how to be a better writer.

What kind of writing do you do? If you write dystopian stories of any kind, you might want to check out these tips for perfecting your dystopian world in five easy steps. Alternatively, if it's fantasy you write, you may want to check out this post on creating a sense of wonder in fantasy.

How about age range? Do you write for children? If yes, do you want to market your books to schools and classroom libraries? If yes, then read this post on selling to the educational market.

Regardless of the genre, or age range, you write for, if you're the kind of person who worries about whether your book is the right length, you should check out this post on how to know if your book is the right length.

Most important of all though... Don't let those rotten reviews and terrible trolls get you down!

2 comments:

Jeanie said...

No writing of late, apart from the blog. But into the art! Nonetheless, your writing tips and links are always very good and I'm so glad you post them. I've visited many!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
I'm glad you're getting plenty of art done. I'm also glad you enjoy the links so much. :)