Thursday, January 24, 2008

Foxes, teenagers, food & things

I'm not sure how I never got around to doing a blog for the past few days, I just somehow didn't get to it. I've not really been all that busy, so I can't use that as an excuse, and I've not been sick or anything, so I can't use that as an excuse either. I just never made it to the "new post" screen, and as a result never got around to writing and publishing a new post. Until now.

So, let me see...

Monday, Mam came down for the evening, and Mam and Elizabeth gave my kitchen a thorough cleaning. It wasn't a tip in there or anything, but the coffee pot got thrown out, and Kian's fish tank got thrown out, so Mam noticed that it was a bit dirty under stuff, and set to work with cleaning products. I'm just thankful she inlisted Elizabeth to help and not me. LOL!

Then Elizabeth went off to see her boyfriend so Mam and I could have a couple of hours with just the two of us before she had to go home.

At some point during this time, Mam took Kero out and they saw a fox. Mam said it was just stood there staring at them, until Kero decided it had to be chased away from "his" property and practically dragged Mam after it. Don't worry though, the fox got away easily. When Mam came in to tell me about it, I told her she should have brought Kero back in and grabbed my camera so she could get me a photo of it to put on my blog. She just said, "Well, I didn't," and went to make dinner. LOL!

I heard the fox (and I think its mate) later that night though. When I took Kero out for a pee before bed I heard the fox's "bark" and an answering fox's bark that was a little higher-pitched than the first. Not sure which one Mam and Kero had seen, but both foxes were over in the field across from us when I heard them late Monday night/early Tuesday morning.

Tuesday, Mam had to take Elizabeth in so she could see a couple of people about jobs, so they went and did our shopping for us, which meant Kelly didn't have to get up and go all the way in to do our shopping when they were in town anyway.

Elizabeth made toccos for dinner Tuesday, and we let her bring her boyfriend round for dinner. I'm not really a tocco person, but I know she makes them well and I know Kelly really enjoys them, so I said she could make them just this once, but not to expect to be making them on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, they were pretty good as toccos go, but I'm not the kind of person to sit eating toccos, enchilatas, etc more than once in a blue moon, if you know what I mean.

I had a real laugh Tuesday evening though. It was one of those situations where the best option is just to laugh about it. Those of you who have dealt with teenage sons and daughters will know where I'm coming from on this one, and those who haven't... Consider this a warning for when it's your turn to deal with a teenager. LOL!

Anyway, what happened was that I told Elizabeth to clean up any mess she makes, and wash up anything that's dirty as a result of her cooking. I pointed out that this refered to pots, pans, plates, cutlery, etc. So, no problem. She made dinner, cleared the table, wiped the table off, washed the stuff she'd gotten dirty, etc. She then went off to stay with her boyfriend the night, leaving the dishes on the drainer (which was fine, I'd told her I'd wipe them and put them away). A little while after she left, I went out in to the kitchen to put a dirty cup on the side by the sink, and wipe and put away the dishes, only to discover that while she'd washed everything that had gotten dirty from her cooking, the couple of cups and stuff that were on the side before she got home, which most people would have grabbed with the stuff they were washing, were still there. Like I said, I just laughed. I couldn't be angry with her. I mean, she'd done exactly what I asked her to. So, all I could do was stand in front of the sink and laugh until my sides hurt. So, future reference. Specify to a teenager that while they're washing the stuff they got dirty you'd really appreciate it if they could wash the other dirty dishes. LOL!

So, anyway, Wednesday (yesterday) Mam and Dad came down for dinner, and Mam made us all a lamb roast dinner. There was lamb, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, sprouts, carrots and broccoli. Very tasty! Much more my kind of dinner. LOL! There's still some roasties and veg left, so I'm going to have that with something later.

Kero got to have the bone from the lamb to gnaw on. He doesn't usually get bones, because usually we either get meat off the bone, or chicken or turkey (which dogs can't have the bones from, 'cause they shatter too easy and get stuck in their throats and stuff). The only other times there's a bone around are usually when we're up at my parents' place for dinner, but Willow gets those after we leave, because they're usually quite big (they'd need to be from a joint of meat big enough to feed six or more full grown humans and a couple of dogs, lol!) Kero wouldn't take the bone from Mam for some reason though. She even put it down by his bed, but he wouldn't touch it. So, I picked it up and gave it to him, and he's been carrying it about (occasionally stopping to gnaw on it for a bit) ever since. I guess he needed me to confirm it was alright for him to have it or something? *Shrugs*

Mam and Dad didn't stay as long as they usually would have, because my Mam's not too well at the moment. I told her loads of times that if she wanted to either go lay down and let Kelly finish making the dinner, or go home and let Kelly finish making the dinner then she could, but she was determine to cook that dinner. Mam's one of those who isn't very good at just sitting down for a bit, and will keep going until she physically can't get up. I wish she'd stop being stubborn and let others take over sometimes.

OK, well, there's no menu for this week, because we are still trying to figure out who's going to be where and when, so, I think that's just about everything, except for the fact that my not getting on here to do a proper blog post meant that I missed saying happy birthday to two people on my blog. They both got a "happy birthday" in other ways, but I want to say it on my blog, even though it's now late. So, "happy birthday" to little Cerys (the toddler from upstairs) who turned 2 on January 21st, and "happy birthday" to my friend Kati who had her birthday on January 22nd.

Enjoy your day! :)

Tori

9 comments:

AliceKay said...

I hope your Mam is feeling okay now. She sounds like someone I know. *hugs*

LadyStyx said...

Sounds like a few people actually Alice. *clears throat with a pointed look in Alice's general direction* I hope mom feels better soon Tori.

Time to make sure mom brings the camera out each time Kero is being walked. Maybe next time someone will get lucky and grab a few fox pix.

Tacos, yummy. We had them last night. I make them the soft kind with the flour tortillas.

Pets are funny like that. Our Katy will beg and beg off "her daddy" but will sit quietly for me. She also wont take treats from me until I say "yes" or "ok" and then she takes it gingerly. I had to start doing that with her because she gets over eager and nearly took my fingers off once tryin to get at a treat.

Tori_Z said...

AK:
Haven't spoken to her since she left, because she had to go out yesterday, so I don't know how she's doing.

LadyStyx:
Will do my best to get someone to get a fox pic, but it's not always easy to catch them like that, because of the noise from other people. If I manage to get someone to take one I promise to post it though.

Well, next time we have toccos you can have my ones, and I'll grab something else to eat. LOL!

I have that problem with Sakura. I know she's a cat (not sure she knows it though) but when you give her anything you've really got to watch your fingers. I nearly lost mine the other day, 'cause I was a tiny bit slow letting go of the piece of meat I had for her.

LadyStyx said...

They usually think they're very short people with more hair. At least any furbaby I've had does.

KAYLEE said...

Great post! How are you? Yeah I am okay st feeling really weak lately :(

Kati said...

Thanks for the lovely birthday wishes, Tori.

LOL That's funny about Kero not taking the bone from your mom, but needing your confirmation that it was ok. (Not that I think it's funny that he turned down something from her, but that he was so persnickety in this instance, even knowing your mom as well as he does.)

Hope you get a picture of your guest foxes soon!

Tori_Z said...

LadyStyx:
Yeah, that's how it usually is. LOL! Although, there are times they think they deserve better than humans too. Cheeky beggars! LOL!

Kaylee:
I'm fine, just not felt like being on the PC for a few days. Hope you're feeling better and not so weak now.

Kati:
You're welcome :)

Yeah, Kero's a funny little man. He knows Mam well enough to take food from her, and usually has no problems doing so. Personally I think it's because it's something he doesn't usually have. Although, knowing Kero it could also just be that she wasn't the right person. LOL!

I hope I can get a fox photo for you all, but I don't hold out much hope, since none of us have seen them since. I've heard them once since Monday night/Tuesday morning, but that's about it. Foxes aren't daft enough to hang around in plain sight.

Kati said...

Tori, sorry to confuse you. "Afghan" as I used it is not refering to an Afghanistani person, but to a "throw blanket" or "lap blanket", or maybe you call them "lap rugs". One of those lingo-type issues between our versions of English. *grin* Esp. knitted & crocheted blankets are often refered to as "afghans" in our common usage, and in books & patterns. Not so much any other type of blanket. Woven blankets are generally called "throws" and quilts are usually refered to simply as quilts. It does all gets rather confusing, now that I think about it.

Tori_Z said...

Kati:
Thanks :)