Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Mostly reviews

OK, this post might get a bit long, so you might want to grab a cuppa or something before you start reading it. LOL! There, you have been warned! LOL!

So... I started listening to an audio CD called "Victoria And The Rogue" by Meg Cabot on Wednesday evening. Since I wasn't doing much else it only took me until Thursday evening to finish listening to it. It's one of the stories I had for Christmas that sounded interesting, and it turned out to be pretty good. The story was about a young woman who agrees to marry a man only to make another jealous, but she wont admit it. I can't give too many details without giving too much away, so I'll just leave it at that, apart from saying that if you're a fan of romantic stories, you'll probably enjoy this one.

After I finished listening to that one, I started listening to "Nicholas Nickeleby" by Charles Dickens. I'm sure this one is a bit more widely known, but I'll tell you the basic plot anyway. It's the story of a young man named Nicholas Nickeleby (in case you didn't get that from the title) and how his uncle - Ralph Nickeleby - treated him and his sister and mother. Ralph was one of those people who only cared about the success of his buisseness and getting his hands on money. So, when Nicholas's father (whom he was named after) died and Nicholas and his mother and sister came to London in hopes he could help them, Ralph wasn't eager to help. He sent Nicholas to work at a poorly-run (to put it mildly) school for boys where he was to work for almost nothing, and used Kate (Nicholas' sister) in a sscheme. Basically, he made the lives of his remaining family members miserable, but Nicholas left the school he was meant to be working at and found himself a better job. Then he rescued his sister and mother from the situation they were in and helped a few other people along the way too. I don't know what else to say without re-telling the story. Anyway, it was quite a nice little story.

I can't remember if it was Thursday or Friday evening I watched "Wedding Crashers"... I think it was Thursday, but it doesn't really matter. Anyway, it's a movie about two men who crash weddings with the intension of taking advantage of the romantce in the air and getting to sleep with women, but then one of them falls in love with a woman he meets and things don't go as planned. Wasn't too bad of a movie. Funny in places, but not one of the best movies I've seen so far this year. Still, it was an OK movie.

On Saturday, my Mam came down to spend the afternoon, evening and night at my place. We didn't do much since I still wasn't feeling 100% and she's only just getting over her pneumonia. But, we did have a nice time, and that's all that matters.

We watched a movie called "I Am Sam" which is a really good movie (though, if you're one of those people who sometimes cry in sad movies, you'll need some tissues). The movie is about a mentally disabled man named Sam who has raised his daughter (Lucy) pretty much on his own for seven years, because Lucy's mother walked out and left him with the baby. Anyway, social workers and the like decide that Sam isn't capable of raising her now that she's older than his mental age, so Sam has to fight for custody of her. I really enjoyed it, and so did Mam. Like I said, it's a real tear-jerker though, so if you haven't seen it and are thinking of doing so, you might want to make sure you have some tissues handy.

Sunday, we went and had dinner at my parents' place. It was pouring with rain, so we couldn't walk (not that I was entirely disappointed about that) and the bus didn't show up, so Dad had to come down and get Mam, Kero and me to take us up there. We stayed the whole afternoon, and had a lovely lamb dinner (roast lamb, roast potatoes, sprouts, cauliflower and gravy). Then Kelly, Kero and I came home.

After we got home, I started listening to "Oliver Twist" by Charles Dickens, which I finished listening to yesterday. I'm sure most of you (if not all of you) know the story - at least a little. It is, of course, the story of the little orphan, Oliver Twist, who is cruely treated so runs away and ends up getting mixed up with theives and the like. He's then rescued by a kindly gentleman who takes pity on him, but is kidnapped from this gentleman by the theives he got mixed up with because they're worried he'll talk about them and have them locked up (or worse). I've seen the movie version several times, but this was my first time hearing the whole story. As usual, they leave a lot out in the movie. Anyway, it was a really good story, and, yes, I enjoyed it.

Yesterday (Monday) I didn't really do much of anything. Mam didn't come down, so I spent most of the afternoon catching up on blogs and watching TV.

One of the things I watched was a movie called "My Big, Fat, Greek Wedding." I've seen it before, but don't think I've ever mentioned it on here. I know I've seen it at least twice before, but one of those times was on a plane on the way to Canada a little over five years ago. LOL! Anyway, the movie is about a Greek woman who falls in love with a non-Greek man and her family aren't too happy about it. So, he does everything he can to try and make her family accept him as a suitable husband for their daughter. It's a very good movie. Or, I think it is anyway.

Today (Tuesday) Mam took me shopping. Usually when Mam takes me shopping we go to Asda, but we went to Tesco this time, because - apart from anything else - Mam's co-driver was limited with time today, and so was Mam. So, since Tesco is closer, that's where we went.

All I've done since then is take a nap, check blogs for new posts and watch a bit of TV. So, I think I'm out of things to write about. For now anyway. LOL!

Enjoy whatever's left of your day. :)

Tori

5 comments:

AliceKay said...

It's been snowing in Pennsylvania again today, Tori. I really wish I could send some your way. LOL

LadyStyx said...

Sounds like "Nicholas Nickeleby" is alot like "Oliver Twist" and "David Copperfield". I enjoyed both classics very much so I think the next time Im at the library, I'll look up the other and check it out.

*nodz* @ the "they leave alot out in the movies" comment...

Tori_z said...

AK:
I wish you could send some snow my way too.

LadyStyx:
Yes, authors seem to have a particular theme that their stories stick to. Or, most of their stories anyway. And, Charles Dickens is no acception.

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

I watched " sam " and yes it was very tearful and what a lovely film.

and i bet tori that you would run out and catch the snow if it was sent your way,lol.

Tori_z said...

Absolutely, Grandma, LOL!