Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Babbling 'bout books (LBE)

Over the weekend I managed to finish the book I'd been reading and read two short books as well. So I thought I'd do a bit of a book review post.

______

Title: The Happy Prince And Other Stories
Author: Oscar Wilde
Synopsis: A collection of four of Oscar Wilde's stories... "The Happy Prince" "The Young King" "The Devoted Friend" and "The Model Millionaire."
My opinion: It was a great book. The only story I actually recognised was "The Happy Prince" and that was from an almost forgotten mentioning by my brother. Anyway, I enjoyed all four stories. They may be difficult for people not familiar with the words of "Old English" to read and understand though.

______

Title: The Diary Of A Killer Cat
Author: Anne Fine
Synopsis: The diary of a cat who gets in all sorts of trouble just for being a typical cat.
My opinion: An amusing little book. Don't be put off by the title. It's not as deep and dark as it sounds. And - though there's the odd "not as nice as it could be" type of statement - it's not really graphic. It's just an amusing little book for children and the young at heart.

______

Title: The True Story Of The Three Little Pigs
Author: A Wolf (as told to Jon Scieszka)
Synopsis: Alexander T Wolf's side of the story of the three little pigs... It all starts with a headcold and a birthday cake for a beloved Granny.
My opinion: A very amusing version of the story. Definately good for a chuckle!

______

For anyone interested, I thought I'd post a list of the books I've got that are waiting to be read or listened to.

Audio books waiting to be listened to:

"Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain
"Hard Times" by Charles Dickens
"The Adventures Of Charlie And Mr Willy Wonka" by Roald Dahl

Books waiting to be read:

"Animal Ark Favourites" by Lucy Daniels
"Marginaliens"
"The widdows broom"
"Why The Whales Came" by Michael Morpurgo
"A Candle In The Forest" by Temple Bailey
"A Stocking Full Of Christmas Stories"
"Treasury Of Christmas Tales" (Various authors)
"The Raven And Other Poems" by Edgar Allen Poe
"Lizzie Dripping And The Witch"
"The Yellow Wallpaper"

Note: Authors included only if I remember them and don't have to get up and look. Otherwise you have to either look them up or wait until I read them to find out who the authors are.

I think I got all the ones I haven't read yet listed... I could be wrong though. *Shrugs*

Tori

4 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Did you ever have any luck finding the trilogy by "Michael Molloy" with the "The Witch Trade", "The Time Witches" and "The Wild West Witches" books?

I think "The Raven" by Edgar Allen Poe should be available in mp3 on-line somewhere like at the LibriVox.

Ah, I found it - The Raven

Jess said...

I really love Michael Morpurgo - I hope you will enjoy Why the Whales Came.

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
Cool... Will have to grab that. Be nice to hear it as well as reading it from time to time. Haven't heard it in some time (don't know any others of his properly).

We found the 1st book for £15 and the place it's coming from says that the 2nd and 3rd parts and available on audio "yet." But my Nan (who's a member of the place) is keeping an eye out for them coming out for me. She's also planning on getting me the first book and putting it aside for my main Christmas pressie from her. She asked if I minded her doing that and I told her I didn't. I mean, even if I ordered it now it would be almost October before I had it anyway, so it wont hurt me to wait a couple of months extra.

Jess:
I did hear part of "why the whales Came" on BBC 7 a couple of weeks back, which is why I looked for it. What I heard was really good.

Tori_z said...

*and available = aren't available. Oops! LOL!