Friday, September 05, 2008

It's not even 4:30 am yet! (R/WP)

Wednesday I went to bed about 11:30 pm (maybe a bit earlier) but was still trying to get to sleep at 5:30 am. Soon after that Kelly got up, so rather than getting up at 6:30 am as I'd intended to because of the table coming any time after 7:00 am, I stayed in bed. I finally fell asleep about 8:00 am, and was woken about 8:35 am by Kero's groomer arriving to pick him up. It took me until almost 9:30 am to get back to sleep. The postman came with a stack of parcels about 10:30 am. And that was the end of my sleep attempts.

So last night (Thursday night) I went to bed around 8:00 pm because I was tired. About 10:00 pm I was just dozing off when Kero decided he needed to go out for a pee. So I took him out and went back to bed. I think it was some time around 11:30 pm I finally got to sleep. I woke about 2:00 am... Just before 4:00 am - when Kero realised I was awake so wanted outside again - I gave up and got up.

And that's what it's been like for me almost every night for the past couple of months! Sure, I get the odd night where I manage to get a little more sleep (like I'll sleep solidly from around midnight to about 4:30 am ish). But that's it. I used to sleep a minimum of 8 hours a night.

I wonder if the fact I'm not doing much is causing the problem? Maybe I've gotten in to this vicious cycle of not doing much so not sleeping much, but not doing much because I'm tired from not sleeping much? Makes sense, right?

*Shrugs helplessly*

OK, whiney post over. ;)

Tori

8 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

Please see a doctor if this keeps up.

I really hope you get a good night's sleep soon. I can suffer from insomnia and I hate it.

Do you practice good sleep maintenance?

Tori_z said...

Whim:
Good sleep maintenance? *looks confused*

KAYLEE said...

i am doing great tori! sorry :(

LadyStyx said...

*looks up sleep maintenance*

Hmmm...looks like a few things I should add to my day and maybe I'd sleep better...

Jess said...

My friend used to suffer terrible sleep problems. Her solution was create a clear distinction between day adn night - "sleeptime" adn "awaketime". I.e. be very active during the day.
I realize this might be difficult, but you could try.

There are also articles in lots of magazines instructing on how to get a good nights sleep - meditation, few screens, dim lights etc.

I hope you mangae to get those 12 hours you deserve soon!

Tori_z said...

Whim:
Never mind... I looked it up. LOL!

Been there, done that! And btw, I've seen a doctor, they just say the same thing they always used to about my brother (Carl) who's never slept more than a couple of hours in one go (or even one night as a rule)... They blame the fact my body clock is confused due to lack of light perception.

Kaylee:
I'm glad you're doing OK. *hugs*

Styxie:
Hope they work for you.

Jess:
Tried most of those techniques... Read the part of my comment aimed at Whim.

Intense Guy said...

I wonder if a sun (full spectrum) lamp would help - not that the light perception would change but if you felt the warmth on your skin - you might "learn" to preceive it in another way.

I know the one I have really has a marked effect on my mood - especially on dark dreary days.

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
Interesting idea. I don't think it would though. I'd probably just end up feeling too hot. I don't deal with heat very well.