Sunday, September 07, 2008

A squirrel poem I found

I found this poem recently while looking for Autumn themed stuff to post in the next couple of months. And I thought that - under the circumstances - it would be a good thing to share. ;)

***~***

Squirrel

Did you see the squirrel,
racing to the tree?
Must have found a walnut
which had escaped from me.
I saw the green leaves flutter,
The woody branches quake.
Knew he found some treasure,
I'd missed through some mistake.
Yet, I'm glad 'twas he who found it,
Better he than I,
For I would probably eat it,
never asking why.
Just some thoughtless action,
when my mind was buried in,
some fantasies, realities,
some feelings there within.
And then you see, unknowingly,
unwittingly, I would,
Hurt this fellow part of life,
by stealing from his rude.
And taking from his meager means,
I'd cause him seek for more,
I'd trouble him so needlessly,
as I have done before.

But, today I noticed him,
his scramble for his meat,
And feeling somewhat wiser now,
I applaud his furry feet.
I'll trouble him no, further,
Not from this moment on.

But, how often in the past,
Have I done this kind of harm?

May 22, 1970 - Linda A. Copp

10 comments:

Intense Guy said...

*looks around to see if anyone is looking - doesn't wanted to be accused of stealing squirrel's nuts*

:) I enjoyed the poem - make ya think about how had it is to find, hide, bury, re-find, your food in the wilds.

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

oh i say tori what a sweet poem, and i love the what you have put on the side " dont eat or drink " while reading this, that is also very good.

ChicagoLady said...

That was a great find, Tori. I have watched squirrels bury nuts or whatever food they found in various holes made in the ground, only to never see them return to dig them back up. I seem to think, after burying them, they forget where they buried them. That just makes survival all the harder for our furry friends.

LadyStyx said...

cute poem :)

Jess said...

The whole world has gone squirrel crazy, soon enough we'll be purchasing the little furry animals in our pet shops!

Tori_z said...

Glad you all enjoyed the poem... I thought you might. :)

Iggy:
There was a meeting held to determine if you were responsible, but nothing could be proved since there were no witnesses, and the squirrel in question was to traumatised to testify. So the charges were dropped... For now! ;)

Chicago:
It is possible that they do forget. Poor squirrels (and other animals who have the same problem).

Jess:
You probably can in some countries. LOL!

AliceKay said...

That was a great poem. Makes you stop and think.

Tori_z said...

AK:
Yes, it does.

Punkn said...

Really good poem, Tori. Makes me realize I wouldn't make a good squirrel lol. I'd never re-find my nut.

Tori_z said...

LOL @ Punkn!