Saturday, September 20, 2008

Birthdays and a book review

First of all, yesterday (Friday) was my friend Mel's birthday. So, a VERY happy birthday to her. :)

Secondly, today (Saturday) is Jason (a family friend)'s birthday. So, a VERY happy birthday to him too. :)

It was also Sam (Sam from the "Alliance United" post)'s birthday a few days ago. I meant to say something at the time, but didn't get to it. And now I can't remember exactly which day it was. I know it was the start of the week, but not sure of the exact day now. Kelly's going to check for me later so I can add her to our "Important Dates" page. I did ask him to say happy birthday to her via whispers on W.O.W at the time though. But, anyway, I thought I'd wish her a belated happy birthday on here since I always try and give people a birthday mention (even if it's at least a few days late).

Hope all of you enjoyed your special days (or, in Jason's case, hope you're enjoying your special day). *Hugs*

***~***

I listened to one of my audio books the other day. Actually, I suppose it was "technically" two audio books. It's called "The Adventures Of Charlie And Mr. Willy Wonka" and contains both the "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory" and the "Charlie And The Great Glass Elevator" (or is it "Willy Wonka And The Great Glass Elevator"...? I'm not too sure... It's something about a "Great Glass Elevator" though) books by Roald Dahl. So, like I said, it's "technically" two audio books.

Anyway...

I'm sure you're all familiar with at least the first part. It's the story of Charlie Bucket's visit to Willy Wonka's chocolate factory after being one of the five children to find a golden ticket inside a "Wonka bar." And the second part - which isn't as well known as the first part - is the story of Charlie Bucket and his family ending up in space in Willy Wonka's glass elevator.

They're great stories... Very funny and imaginative!

***~***

Haven't really got anything else to say, and I've got a few things I want/need to get done that involve me not being on the laptop. So I'll just say that I hope those who aren't well, and those who had to go for surgery, and those just generally feeling low are feeling better and are soon back to their old selves. *Sending hugs to those in need of them*

Enjoy whatever's left of your day. :)

Tori

6 comments:

Celticspirit said...

I love the Willy Wonka story and I'm glad you're enjoying your audio books. The only audio type book's that I've ever listened to were Sylvia Browne. Ok back to Willy Wonka...I have both of the movies...the old one and the newer one with Johnny Depp. I like them both equally. I remember a couple of years back they were putting golden tickets in Willy Wonka bars (the big ones) but I don't know what the prize was. I do see some Willy Wonka candy now and then and when I was little I used to buy them.
Well that's about it. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

ChicagoLady said...

I love the Everlasting Gobstopper, too bad it's not shaped funny like in the original Willy Wonka movie.

LadyStyx said...

Happy Birthday Mel, Jason and Sam!!

Kati said...

Wishing all your friends a happy (belated in a couple cases) Birthday! Hope it's a good one, for them.

Ya know, I've never read "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", or the _Great Glass Elevator_, but as a kid I had a book of short(ish) stories by Roald Dahl that had one awesome story in it that I just loved. Also loved "The BFG (big friendly giant)" when we read it in school. Some of Roald Dahl's work is semi-disturbing, most of it's pretty great. Glad you're enjoying your audio-books, Tori!

(((((HUGS))))) right back at-ya!!!! Hope you have a fantastic week!

Punkn said...

Happy Birthday to everyone who had one recently!

The Willy Wonka movies was one of my kids' favorites. I can't say I ever read the book, which is strange, because I pretty much read everything I can get my hands on!

Tori_z said...

Barb:
The prize was the same as in the stories, except that they didn't choose one lucky boy or girl to inherit the factory. The kids just got to go visit the factory.

Chicago:
Nothing's ever the same in real life if it's created for a book or movie. Which is a shame. I'd have loved to be able to try some of the stuff in these books/movies!

Kati:
I've got a lot of Roald Dahl's books. I used to have pretty much all of them in print, now I'm starting my colection again on audio.

Punkn:
Maybe it's time to try and get hold of them and read them? :)