Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Calenders, my weekend, etc (LBE)

It's the first of December today, and you know what that means, right? Yep... Advent calenders start today! What? It's tradition! Since I've been old enough for them I think I've only ever missed one Christmas, and that was because I left it too late and couldn't find one anywhere! But every year since then I've grabbed one as soon as they're in the shops. I've had this year's advent calender - which is a Winnie The Pooh one - since early to mid October. LOL! And Mam helped me put braille numbers on it yesterday so that I can find the right doors myself, because finding the right door for each day is part of the fun... That's why they're all jumbled up!

Anyway...

As anyone who's been reading my blog since Friday will know, we spent the weekend at my parents' place.


We didn't do much on Friday, but on Saturday Mam and I went out for a large part of the day. It should have only been a couple of hours, but we ended up doing a couple more things than planned, plus we ended up having something to eat while we were out, since it was passed lunch time, we hadn't eaten since breakfast, and we still had a couple more things to do before going back to their place.

We went to Asda to check the price of Sky boxes, because I'm helping them put their Sky back on, but they need another box, and the person I talked to from Sky hardly spoke English, so I couldn't figure out what she was trying to say. Anyway, Asda sells accessories for the boxes (controls, new leads, etc) but they didn't seem to have the boxes. So we decided to go to Currys, because they deal with people like Sky and such, so they could give us a straight answer. And they did too! The Sky is being set up on December 8th. We were only checking prices and planning on waiting until after the new year, but they had an offer we wanted to take advantage of, and it ends just after Christmas (I believe the actual date is December 28th).


Then we went to Borders, and... Well, you can read my second Saturday post to see what happened there. It ended with Mam getting an audiobook for me for Christmas, and me having one for now. I got "The Borrowers" by Mary Norton. I did pick the Christmas one myself, but I can't remember what it was called. Which is good really, because then it will still sort of be a surprise. :)

After that we went and had something to eat in Tescos cafe, then did a couple of bits of shopping in Tescos. Then we went back to our place to fetch something, and ended up staying for a while talking to Eleri. And, after that, we had to go back to Tescos again, because we'd forgotten something. Well, at least we remembered then! Then we went back to my parents' place.

On Sunday, Mam and I started cleaning up their spare room ready for when Carl and Rachel come to stay for Christmas. Then she helped me play on her Nintendo Wii for a while. Turns out I'm quite good at pitching for her baseball game, and at bowling. In fact, the bowling game I can basically play by myself once she's got me through the main menu. I just need someone to do that bit and tell me my score at the end. I played the bowling game again Monday morning. I managed to almost catch up with her high score, and earned a silver medal on the bowling game for it. Mam's high score is 567, mine is 524! I think I got a bit over enthusiastic though, because my right arm started aching yesterday afternoon, and it's really killing me this morning. I am known for getting a bit too enthusiastic when weilding bats and balls of any kind though. And the last time I went bowling for real, I got so enthusiastic I ended up sliding a little way down the lane after the ball, and had to crawl as best I could close enough to the end to grab Kelly's hand and have him pull me up, because I couldn't stand up. LOL! And the last time I played a game involving a bat and a ball, I missed the ball and hit the poor dog instead. I didn't do any damage to anything during the short time I was trusted with the Wii baseball bat though. But we think that's because there was no actual ball for me to try and hit, and I just had to concentrate on the swing. Dad did ask that I stay more towards Mam's ornaments than his though, since it was her idea to let me use the bat itself. LOL!

I think that just about covers the weekend. We were going to walk the dogs, but it was absolutely pouring with rain, and not even they were interested in going for a walk. They only showed half-hearted interest even when their leads were touched, and when they saw the rain they lost even that bit of interest in the idea. So we didn't bother. I mean, they have a big garden there, and why get soaked when even the dogs don't want to set a single paw out of the door?

So, let me see... What else has been going on? Well...

The weather has been awful! Basically, rain, rain, and... Oh yes, that's right... More rain, of course! With the odd dry spell, thunder storm and hail shower thrown in! And this weekend we started getting proper frosts, especially first thing in the morning and last thing in the evening.


As you'll know if you've read the craft update I posted yesterday, I've been extremely busy with crafts lately. I've finished most of the projects I had that I wanted to make. I just need to make a couple more things that are to do with the handmade giveaway thing, and a couple of bits I promised to make for a family friend. Then I can see about making the couple of items I wanted to make for myself. After that, I may make a couple of bits and see if I can sell them on ebay. ;)

I seem to have achieved something resembling a sleep pattern. How long it will last is anyone's guess, but for now I'm managing a good 6 to 8 hours a night, and it is actually at night too! :)

And I've been joining in with the roleplaying sessions, since I don't mind an odd game, and the campaignes do sound interesting. Roleplaying is postponed until after the holidays now though, because this side of Christmas most people just don't have the time to fit sessions in, and - in the case of the GM (that's Games Master, for anyone who doesn't know) - do the necessary prep work for each session. So we decided it would be best for everyone if it was postponed for now. Which gives me more time to get around to getting more dice. I do have a set... It's a purple set I got from Kelly. He didn't actually buy it for me though. It was his, and I swapped it with him for the set I had originally, which I've had since I was about 8 or 9. I wouldn't have swapped it normally, but Kelly's set was purple! It doesn't give me enough dice for most of the systems though, so I need to go get some more. Bet I can't get any more purple ones though! Well, if that's the case, I'll have to just get what I can and put up with it.

I've not really been playing on Valhalla though. Carl (my brother) and I did have a couple of Saturday morning sessions together, but various other things kept happening, so we ended up only doing that for a couple of weeks before abandoning the idea, and I haven't really been on there since. I've been too busy doing other things. As it is I'm often not getting to blogs each day. It really is a good game, but it will still be there when I'm ready to play. Besides, Carl is spending a lot of time on another mud (multi user dungeon) type game he's found, so he's not exactly missing me while I'm not on Valhalla. In fact, until the next time we play together, when he realises I haven't really levelled up, he probably wont even realise I'm not playing... He could just think that I just haven't gotten around to updating my characters on Dad's forum. Well, unless he reads this, because if he does then he'll know for sure I've not been on. But he very rarely comes and reads my blog, so I doubt he'll read this post.

I have no idea what I'll be doing today. Well, I know I need to make bread, because I didn't bother when we got home yesterday (it was close to dinner time, so I didn't expect we'd need any last night) and we don't have any. But other than that? *Shrugs* I'll probably go and listen to some audiobooks and work on some more of those craft items I need/want to make. I do have a few audiobooks to listen to still from the ones Iggy sent me... Thanks again for those, Iggy... Plus I now have "The Borrowers" to listen to. So, unless something else I need to do crops up, I expect that's what I'll do. Either that, or I'll carry on working on getting the Christmasy posts I have planned for this month scheduled. No, I'm not telling you about them yet. I will soon though... Honest! Or, perhaps I'll do a bit of both? Work on posts for a bit, make bread, then go and listen to audiobooks while working on crafts? Yes, that sounds like a plan!

OK, well, I think that's all I want to say for now. Anything else either can - or needs to - wait a while.

I hope you are all happy and healthy!

Enjoy your day! Stay safe, and stay warm! :)

Tori

9 comments:

AliceKay said...

Sounds like you had a very busy weekend. I'm glad you're able to get out and about like that.

Nintendo Wii bowling is great. Marty bought a Wii when it first came out and bowling is my favorite game. (i used to be on a real bowling league) It's been awhile since I've played it, tho.

Hope your day is going well. Time for me to get ready for work. *hugs*

Deanna said...

Sorry about all that nasty rain. I've never had an Advent calendar. I do believe I've been deprived. You sure are keeping busy these days!

Intense Guy said...

Thats a pretty good virtual game if your arm gets tired! LOL!

You sound so busy - I need a nap after I read about all your adventures.

MarmiteToasty said...

you knacker me out LOL

x

Tori_z said...

AK:
Mam's had the Nintendo Wii for about a year now, but this is my first time trying to play on it.

I've never been in a bowling league, but I did bowl a fair amount at various times in the past. Was never all that good, but... *Shrugs*... Who cares?

Yeah, my day was OK.

Deanna:
Yep, you've been deprived... Everyone should have a chocolate filled advent calender at least once! You should buy yourself one!

Iggy:
Yeah... The games on the Nintendo Wii are very interactive, so it's a good way to get exercise both without really feeling like it's exercise and without getting soaked in the rain. Walks are best, but with the rain we've had lately even the dogs haven't wanted to go out there. I've tried, but some days it's just too wet!


Toasty:
You're knackered? Well, you only read it... Imagine how knackered I was! ;)

Dorkys Ramos said...

We never had advent calendars growing up. I don't think it's something my people get all into, but I saw so many cute ones floating around the web, I wanted one too! Plus, I actually have time to get back into crafts so I've been doing my ornaments and really have to get on this year's cards.

Celticspirit said...

I'm tired just reading about all your activities! Sounds like lots of fun. Maybe that game is good exercise since it's tiring your muscles out?
Have a great day Tori!

Tori_z said...

Dorkys:
That's a good reason to have one!

I'm later than usual sorting cards too. I normally have most - if not all - of them sent out by now. But not this year!


Barb:
I'm hoping so. It'll be more fun than the gym anyway. ;)

LadyStyx said...

I had an Advent calendar once or twice while growing up. One year it had candies and the other had Christmas ornaments in it.

Seem to be things lately keeping many of us from our usual bloggy rounds. Holy cow...I can't believe how far behind I am!