Monday, April 13, 2015

Cafe In The Crypt & The Sherlock Holmes Museum (LBE & FD)

Last Thursday (April 9th 2015) Kelly and I went up to London for the day.

We got a train up to Charing Cross, where we met up with author, writer, and world creator - not to mention, friend of mine - Barb, who we had lunch with at Cafe In The Crypt at St Martins In The Field.

Here are some photos Kelly took while we were in the cafe:


And here's a photo of me and Barb that was taken just outside the cafe:


Barb brought me a couple of gifts...

These beautiful necklaces, which she made a while back, when she used to make jewelry:


And some French chocolate:


Fantastic gifts, I think... Thanks again, Barb! :)

After we'd had lunch on Thursday, we headed to The Sherlock Holmes museum and Barb took a photo of Kelly and me outside it before she left us to join the long line to get in. Here's the photo:


These are our tickets to enter the museum:
We still have them, which is lucky, because we wouldn't have gotten photos otherwise, since we didn't think to take photos of them at the time; the photos of the tickets were taken at home the day after our trip up to London.

Anyway, since only a limited number of people could go in at once, this nice police man was in charge of making sure only a certain number of people went inside at once:


After a bit of a wait - though, not as long a wait as we were told to expect - we went inside.

First stop, Sherlock Holmes' study:



Where I took a seat on his sofa...
(Yes, it was OK to do so; the woman supervising us told me to sit on any of the chairs I wanted; I only sat on the sofa though).

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would have likely had a similar study in which to sit and write the adventures of Sherlock Holmes. Though I dare say he wouldn't have been as concerned as us about whether or not his presence disturbed anything in it, and I bet his wasn't as tidy either; at least, not for very long. It would be great to have a study like that where I could work on my writing!

Anyway, the next stop was Sherlock Holmes' bedroom:


Where I stood for a while...
...Talking to the woman who was supervising us.

While Kelly got shots of some of the other things there were to see...

Like the things in Dr. Watson's room:


Some letters to Sherlock holmes:


And some Sherlock Holmes themed waxworks:


Then I got to try on some hats:


Before we headed to the gift shop, where I got my very own Sherlock Bear:


After that, we got a taxi from near Baker Street station back to Charing Cross station to go home, which took us past Trafalgar Square, so we grabbed a photo of Nelson's Column and three of the lions while we were waiting in traffic:


OK, we actually did the photo because I wanted one of the lions; I admit it... I'm obsessed with lions!

I'd have liked to stop and go see the lions, but we weren't sure how easy it would be to get a taxi afterwards, and didn't want to have to pay the one we had to wait for us - nor did we want to have to walk from there to Charing Cross, since we'd have probably managed to get lost. Should have thought about it when we still had Barb with us, since she'd have probably known the way. Actually, I'm positive she would have, since the cafe wasn't far from where the lions were, so I'm kicking myself for not thinking about it at the time. But I didn't, so I didn't get to make friends with the lions... Maybe another time?

Anyway, that was our day out in London, which was exhausting but fun!

Oh, and.. Yes.. I did get my hair cut; in case you noticed, and were going to ask. I had it done a week before these photos were taken.

8 comments:

Intense Guy said...

That looks like a cool place to visit! The Cafe and the Museum were a perfect pairing!

Goodness - what a collection of somewhat macabre items! I love the mummies and shots of you with the different hats on! Oh, and the stuffed Sherlock Bear is so cute!

Your friend Barb gave you some fabulous things! I like your haircut - you look like you were having a grand old time!

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Glad you liked the pictures.

Yes, it was a great day out! :)

Lauren Stoolfire said...

Cool pictures and it sounds like you had great time! When I visited London in 2011, I had lunch at the Cafe in the Crypt at St. Martin's in the Field. Very unique experience - a little eerie, but amazing. On that trip, I was unable to stop by the Sherlock Holmes museum although I would have loved it. I'll have to stop the next time I'm in London. Unfortunately, it's an 8-9 hour flight for me...

Rita said...

So great to meet up with a friend and do some really cool stuff! What a fun museum! The wax figures are always a little creepy, but the rest was fascinating. What a fun time. Next time I hope you get to visit the lions. :) I like your teddy Sherlock, too.

Victoria Zigler said...

Lauren:
Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoyed the photos! :)

I agree about the café in the crypt; a very unique experience, indeed!

Yes, you should try to go to the Sherlock Holmes museum next time you fly over to London.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Thanks; glad you enjoyed the photos!

Yes, I'll hopefully get to go make friends with the lions next time. :)

Jeanie said...

Tori, this looks exactly like the kind of place I would visit if I was in London -- in fact, it's now on my "Someday" list! Thanks for the tour!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Glad you enjoyed the photos, and I hope you can get over here to visit it yourself!