Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Wednesday's writing related ramblings - April 15th 2015

It's a shame my laptop no longer holds its charge well enough that I can use it for more than a few minutes without it being plugged in, or I could have made the most of the little over three hours I spent on trains last Thursday going to and from London (the trip is a little over an hour and a half each way).

It's times like that my lack of sight is frustrating, because I would have had pen and paper as an option if I could still see; and I'd have used the option, as I've done on train rides many times in the past... I always used to have pen and paper with me, and have written while on trains (and busses) so many times I couldn't begin to count them. I actually often miss being able to do so.

However, since neither the laptop nor pen and paper were an option, I got no writing done on Thursday... I took my Kindle and read instead, and was too tired to do much of anything when I got home.

Thursday was fun though, so I'm not complaining!

Besides, I got my poem for this week written for my personal NaPoWriMo challenge, and did some work on the "Zeena Dragon Fae" books too. So I achieved this week's writing goals, which is all that matters. :)

***

Are you new to writing? Or, perhaps, you've been writing for ages, but are only now thinking about publishing?

Either way, here's how to thrive as an indipendant author; in case you were thinking of going down that route.

***

Got an eReader that's not a Kindle? Check out the listings on this site; you may just find your next great read! A couple of the authors have paperback versions of their books listed too.

Also, if you're an author and you've got a book you want listed on the site, which is available in formats other than mobi, on sites other than Amazon, you're in luck! Simply follow these instructions and you'll soon have your very own listing.

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

It is a shame you were frustrated with the attempt to write while on the train. I suspect voice dictation isn't all that helpful if you can't turn it into "text" easily.

Frowns. Hugs.

Jeanie said...

I get frustrated on trips when I can't read or write. I can really sense your frustration.

Rita said...

Oh bummer. I've had laptops that didn't work at all anymore unless they were plugged in. My Mac used to go for 6-7 hours, but after five years it still will last maybe two or so. Better batteries than any of the Windows laptops I've ever had, that's for sure. :) Glad you got your weekly quota done, regardless.

Victoria Zigler said...

Iggy:
Voice dictation wouldn't work, because it would be difficult to hear it with all the background noise unless I spoke loudly, and I wouldn't want to do that in case it disturbed anyone. Plus, it doesn't give me any extra writing time, because - as you mentioned - I'd still have to get it written up.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Thanks! I'm sorry you sometimes have to deal with the same frustrating issue.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
It doesn't help in my situation that having Jaws running reduces the battery life to start with (speech software reduces the battery life on everything, so I even get less time with my Kindle than most people do before it needs to be charged). So the laptop - well, netbook, really - that I have only lasted about three hours even when it was new, because of Jaws running the whole time.

Anyway, thanks... I'm glad I managed to reach my writing quota for the week too!