Monday, August 03, 2015

Monday's random mutterings: a medical rant (R/WP)

At the start of last week, I made sure there were blog posts set up for the rest of that week, and for this week, because I had my dentist appointment at the hospital to get the other wisdom tooth removed.

Or, I thought I did.

However, when I got there, I was informed that it had been cancelled and rescheduled for August 12th. According to their system, they spoke to me on the phone about it.

I had no such phone conversation. I mean, I had one in June about the June appointment I cancelled because I had that Summer cold – which was when I made the one that should have happened on July 29th – but that was the last time I knew of any changes being made to the time and date of my appointment. Besides, if I had changed it, I wouldn’t have made it for the 12th of August, because I have somewhere I have to be on August 13th in the morning, so I’m not exactly going to book an appointment that may potentially result in my ending up in hospital for a few days, and then arrange to be somewhere else the very next morning. And, no, I can’t reschedule that other appointment; it’s very important that I go to it.

Yes, I pointed all this out to the receptionist.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, my appointment with the hospital dentist is now on September 2nd 2015 at 2:15pm, because it’s the first available one they have after the one I can’t make it to on August 12th.

Of course, even though being blind means I’m entitled to free hospital transport to and from the hospital (and allowed someone with me to assist me if I choose, though they’ll assist me if I’m alone) they were reluctant to give me the hospital transport, because I can’t give them a straight answer as to whether I’ll be coming home after my appointment or not, so we ended up paying for a taxi to and from the hospital. Meaning, I wasted all that money on a trip I could have avoided taking.

Needless to say, I wasn’t too happy about it all.

If that wasn’t enough...

While in the taxi on the way to the hospital last Wednesday, I happened to catch the news on the radio.

That was how I learned that we currently don’t have a general doctor, because the doctor surgery we use is currently closed. I’m not sure if it will be open again in the future with different doctors, but I can tell you for sure it won’t be any time soon, since it’s closed because the doctors were idiots.

No, really... I’m being serious! It’s closed because the doctors weren’t doing their jobs properly, and there have been enough complaints about patients not receiving proper care to make someone do a proper investigation in to it.

I guess my claims that my doctor was an idiot weren’t as much of an exaggeration as I thought... *frowns*

Anyway, I’m not sure if nobody thought to tell the patients, or if they did tell the patients, but for some reason sent our letters to our old address. Either way, I guess I need to find us a new doctor.

You know you’ve had a bad day when you wish you’d had your tooth pulled instead... LOL!

Actually, the whole week was one of those where you want to just go back to the beginning and start again. Nothing really bad happened as such... Just lots of little things that all add up, you know?

Oh, and... If you’re wondering... The post I had scheduled for today has been rescheduled for use at the start of September when I “hopefully” will actually get this other wisdom tooth out.

2 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I think you have every reason to "rant"!! Goodness what a mess!

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Iggy!