Monday, April 28, 2008

The cats' tale


For the first time in ages I really don't know what to say. But, I need to somehow write this post and tell you all - especially those of you interested in what happens with the furkids - what happened.

Those of you who have seen a fair few photos of mine will recognise the cats in the photos I've put in this post as our cats. The all black one is Sakura Avalon and the tortoise shell (otherwise known as "Calico") coloured one is Megan Zara Rose. You may even have read a bit about them on "our Pets' Page" at some point. The photos were taken about a week ago.

Anyway...

We've had both cats since they were young kittens. They are now around 3 years old (Sakura turns 4 in August, Megan turns 3 in June). But, since I lost the bit of sight I'd had we've had a few problems with having the cats around. I've lost count of the number of times I've stepped on them, fallen over them, etc. And yet, they seemed unable to grasp the idea that if they just moved out of the way they (and I) wouldn't have gotten hurt. It's OK with Kero. He'll move, plus if I'm doing something in the kitchen where I really need to not have anyone under my feet, I can shut the baby gate we have on the door to shut him out. Same rules would apply if it were a child. But the cats... You can't stop them with a gate, because they'll jump it. And everyone knows you can't tell a cat what to do. I know I was able to teach Megan (and Chance) to come and beg on command (and, in Megan's case, sit too) but I was lucky with that.

Well, anyway, I'm rambling, and want to get to the point before I change my mind about being ready to write this. So, here goes...

A couple of weeks ago we (Kelly and I) decided we couldn't let this go on any longer. We were - still are - concerned for the cats well-being (not to mention my safety). We love our cats, and always will. That's why we made the decision we did. We decided to rehome the cats.

They left early Saturday morning. They're spending a few days staying at the vet to be cared for and checked to make sure I never hurt them all those times I stepped on them (I mean, I'm not exactly light) and are meant to go to a new home some time this week.

When we discovered we weren't having any luck persuading friends (or friends of friends) to take them, we were going to take them to a rescue centre. But none would take them. We were informed that there were loads of kittens so no room for cats of their age (3 years old isn't much more than a kitten... Cats can live to be 20 or more sometimes) and that if we couldn't keep them we should put them to sleep. Needless to say we had no intension of doing so. The whole point of rehoming them was to keep them safe from harm, not because we just didn't want them. We did want them, but we wanted them to be safe. So, we refused to do that and called the vet to ask what we should do. The vet was relieved we weren't prepared to resort to that, and because of the circumstances was willing to allow the cats to use an unoccupied cage at the vet while they arranged a home for them. For which, we are very greatful.

We are appauled and shocked at the responses from so-called animal rescue centres. We appreciate that sometimes they don't have room to take in any more animals, but how can they tell you to put them to sleep? They're young. They're healthy. They're spayed (so no danger of them producing any unwanted kittens) and they are both very sociable (even Sakura, though she can sometimes have a bit of attitude). If they were old and sick, fair enough. But they aren't. And, as we told the rescue centres, we'd have prefered to keep them and hope for the best than give them that jab. Thankfully though, we were able to find them somewhere where they'll not have me stepping on them or falling over them, but will still be able to live a long and - I hope - happy life.

I really hope whoever they are going to can learn to love them as we do, and that - wherever they go - they will be as happy as they were here when I could still see them and avoid stepping on them every five minutes.

Tori

6 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Im so glad you didnt take the advice of those shelters! When I adopt I always will deal with a no-kill shelter before any other becaues they'll keep the animal as long as it takes to get it rehomed.

*HUGZ* that was a hard thing to have to do....I dont think I could have done it to be honest.

Tori_z said...

LadyStyx:
Most of these shelters were "meant to be" no kill shelters. We never would have gone to them otherwise. I'm just glad we found out their "real" policy before the cats were put in their care so we could find them somewhere they'd get to stay alive.

AliceKay said...

*BIG HUGS* I know that must have been a very, very hard decision. My heart goes out to you and Kelly.

Intense Guy said...

*Hugs*

Wow, that was a tough thing to do - and I feel bad that you had to do so. Your furkids are your kids - even the socially dullest of us (meaning me) knows what that means.

I know I couldn't have done such a brave and thoughtful thing -

*hugs*

Tori_z said...

Thanks AK and Iggy

Kati said...

Awww, I'm sorry you had to get rid of your cats, Tori!!! I'm also glad that you didn't take the bone-head advice given by the shelters and instead found your loveys some nice new homes to live in.