Friday, April 04, 2008

Feeling pretty proud of myself

I'm feeling pretty proud of myself today, and I'm sure most of you will understand why when I tell you what I did today.

I did the walk to town all by myself.

OK, so anyone new to my blog will be wondering what the big deal is with that. Well, for those people I will explain.

I've always had a bit of an eyesight problem, but until September 2007 I had enough sight so I could get around by myself and such. Well, when I lost the bit of sight I had, I stopped being able to do that. And, with us moving to an area I don't know quite as well, I thought it was going to be longer before I would be able to go anywhere without someone else. But, after walking with other people to town and back several times, I was sure I could do it by myself. So - after a bit of persuading - I managed to get Kelly and my Mam to agree to let me go in to town today to meet my Nan. I mean, if I had a problem I had my phone, so why shouldn't I give it a go, right? And that's what I did today.

I was waiting at the main bus stop in town for my Nan when she got there (my Nan and my parents are a bit too far from town to be walking in) and we had a lovely morning in town together.

We went to the market and got some fresh veg for Sunday (Kelly and I are having cauliflower and carrots) and went round a few other shops. I also brought my Nan a bacon sandwich and a drink (she had milk and water, I had tea) in a little cafe we like. Then I walked home by myself.

Actually, Nan came part of the way with me, because I wanted to drop a letter off at my doctor from the gynaecologist and wasn't entirely sure how helpful the receptionist would be to me. It turned out she was fantastic and even made sure I'd saved their number in my phone before leaving (as well as giving my Nan a written copy "just in case"). But the doctor isn't quite half way between town and our new place, so I walked just over half way home by myself, leaving Nan to get the bus back home.

The plan is to do this on a Friday every two weeks, because it gives me a nice trip out, and Nan can then help me pick out some nice veg for our dinner on the weekends we aren't having dinner with my parents.

The weather wasn't too bad for being out in, but it did keep picking with rain on and off. It wasn't too much rain though, and it wasn't really cold, so we didn't really notice it. Apparently the weather's meant to be quite cold and wet over the weekend though. They are saying there's "a chance of snow" even. I wont hold my breath though... *sigh*

Anyway, I'm going to go check for new posts on other blogs now, since I haven't had a chance to do that yet.

Enjoy whatever's left of your day. :)

Tori

9 comments:

Kati said...

Yeah!!! You SHOULD feel proud of yourself!!! Congrats on the successful maneuvering into town on your own. I'm glad that you seem to think this is something you're comfortable doing on a weekly basis and aren't letting fear stop you from doing so. Hell.... I'm proud of you, Tori! Glad that you had a great Friday!

Tori_z said...

Thanks Kati, :)

LadyStyx said...

I am so very proud of you!!! I havent even been out and about on my own here yet and I have my sight. *HUGZ* Good job Tori!

Tori_z said...

Thanks LadyStyx

Karen said...

There's no one who could be prouder than your mam Tori. Well done honey for getting over the hurdles as you come to them and showing us you can do it with out us. I'm glad you wanted to do show us you don't need us up your backside 24/7! You are doing so well!

Tori_z said...

LOL! Thanks Mam, :)

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

i am so proud of you tori for walking into town all " by yourself " but then being your other " grandma " i would be proud of you as its a big achievement for you, :)x

you really must have enjoyed yourself with nanny p helping you choose your veg for sunday.

Tori_z said...

Grandma:
Thanks :)

Yes, I did enjoy myself, and Nan said she did too, so that's good.

Intense Guy said...

Tori - I'm awed! Your efforts to deal with the hurdles life deals you are an inspiration to many. I hope you have many enjoyable trips into town - and keep on taking pictures too - the picture of Kero in the snow was excellent, I can't get over you taking that picture without seeing through the viewfinder.