Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The award for the stupidest question goes to... (AE&D)

I've been asked several stupid questions over the years, but the stupidest one I've ever heard - from a doctor, I mean - was one I was asked during my last visit to the hospital.

I think the easiest way to tell you about it is to type up the conversation I had with the doctor in question.

Note: I'm not refering to the bit about "Congenital"... I've been asked that stupid question so many times I hardly notice it any more, and my response is automatic.

Doctor: It's your right eye we're dealing with, correct?
Me: Yes
Doctor: And you've previously had your left eye out... Is that right?
Me: Yes... About eight years ago now.
Doctor: So the eye in it is artificial?
Me: Yes, it is
Doctor: Why was it you had your eyes out?
Me: Congenital Glaucoma
Doctor: Oh? And, how long have you had that?
Me: Well, since the word "Congenital" is in it, I'd rather say it was from birth. What do you think?
Doctor: Yes... Of course...

(Slight pause while the doctor scribbles stuff in my medical notes)

Doctor: So... Can you see anything at all?

When I could stop laughing long enough I replied that, "Unless a microchip was put in the implants or artificial eye, which nobody taught me to work, I don't think that's possible... Do you?"

At least she had the decency to be embarrassed... LMAO!

Tori

11 comments:

AliceKay said...

Oh my word! LOL

Intense Guy said...

I guess the power of habit ingrained in years of medical training makes them that way... they follow a process, rather blindly (I hope you will forgive me for the choice of word).

Make you wonder how much better the medical profession would be if they just looked at their patients instead of their clipboards.

Jess said...

She probably wasn't expecting such a savvy patient. Maybe it was just a slip of the tongue.

merc3069 said...

Really funny! I like the rating system, too;-)

LadyStyx said...

Sounds like a Jeff Foxworthy , "Here's your sign", type of joke. If they'd simply read the chart and actually LOOK at their patients FIRST before opening their eyes, they wouldnt face embarrassing situations like this...

KAYLEE said...

I hope that ummm, that doctor isnt like that all the time. Hey, tori I have a question for you. Is there anywahy you can email me at kaygirlyyyy@yahoo.com? or do you not use email? Cause I would love to tell you how i am doing but, I dont want to share it here YET!

Celticspirit said...

Some people may be very intelligent but they lack one thing....common sense! That seems to fit your doctor huh?

Now I have a stupid question. Not being able to see how do you write your blog and read other blogs? Does someone read them to you or do you have some type of a device that reads them for you? I'm really clueless.

ChicagoLady said...

This reminds me of an email that was circulating a couple years ago, with stupid questions lawyers asked to witnesses in court. Questions that make you say DUH!

Tori_z said...

AK:
My thoughts exactly. LOL!

Iggy:
I think you could be right there. And it wouldn't hurt for them to take a quick scan through a patient's medical notes before seeing them rather than stopping for a cuppa or a chat with a colegue.

Jess:
I think she was just going through a routine questionaire and did't think before asking that oe question about the fact she already had the answer in the other questions.

Merc:
Thank for coming and visiting my blog. Glad you enjoyed the post. :)

Styxie:
Couldn't have put it better myself! LOL!

Kaylee:
I think most doctors get like that from time to time. I don't think she's like it all the time... At least, I hope not. ;)

Will e-mail yu later, OK?

Barb:
Yep, that seems about right. ;)

As for your question...

I havea speech Programme. Not sure if you've seen me mention "Jaws" not wanting to work with this that or the other? Well, Jaws is my speech programme (it stands for "Java Application With Speach" or something like that). Pictures are difficult though. Jaws gives me a random code with either the name of the picture somewhere in it, or - if someone does what Iggy does - then the description for it.

Does that answer your question?

Chicago:
I think I saw that e-mail... LOL!

Tori_z said...

Sorry about typos. :(

Tori_z said...

Kaylee:
I tried to e-mail you and it came back saying it couldn't be sent. I don't know if it's me not typing the address right or just the server being a twat. Anyway, e-mail me at jotter16@hotmail.com... Maybe it'll work that way?