Sunday, October 05, 2008

Random thoughts and musings (LBE)

I was trying to figure out that blog following thing. I had no trouble putting a widget for it on my sidebar, and no trouble clicking on the link on other people's blogs to follow their blogs. But I can't seem to figure out how to add blogs to my list of blogs I follow without that link. Actually, that's not strictly true. I've found the link for it, but I can't make it work! I've tried all the usual ways Jaws works links, but it wont work. *Sigh* Oh, well, it doesn't really matter. I just thought I'd mention it because I didn't want anyone who noticed I was only following certain blogs to think it was anything personal. It's not! I just can't seem to add blogs to the list without that link that's in the sidebar widget thingy.

~~~~~~

It's cold today. At least the rain's stopped for a bit though. This is the closest to a sunny day we've had since I was well enough from my op to want to go outside. Funnily enough, when I was in hospital - and the weekend afterwards when I wouldn't have had the energy to go out if you paid me to go - it was beautiful and sunny. I swear it did that last time too! Maybe I have to be in hospital for the rest of the country to enjoy some sunshine? Hmmm... Well, if that's the case then forget it! I'm not going back in just so everyone else gets some sunshine! You can all just put up with the rain! LOL!

~~~~~~

There's an oak tree almost half way along where I walk Kero. I never realised before, but I took Kero out for a walk this afternoon and stepped on something hard. So, I wanted to know what it was and bent down to investigate. Turned out it was an acorn. There were lots of them on the ground under a really big tree that appeared to have shed them. I picked up a couple and brought them home to have Kelly confirm my suspicions. He said I was right. I like being right. :)

Wonder where the squirrels are and why they aren't around collecting the nuts. Maybe the tree is too close to where people are for their liking? I mean, a lot of people use that path, and there are houses the opposite side of it to the tree. Or maybe the squirrels - like most of us humans - didn't want to go out in the rain we've been having? *Shrugs*

Kero likes acorns. He wanted to see what I was showing Kelly. I think he ate them. Is that normal for dogs? I know he eats other nuts (well, some kinds) so I'm not really worried.

~~~~~~

Have you ever noticed how warm and inviting a home feels with incense sticks or cones burning in it? Especially when you come in from a walk on a chilly Autumn afternoon. Usually I'm already in the house when the incense is put on, so - although I notice it - I don't notice how inviting it makes the home feel. But today they'd not long gone on when I went out, so I came home to them nicely burning away. And it smelled really nice. Almost as inviting as when you come home on a cold Winter's evening and smell something delicious cooking.

(Don't worry, I didn't leave them burning in an empty flat... Kelly was home and able to keep an eye on them).

~~~~~~

Why is it that every time you get all the dishes up to date someone wants a cuppa? Or, you just get the washing caught up and someone has a bath and/or changes their clothes! Is it a law or something?

~~~~~~

I was just thinking...

*Waits for the groans and whispers of, "Uh-Oh!" to die out*

People often say, "A penny for your thoughts," but nobody ever pays up. I mean, plenty of times people have said that to me, and I'm still waiting for my pennies! Then there's the people who say they're putting their two cents worth in... They don't pay up either! We need a thought jar. You know? Like some people have a swear jar, except you put pennies in it either if you said, "a penny for your thoughts," or if you said you were putting your two cents in.

~~~~~~

If everyone's body temperature is the same, why do some people feel the cold more than others? I mean, you'd think if one person's body temperature was dropping then another person's would too, right? I understand the way it works if one person has more body fat than the other, but what about people who are the same build?

~~~~~~

OK, I think that's enough of my nonsense for one evening. Before I publish this though, I'd just like to say, "happy birthday," to AliceKay, since - if I'm not very much mistaken - today is her birthday. :)

Enjoy whatever's left of your day. Stay safe, get well soon, and all those other things that people say to you that you intend - or don't intend, as the case may be - to do anyway, but they just "have to" be said. ;)

Tori

7 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Not sure about the squirrels....there's one that lives around here that's looking awful lean for the time of year. You'd think they'd be all nice and fat by now.

Hmm. Havent burned incense in a long time. I should consider getting some, in particular for the bathrooms....

Yeah, I think that is a law in regards to the dishes and laundry. It happens here all the time. My favorite is the fact that Y-Chromosome laden humans dont have the capability to put clean dishes away from the dishwasher and start loading a new load or dirties...or worse yet if a new load of dirties is in the dishwasher already...they cant be bothered to put the newly dirtied dishes in to add to the load...they just stuff them in the sink. *shakes head*

ChicagoLady said...

It always seems that when you can't be outside for some reason, the weather is beautiful. Then when you can be outside, the weather is terrible.

We don't have any acorn trees near where I live (at least that I know of), however there was one in my neighborhood when I was a kid. I loved going to it in Autumn and looking for acorns that had not lost their "cap."

I love burning incense and candles. I choose my incense carefully, because I don't want to the scent to be too strong, so candles are what I burn more frequently.

At least when I do the dishes, I'm the only one to blame if I want something and have to dirty another dish, lol.

I'll put my two cents in and agree with your question of where the money is.

I have some extra insulation, yet I'm almost always one of the first people to be cold. My family tells me I need more blood. I would love to understand why I get cold so quickly when everyone else is fine.

Intense Guy said...

We have lots of acorns here - the squirrels are busy eating what they can too - they seem to prefer hickory nuts for eating now over acorns - but take the acorns to bury.

I know why a room at 70F feels warm in the summer and cool in the winter - but not why individuals feel cold differently - would suppose its more of a metabolism rate thing than weight.

Intense Guy said...

Mmm... what bothers me is that wehn someone is offered a penny for their thoughts, and they give you their two cents - do you have to give them change?

Jess said...

I love it when I come back from a freezing walk and strip off my countless layers and am all warm and damp and snug. I don't think you even need incense sticks - although I've always been curious about those.
Good luck with all the following - we just type in the website url and press enter and hope for the best, but it's obviously different the way you do it.

AliceKay said...

I've been sitting here reading your thoughts and giggling to myself. LOL. You have a really good outlook on life and a great sense of humor. And by the way...I get cold easily but everyone tells me I have a warm heart. What's up with that? LOL

Thank you very much for the birthday wishes. You were right...today is my birthday. Thank you, Tori. *hugs*

Tori_z said...

Styxie:
Yeah, the squirrels should all be fat by now. Strange.

Yeah, it's really annoying when the "y-chromazone laden" humanoids do things like that. Unfortunately that's something we've got to put up with if we want to live with them. LOL!

Chicago:
*Nods in agreement about the weather comment*

Majority of the acorns I found hadn't lost their caps. At least majority of the ones my hands found. I know there were LOADS more acorns that I never took the time to investigate.

I used to burn candles mostly, but the incense cones and sticks are safer for me to use now. The one time I did try candles since I lost my sight it almost cost me my DAB digital radio (not to mention if I hadn't heard a noise and asked Kelly to investigate it could have cost a lot more). So I gave my Dad my scented candles and decided to stick to the cones and sticks. They're less likely to cause problems.

Well, it's not so bad if you've made the stuff dirty, is it?

*Holds up the jar for Chicago's 2 cents*
Exactly! (on the being cold thing)

Iggy:
I wouldn't know a hickery nut if I saw one. Interesting about the squirrel's nut habbits though. :)

Interesting...

No... You all put it in the jar and use it towards the rent or another joint bill at the end of the month. LOL!

Jess:
The trick is to put on an incense stick or cone (or scented candle) with a scent you love. Like... I love the smell of lavender, so I've always got lavender scented vcones or sticks and often put them on in the evening.

The problem I'm having is making Jaws (my speech programme) let me go in the box where you type the url in. If I can get it to do that then I'll be fine. But I can't. :(

AK:
Glad you enjoyed the post so much. And, thanks. :)

I don't know what's up with that. I'd have thought someone with as warm a heart as you would be nice and warm frm the warmth radiating from it. :) It's probably to do with what Iggy said about the metabolism thing.

Thought I was right. :) Hope you had a great birthday. :)