Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Folly Farm: Part 2 - Feathered friends

The second part of our trip involves our feathered friends. Birds, birds, and more birds!



Some of you will probably recognise the bird in the above photo, since it's the exact same type as the bulk of the birds we get in our garden... In other words, it's a House Sparrow.



I'm not too sure what that one is. There were several types of birds, most of them next to impossible to get shots of due to how dark the places they were roosting in were, and - in the case of the Barn Owl - the fact they were nocturnal. I know there were Eagle Owls, Lovebirds, Budgies, a Barn Owl, a Parrot, some chickens, and several others I don't remember. The photo above will either be one of the types I can't remember, or either the Eagle Owls or Lovebirds. I'm not sure.



I'm sure everyone knows what those are. *Points to above photo*



And this parrot was an African Grey.

Awww... Look at the little chicks!



This next one made me think of MarmiteTosty and her chickens.



Like I said, there were others, but they were up on the highest perches in the avery, so it was really dark where they were, and it made getting photos extremely difficult. Before anyone asks how I know that... Mam told me. Also, a lot of the animals seemed to be ready for naps, and we didn't really want a load of animal butt photos, so we both agreed not to try for those ones. LOL!

Part three will be posted tomorrow. :)

Tori

9 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Me thinks you would love 'Birdworld' which is sorta near our neck of the woods......

My Janet is poorly at the moment.... but fanks for thinking of me when you are near a chicken lmfao

x

Jessica♥ said...

my favorite bird is a dove, or a swan, or a woodpecker. =]

Deanna said...

I can just hear all the little birdies chirping away.

Celticspirit said...

Looks like you had a good time there Tori. I love going to places like that or anyplace else where I can see nature. :) My favorite birds are the hawks. I don't like seeing them at the zoos however because I think they should be free. They are awesome birds.

Intense Guy said...

I think the white bird with the black head is a wood stork. Or at least a stork of some type.

I like birds of all types, even the ugly Turkey Vultures.

Tori_z said...

Toasty:
Awww! I hope Janet gets better soon. :(

I always think of you when I'm near chickens. Were your ears burning Thursday? Because I said at the time we had to get a photo of any chickens or roosters we saw for you. *Grins*

Jessica:
While I still had sight I could draw a swan. Swans are lovely birds.

Deanna:
Some of them were quite noisy, others hardly made a sound. It was kinda cool being surrounded by all those different chirps and twitters though. :)

Barb:
I love going to places like that too. And, the animals aren't always better off in the wild with how quickly humans are destroying their habitats. Besides, most of these animals you'd never get near enough to see if they were in the wild.

Iggy:
Thanks (about which bird you think it is). :)


I like birds too... My favourite varies depending on my mood, though it's usually a Robin... I like Robins! But I can't say there's one I don't like. I mean, they're all birds, and they each have points that make them interesting, beautiful, etc. Perhaps only when in flight - like the Turkey Buzzards - but still.

AliceKay said...

You have some pretty good pics here. I took pics of some birds at the Abilene Zoo but most didn't come out too well.

*hears chirping too*

LadyStyx said...

I quick did a Google search and I think iggy's right. The closest I see to that bird (without getting a proper look at it's bill) is a Wood Stork.

Tori_z said...

AK:
Glad you enjoyed the pics.

Styxie:
Thanks. :)