Monday, February 15, 2010

A child's treasure box

A child can find magic in the simplest of things, and something small and - to an adult - not worth even taking a second look at, can seem like a glorious treasure to a child.

I was reminded of this fact a few days ago while helping my Mam to clear out some old stuff. We found all sorts of things while clearing, but the one that inspired this post was a small box.


There seemed to be nothing special about the box. It was just a small, plastic, dust covered box.

Or, was it?

It was, in fact, a child's treasure box.

My childhood treasure box.

A couple of the contents I see why they were "treasures" to me. But some of them had me wondering... Why? Why would anyone want to keep some of these things? How are they treasures?

I returned every item to the box, and I handed the box back to Mam. I figured that she had kept it all this time, so she might as well continue to do so.


Ever since then I've been trying to figure out why I would have kept some of the items in the box. Why were they special? What made them worth putting in my "treasure box" to keep them safe?

The only answer I can come up with is...

I'm sure I had my reasons. Something about them must have seemed important or special to my young mind.

Perhaps they were trophies from some great adventure I had while exploring the world around me?

Perhaps they were given to me by someone who meant something to me?

Or, perhaps I just thought they looked nice?

Those treasures will - for now, at least - remain in that box. But the mystery of why they were first put in there may never be solved. The answer may be locked somewhere in my mind, but the key to unlocking it has probably been lost many years ago as I've grown up.

Tori

6 comments:

The Wife O Riley said...

My kids do that too. They take very ordinary things and keep them as treasures. Maybe, I'll put a post-it note on each telling when and why they went in there. It would probably be helpful in the future.

AliceKay said...

I hope that one day you remember why you kept some of those "treasures". The brain is a very complex part of the body, and you handling those objects may have triggered some long lost memory you had of them.

Toriz said...

Wifey:
That's a good idea. :)

AK:
It's possible. We'll see though. :)

Deanna said...

The wondering never ends, Tori. Just the other day I happened to open my cedar chest and couldn't help wonder why in the world I had considered some of the items so valuable that I stored them away. Like you, I'll probably never know.

Toriz said...

Deanna:
Wouldn't it be interesting if we could find out?

Intense Guy said...

Funny this should just happen to you - I was looking for something to take on my boat ride when I came across a big cardboard box that I hadn't opened since I moved into my house (15+ years) and found all sorts of stuff I squirreled away in high school - my mom made me pack things up before leaving for college 30+ years ago...

I looked at the stuff quickly, pressed for time packing, and thought, sheesh, what junk (or junque if you want to be classy).

I ought to sort through it and see whats in it now that I've some time.