Wednesday, February 03, 2010

My sick note

Sorry I've not been on the blogs properly lately. I've tried to keep posts set up, and I've tried to keep up with commenting and such, but it's been difficult. Why? Because I haven't been well. To cut a long story short, I've been anemic for several years, but I did have it under control - even without pills - only something seems to have changed that. Not sure what, though - hopefully - all the tests I had done will shed some light on it. Anyway, I had been a bit worried about my iron level since before Christmas, but wasn't all that worried. I mean, I figured it was down a bit, but never thought for a moment it was as low as it is. But it was discovered on Monday - when I went to see the doctor for something else - that my iron level had dropped way below the normal range. The normal range is 12+, mine is currently at 7. If it was any lower I'd be in hospital right about now. In fact, it's only that I'm young enough for my body to - in theory - work with the pills that I'm still home as it is. I'm on a high dose of iron tablets, and seeing the doctor Monday morning to see if that's enough or if she thinks I do need to go in to hospital after all. I'm hoping not, since I'd much rather be taking loads of pills at home than end up in hospital having a blood transfusion. But if I disappear completely then that'll be why.


In the meantime I'm not feeling too great - actually, I haven't been feeling too great for a while now - and I'm extremely tired. I suppose the good thing here is... At least I'm getting plenty of sleep, for a change. It's actually staying awake that's the problem lately. But that will go back to normal - well, normal for me - when my iron level is brought back up.

Tori

9 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Get well really soon, Tori!!

I hope the pills are working already.

*hugs, hugs, and another hug*

Celticspirit said...

Hope you feel better Tori and don't have to go to the hospital. I knew you were trying not to eat meat but maybe you need it for the iron. Eat some nice yummy liver. Ok kidding on that one! I've had low iron but it all has to do with my monthly cycle.

AliceKay said...

I hope the pills get into your system soon and you can get back to feeling like yourself. Get well soon, Tori. *hugs*

G said...

Good luck and get well soon. I usually go through something similar with diabetes, so I can understand about being out of sorts.

Deanna said...

Keep taking those pills and hopefully they will do the job. We don't want you back in the hospital either. I'm glad you are doing what you can to take care of yourself.

Huge hugs! Please get to feeling better.

Toriz said...

Thanks all. :)

Toriz said...

Barb:
I've admitted defeat on the meat thing, but there's no way I'm eating liver! *Pulls a disgusted face*

MarmiteToasty said...

((((((((((ToriZ)))))))))) oh dear.... brocolli and liver thats what you need my girl LOL...

I understand the tired, Im totally exhausted but then cant sleep at night lol...

get well soon girl, sorry I aint been around.....'just stuff' going on thats all..... dont mean I love you any less..

x

Toriz said...

Toasty:
I'll do the broccoli, and I do eat that regularly. But I refuse to eat liver!

That's OK... About you not being around, I mean... I know you've got a lot going on. *Hugs*