Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Iron update

The blood test I had done last Monday (February 8th) showed that my iron level was indeed rising again. It was 8.6. That's not great, but it's an improvement from the 7 it was the week before. We need to get it up around 12 for it to be considered to be in the "normal" range. I already have the blood forms to go and have it checked again some time next week.

I'm still having iron tablets three times a day though, making a total of 600mgs of iron being pumped in to my body via tablets. Plus what's in food items I'm eating. I'd be surprised if I come off these tablets any time soon, and even when they do stop I'll probably end up being checked very regularly to see how my iron level is doing. The good thing is though that the dizzyness has gone now, I'm not getting so tired so quickly, and - though it's not completely gone - my headache is a lot better, so all good! Well, at the moment anyway. But with my medical history I'll take what I can get, when I can get it!

Anyway, I had been told drinking a lot of tea can cause problems with keeping the iron level up, but I kept forgetting to ask the doctor how true that was. I had decreased the amount of tea I was drinking "just in case" though. It's not that I didn't believe it - because I did - it's just that I wanted it verified by the doctor, because some people I know tend to be more willing to listen if the information comes from more than one source. So, I asked the doctor about it in order to have another person give their opinion on the matter. And she said it was true. Tea in small amounts isn't an issue, but drinking a lot of it - which I do - is. So I shouldn't have more than 4 cups of tea a day, and less would be even better. Bearing in mind I was having a minimum of 6 cups a day before. :(

Tori

7 comments:

AliceKay said...

I'm happy to hear your iron level is rising. And it's good you found out for sure if the tea was going against you in the iron department. I hope things continue to improve for you. *hugs*

Celticspirit said...

Glad to hear your iron level is increasing. What is it about the tea that affects the iron? Is it the caffeine? I drink tea bit it is usually either green tea, red tea or herbal. The ones I get don't have caffeine.

The Wife O Riley said...

I'm glad that the pills are somewhat working for you and you're on the mend. I know how hard it is to give up something you love. Just hang in there.

Deanna said...

Great news on the iron levels. Keep up the good job! That is good to know about tea. It doesn't surprise me. Caffeine is just not good for us :(

G said...

Very good news indeed....glad to hear that you're back on the road to good health.

Toriz said...

Thanks all! :)

Barb:
Yes, it's the caffene in tea that causes the problem. The same would hold true for coffee too, but I can't stand the stuff, so it's not an issue to me when it comes to coffee.

Intense Guy said...

I'm glad you're feeling better! Seems like you have a bit of a ways to go to get to a 12 or so - I hope those pills don't taste bad - or sit heavy in the tummy.

Hugs