Sunday, September 25, 2011

Keeping my promise AKA the new place

OK, well, I have a load of things I want to post, but I promised that when I knew for sure the place was ours I would do a post to tell you a bit about our new home. And - this is just for the benifit of anyone who doesn't know - I don't make promises if I don't intend keeping them. I'm sure you know where I'm going with this... Especially with this post's title... Yes, that's right! This post is to keep my promise, and tell you a bit about where we're moving to. And the reason it waited until today is because I didn't get to it Friday, and I wanted to do the posts I did yesterday first. But, here it is... The post I promised to do. So...

First of all, as some of you - but not all of you - know, we're moving to Hastings area. We're not moving to Hastings itself, but to an area very close to it. I don't want to give exact information on where near Hastings we're moving on here, but I will tell you that those of you who have my current address will soon be given the new address.

Anyway...

I haven't personally been to the property. Kelly went, but Kero and I didn't go with him, because it was easier for just him to go (not to mention cheaper). So what I'm going to tell you is what he's told me. I'm going to do my best here though. But I'm sorry if some of it is vague, and please don't ask for more information, because until I'm there I wont be able to give it.

It's a basement flat (apartment to those of you not in the UK). Our bedroom has a window that looks out on the garden belonging to the house that's above us, but around the front there's a little patio area which is ours. It's not all that big, but it's big enough for Kero and I to be able to sit out there when it's nice. There are steps leading from it up to the street, and they are fenced off (it's a sort of walled off area, but with railings when you get to street level, and a gate at the top of the steps) so the area is secure enough that Kero can be loose out there (which I'm sure he's going to be extremely happy about).

Kelly says it's not a very big place - though, judging by what he's told me, it doesn't sound much smaller than what we have right now... Just a smaller kitchen and second bedroom than we have now, and the bathroom is all the same room (which it isn't here) - but he says it's fantastic for the rent, which is quite low (especially for the area). It has one bathroom, which has a bath (no shower, but I don't care... I prefer baths anyway). A small-ish kitchen, which isn't big enough for a table and chairs to be in, but there's an area off the hallway where Kelly says we can put a small table and a couple of chairs if we want to. There's a double bedroom (our room) that's about the size of the bedroom we have here. A living room that's roughly the same size as the one we have now. And another smaller bedroom, which I've agreed we'll use as a study for now, but which can be used as a bedroom should we find ourselves in need of a second bedroom in the future (meaning, if we finally get some luck with getting the baby we want). I'm only agreeing to use it as a study for now because then I can hear the TV easier when Kelly's playing the games he likes to play on his PC. LOL! I figure we'll have Kelly's PC in there for now, and find a spot in the living room for his computer if we need to use that bedroom in the future (which I hope we will).

The kitchen is fully fitted, which means it actually comes with a cooker, so we had to sell the new cooker we got last year. I was a bit sad to see it go, but we helped to give a cheaper - though as new - cooker to a couple who are just starting out in their own home with a new baby, so something good came out of it.

We'll be going from being a good 15 minutes walk from the nearest shop (and a good 20 to 25 minutes walk from town) to being a 5 minute walk from the main shops in the area, and about a 10 minute walk from the train station (where we can easily get a train to just about anywhere... Hastings, Brighton, London... Wherever we want to go). Bearing in mind that the nearest train station to where we're living at the moment is about 20 to 30 minutes away by car - if the traffic is reasonable - and walking to it is only an option if you're desperate, training for a marathon, or mental!

Well... To be totally honest, without telling you the exact location of the property - which I don't want to do on my blog, because my blog is public, and I don't want the entire world knowing my exact location... Only the people I choose to e-mail my address to - I can't tell you any more than that.

When we're moved in I'll see what I can do about some photos for you though! :)

8 comments:

AliceKay said...

It sounds like a nice little place, close to things you need, and that will be more convenient for you. I'm sure there will be pics once you move in and get settled. :)

Good luck with the move. I hope it goes smoothly. *hugs*

Intense Guy said...

Looking at the map, it appears you will be near the beach! :)

And it sounds like you will be able to be out in the shops and learning how to get around the new place(s) that are now much more accessible to you - its going to keep your world bold and big.

Am very happy for you - Hugs!

Celticspirit said...

Sounds very nice Tori! Do you think it will be harder for you to get around when you go for walks since you are closer to town? Will there be more traffic? I'll be happy to see pictures in the future. :)

Toriz said...

AK:
Thanks! *Hugs*

Yes, it will be more convenient. And, yes, there will be pics... If not right away, soon after we move! :)

Iggy:
Thanks! *Hugs*

And, yes (on both things)! :)

Barb:
Yes, there will be more traffic, but I don't think it will make too much difference to getting around. It might at first, but a move to anywhere would do that with me. It will be fine when I get used to it though. My brother managed it fine when he lived in the area (he's been blind since the age of 2), so - when I get used to it - I don't see why I wont be able to do it just fine too. :)

Deanna said...

Tori, this is wonderful news! It sounds like a place that Kero is definitely going to appreciate. And I cannot imagine how great it is going to be to walk to where you want to go and get to mass transit easily. Way to go! Congratulations. Can't wait to see pictures once you are settled in.

Deanna

Rita said...

It does sound almost the same size as you have now, but has a second room and is in a much more convenient location for getting around. Can hardly wait to see pictures and hear more about it after you have moved. :) :)

Toriz said...

Rita:
We have a second room here (which is a bit bigger than the one at the new place),but it's mostly ended up used as a storage room. We originally had it as a guest room, but when we gave the bed to someone who needed one it became a storage room, and stayed that way.

Toriz said...

Deanna:
Thanks! :)