Friday, June 08, 2012

Poughkeepsie

PoughkeepsiePoughkeepsie by Debra Anastasia

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


The characters were well developed, and the plot was pretty good in general. However, the constant head-hopping made it difficult for me to connect with any given character so as to really get in to the book, and the excessive use of curse words spoiled the story for me.



Note: I'm not a prude by any stretch of the imagination, and have enjoyed books with curse words used frequently throughout. However, I felt in this case it was just too much; it felt like there were more curse words than other words in the book, and I felt they were sometimes used in inappropriate places. Even a tough guy like Blake's foster brother would only pepper his speach with curse words rather than - as it seemed when reading this - peppering his curse words with speach.

6 comments:

Furry Bottoms said...

Good review. I understand about the cussing getting out of hand in some books. That is a major turn off for me. The same goes for movies.

Edward Norton used to be one of my favorite actors. But the last few films he has made... every other word was F this or F that. It ruined his whole image for me. I don't mind cussing, truly, but peppered so much like that makes you sneeze.

Rita said...

I'd pass on this one from the sounds of it. No thanks.

Toriz said...

Nikki:
Exactly! And, yeah, it's the same with me for movies.

Rita:
Yeah, probably not your cup of tea either!

AliceKay said...

I think I'd pass on it, too.

But you know what? It's not just in books. It's in movies, TV shows, music, everywhere. Cursing seems to be more acceptable than it used to be. In my opinion, some really great songs have been ruined by the use of the cursing and profanity. Tis a shame. :(

That corgi :) said...

It makes you wonder why the author felt the need to use so many cuss words, especially as it seems like the use of them distracted from the story. I have to go with the majority of the comments here and pass on the book; thanks for letting us know your thoughts about it Tori!

betty

Toriz said...

AK:
I agree; it's everywhere, and it ruins things. There's no need for it... Especially in the quantity used!

Betty:
It did; I think I could have enjoyed the story if it wasn't for the constant stream of curse words. That's why I gave it a 3; it had potential, and may even have gotten a 5 from me if the cursing was removed (or at least dialed down several notches).