Wednesday, June 06, 2012

The Queen's Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant

"A flotilla of more than 1,000 boats marked the Queen's 60 years on the throne."

"The Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant made its way 10 miles along the river from Battersea to Tower Bridge, where an “Avenue of Sail” – made up 98 vessels too large to join the pageant itself – was waiting.

Figures from the organisers showed that the total number of craft expected to be on the water for the historic occasion – including safety boats and those moored along the route – is 1,066.

Such was the fleet’s size, it took 75 minutes to pass."

~Above from http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/the_queens_diamond_jubilee/9302247/The-Queens-Thames-Diamond-Jubilee-Pageant-in-all-its-glory.html where you can view a video and read more Diamond Jubilee news.

6 comments:

Rita said...

I hadn't seen any videos so that was cool! Quite a display!! I heard it was raining, but it didn't look like it was raining very hard if it was. Quite the festival. :)

AliceKay said...

I was watching some of it on the news. How exciting. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate for the flotilla.

I watched the Concert for the Queen on TV last night. Prince Charles' speech at the end was very moving. And the fireworks were spectacular. :)

That corgi :) said...

I loved the variety of the boats there! What a gala that must have been to see in person! I also wondered where the corgis were and their part in the celebration :)

betty

Toriz said...

Yes, it was raining. But rain doesn't stop us Brits from celebrating! ;)

Anyway, glad you all enjoyed this post!

Jeanie said...

I missed the flotilla but I loved watching all the Jubilee festivities I could find. No one does it better than the Brits!

Toriz said...

Jeanie:
Glad you enjoyed! :)