Monday, October 19, 2009

Blogs and blindfolds

Firstly, I spent most of this morning reading posts I hadn't had a chance to read before. I commented on most, but some I didn't know what to say. So, if I didn't leave a comment on any of your recent posts... It's nothing personal. I'm sure there will be one I can find a comment for soon. :)

Secondly, a couple of you asked about the blindfold thing. So, I'm going to post about that today.

What "should have been" done was:

The person in question is blindfolded, then asked to perform tasks, or get around obstacles, while wearing said blindfold. Also, the blindfolded person is led around to show them what it's like being led around, and how it feels finding themselves surrounded by all kinds of people, sounds and smells, and how difficult it is to figure out what they are, where they are, and whether or not they affect them. The idea being that the person will get an idea of how it feels to not have any sight. Not to mention how frustrating it is trying to do these things at what most people would consider to be a decent pace, while avoiding damaging the things they're using, or themselves. They should also be given a demonstration of how scary it can be when you're outside, unsure of where exactly you are, and suddenly find that the person who was with you is no longer beside you.


That's what was "meant to" happen. That's what we discussed doing with them. But what happened was:


They were blindfolded, they walked about 5 minutes down the street (bearing in mind we're in a quiet area away from busy roads, and it was a weekday afternoon, so most people were at work or school anyway). They were then told to wait there a moment while the mobility officer went across the road, turned around, came right back, then brought them home. Removing the blindfold as soon as they were safely indoors. Failing to teach them half of what I'd hoped they would learn, since they weren't put in most of the situations I find myself in almost every day.


Even my Mam and Dad said she should have done more. She should have at least taken them to somewhere they didn't know so well. Or even taken them and walked them along the main road a bit. She should have also had them attempt an every day task. Like making a cup of tea or something.

Do you know how hard it is to make a cup of tea when you can't see? It took me about six months to make a cup of tea without missing the cup with the kettle, spilling the milk, etc.

Anyway, I hope that's enough information to satisfy your curiosity. ;)


Enjoy whatever's left of your day! :)

Tori

7 comments:

Deanna said...

Tori, you are amazing. I cannot imagine making my way in the world without site, like you do. And you're right, she should have done more if the goal was to have them get a sense of what is is like to be blind. Thanks for the explanation.

Wendyburd1 said...

That was poorly done! They get no understanding of it at all!

AliceKay said...

*agrees with Deanna*

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Tori, you are amazing. You do so much for someone who has lost her sight. I'm amazed at what you accomplish on a day to day basis. I wish the mobility officer had done what she was supposed to do for you and your parents. It sounds like someone slacked off a bit there.

Tori_z said...

Thanks all!

Intense Guy said...

Well, you don't really need the mobility officer to do some more "awareness" training - just a blindfold - and some demonstration runs with making coffee, cooking, and even bird picture taking (that ought to get you a whole bunch of respect!).

LadyStyx said...

Amen there iggy.

Tori_z said...

Very true, Iggy! :)