Monday, October 26, 2009

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

By Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

"January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she’s never met, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name written inside a book by Charles Lamb….

As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of this man and his friends --- and what a wonderfully eccentric world it is. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society --- born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island --- boasts a charming, funny, deeply human cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all.

Juliet begins a remarkable correspondence with the society’s members, learning about their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds will change her forever.

Written with warmth and humor as a series of letters, this novel is a celebration of the written word in all its guises, and of finding connection in the most surprising ways."

(Above text taken from this site).


I had hoped to read this at the same time as those who were participating in Dorkys' virtual book club thing. However, it took me over a month to get hold of a copy, so they'd all long since finished the book. I have now read the book though, and can honestly say I found it an enjoyable book. It was written well enough that I found myself becoming as interested in the characters as I might have been if I were the one recieving these letters, and getting to know new friends.

Click here to read what Dorkys and some of her readers thought of the book (warning: Dorkys and her readers do give away parts of the plot, so if you don't like spoiler posts, then you should read the book before reading the posts and comments on Dorkys' blog).

Tori

8 comments:

Celticspirit said...

Sounds like a great book. I've been reading some Nora Roberts books, they are pretty good.

Intense Guy said...

I am glad you enjoyed it! :) Dorkys picked a great book for us to read.

I'm reading the new Winnie the Pooh book now.

Lynn said...

I was working in a book store when that book came out and it was pretty popular, I myself have not read it.

AliceKay said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the book. :)

Tori_z said...

Barb:
You'll have to tell us about them when you're done.


Iggy:
Yes, she did.


New Winnie The Pooh book?

I'm listening to the audiobooks you sent me. :)

Lynn:
How come you never read it?


AK:
So am I... I went to enough trouble to get hold of a copy. ;)

Lynn said...

Shrugs at you Tori, I guess I never was really interested in reading it, I have so many books to read now, I will be lucky if I live long enough to read them all LOL.

Dorkys Ramos said...

Oh I'm so happy you liked it! Sounds like we all enjoyed it. Was it the audio book version that finally came in? I always wonder if the voices chosen for those are close to the ones I heard in my head when I read it.

Tori_z said...

Lynn:
Fair enough.

Dorkys:
Yep, the audio version. They don't have it in braille. And, anyway, braille books can get quite expensive. There is the National Library for the Blind, but since many books aren't published in braille I always try and get an audio copy first.