Sunday, October 25, 2009

Viciously attacked (AE&D)

Birds were calling and singing to one another not far away. Some in the trees, some flying past above us. Hover flies were buzzing nearby, stopping briefly to investigate something, then moving on. Squirrels were vandalizing trees, reminding me of the stories I'd heard of the bombing during WWI and WWII... They had me convinced it was, in fact, squirrels, not Germans, who had done all that damage to our country. Then there were the deer... Some were rutting, others grazing peacefully. And there we were... Rightt in the middle of all of this. Content to be there. Content to enjoy the feeling of being surrounded by nature, and glad we had no reason to rush away.

That's when it happened.

The hover fly that had been trying to figure out what I was buzzed off. The squirrel in the nearest tree hopped on to another tree. And - suddenly - something hit my shoulder. I was under attack! Some vile creature had taken it upon itself to disturb my musings and begin dive bombing me!


No... Wait...

It was just a leaf!

Scared me half to death though... I swear, if I'd jumped any higher I'd have ended up either in my Dad's arms or right up in the tree with the squirrel! The squirrel which - I swear - was laughing at me!

8 comments:

Lynn said...

I can just hear that squirrel too, these squirrels here in our woods are fussing all the time at my cats lol

Deanna said...

I can just imagine how scary the unexpected can be. Do you speak squirrel? They are a fussy bunch!

LadyStyx said...

*gigglez* Dont ya just hate being so intune with everything else around you then something startles you right out of your musings?

AliceKay said...

I would have been startled too. Squirrels have chattered at me before. I guess they don't like to have their picture taken or something. LOL

Tori_z said...

Deanna:
I'm afraid I'm not very good at speaking squirrel. But I speak it well enough to know he - or she - was laughing at me!

Intense Guy said...

I know that sound... the sound of squirrels laughing at me... that BAA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAA they make when they dive out of the picture just as the camera shutter clicks and the HEE HEE HEE HAW HAW HEE HAW they make when they see me trip on a nut they left on the path and the HOO HOOT HOOT they make when they watch Tarzan on the Squirrel Network Television and see the chimp...

Umm.. I better go check and see what is in this coffee this morning...

Celticspirit said...

Oh my Gosh......that was too funny....the way you told that story. Sorry you were startled though.

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
Yeah, we had a lot of that when we were at Gelli Aer... I swear they're plotting against us!

Barb:
It was funny... Once I realised it was just a leaf. ;)