Saturday, October 17, 2009

My little big brother

Yesterday - October 16th - was my "little big brother" (Carl)'s birthday.

I have no idea what prompted me to call him my "little big brother" but I've done so ever since I can remember. Perhaps it's just a shorter way I came up with of saying that he's the youngest of my brothers, but since he's older than me, he's still my big brother. Basically, I imagine it's a shorter way of saying "the youngest of my big brothers." Like I said though, I'm just guessing here, because nobody really knows why I started calling him my "little big brother"... And - to my knowledge - nobody's entirely sure when I started doing so either. I, for one, don't remember deciding to do so... Nor do I remember a time when I didn't do so.

Anyway...

I was going to post a couple of photos of him, but I haven't had a chance to have someone help me pick out good ones. So, instead, I'm going to just do a post about him.

Carl is now 26 years old. I believe I mentioned recently how close in age we are, and that we look quite alike - or, did as kids - so that many people mistook us for twins. Some people still do.

He was diagnosed with Glaucoma at birth, and lost the eye he had sight in during a car accident when he was 2. But that didn't stop him being in to everything. Nor did it stop him going to university. He graduated from Cambridge university a couple of years back, and last year married the girl he met through a friend he made while in university. The two of them now live in Norwich, in Norfolk, near her parents. She's a school teacher, and... I can never remember his job title... He helps other disabled people - and their families and carers - to get the support they need, and - in cases where it's possible, or necessary - get out in the workplace themselves.


He's always been one of those lads who can charm the socks off just about anyone, and - for the most part - is quiet, patient, and easy going. Although, he does have a nasty temper when it does show up.

But, the best part of all... He's my litttle big brother! :)

Happy birthday, Carl!

Tori

8 comments:

Deanna said...

Happy Birthday little big brother! Isn't it strange how we come up with names for people and have no clue why...

Intense Guy said...

Happy Birthday Tori's little big brother!!

Reminds me of when I used to play down at the creek throwing rocks in - a little neighbor boy was there and he tried to pick up this huge boulder and finally gave up saying, "This is a little big for me!"

AliceKay said...

Happy belated birthday to Tori's little big brother, Carl. (i hope it was a good one)

(lol @ iggy...i've probably said that same thing...this is a little big)

Celticspirit said...

Happy birthday to Carl! He seems to have accomplished a lot for his young age. :)

MarmiteToasty said...

Birthday wishes to Carl, your little big brother........ what a terrific bloke...

x

Tori_z said...

Yes, he's a terrific bloke!

Will pass on all birthday wishes when I speak to him next.

LadyStyx said...

Happy Birthday (belated) Carl!

Tori_z said...

I passed on all birthday wishes, and Carl says thank you. :)