Saturday, October 03, 2009

Something I got from Deanna's blog

Not too long ago, Deanna did this thing where you list seven interesting things about you that your blog readers don't - or might not - know. And then you get an award. She seemed to be passing it out to anyone interested in playing along, so I figured I'd play at some point. Well, I don't have anything else planned for today's post, so I figured I'd do it today... Here goes!


Some of you may know a couple of these, but there should at least be a couple of you who don't. And I hope they're interesting. But if they're not... Well... To be honest, there's not much I can do about that. If you don't find them interesting, just don't read them... Simple as that!

1. I absolutely detest the taste of coffee, and it's all because someone mixed up mine and my Dad's mugs one time. My Dad drinks his coffee cold, and when you're expecting a cup of tea and get a stone cold cup of coffee... Well, it kind of puts you off. Now I wont drink coffee, because every time I think of the taste of coffee I remember that cold cup of coffee.

2. I love to read. I'll read - or listen to - just about any type of book. Having something to read - even if it's something I've read loads of times before - is my priority when going somewhere. I don't mind if there's no TV, I don't mind if I can't play music, I don't even mind if there's no internet access. As long as I can take a book with me, or buy one when I get there, I'm good to go!

3. My earliest memory involves my Nana (great-grandmother) who died when I was six. I was somewhere between 2 & 1/2 and 3, and was chasing a cat (I think it was my cat, Lucky). The cat went under the TV, and I tried to follow it. Needless to say, I banged my head. Nana came and picked me up, gave me a hug, and took me in the kitchen with her. She was cooking dinner, and she sat me on the kitchen counter with a sweet of some sort (I assume to both stop me crying and be sure I'd stay put and not try that again).


4. The day I went in to hospital to have my last eye out I got up early enough to watch the sun come up. By this time I could only see the difference between light and dark, but I felt I needed to do it, and I'm glad I did. I may not have been able to properly appreciate the beauty of it, but the fact I made an effort to watch the sun come up on the last day I'd be able to do so makes me feel good. And the thought has been some comfort to me over the past (almost) 15 months.

5. I used to keep a diary - or journal, if you prefer - but shredded every last page after I lost my sight, because if I couldn't read them any more then I didn't want anyone else to either. I had several books full of my thoughts, feelings, random bits of ideas for stories and poems, random facts I wanted to remember, and anything else that caught my attention - or imagination - long enough to be written down. But because I didn't want anyone reading the thoughts and feelings written in them I shredded the lot, then put the pieces in different bins around the house so the pieces would be more difficult for anyone to collect up. Not that I know anyone who would attempt to do so, but it seemed important to me to do that at the time.

6. I have a very vivid imagination, and it doesn't take much to set it off... Nine times out of ten in the wrong direction. Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while will probably know this. Those who haven't... Well, just read the post I plan to do for tomorrow. ;)

7. Carl - my brother - and I are so close in age, and looked so alike as youngsters, that some people mistook us for twins. A few people still think we're twins. We never bothered correcting them. There's actually just over a year between us, but people who don't know us that well don't seem to realise that, and it's never really seemed worth the effort of explaining it.


Anyway... Here's the award that goes with this...




If you haven't had this, but you want to do it... There you go! Help yourself!

Enjoy whatever's left of your day! :)


Tori

8 comments:

Wendyburd1 said...

Oh Tori!! Numbers 4 and 5 made me tear up!! ((HUGS)) I totally get you not wanting someone to read stuff, what if it was something you NEVER intended getting out?! Ouch!

I can't drink coffee, or caffeinated tea, against Mormonism, but I ADORE the smell of coffee. It reminds me of my Grandma's house when she was still alive. And it smells divine now to me for some reason. But I love hot chocolate

Celticspirit said...

Very interesting stuff! I enjoyed reading it.

LadyStyx said...

Not much on the smell of coffee either. Mostly because of highschool... there was a teachers' lounge in the one wing of the school where the teachers were FOREVER forgetting they put a pot of it on. That scorched coffee smell permeated every corner of that wing of the school.

AliceKay said...

Interesting things.

I'm glad you were able to "see" the sunrise that particular morning. I'm sure you'll remember that for the rest of your life. *hugs*

Deanna said...

Tori, that was great. I'm glad you grabbed it an did it. It is beautiful that you got up to see what you could of the sunrise.

Interesting that both of our "things" included coffee tales.

Intense Guy said...

Hugs.

It took a certain kind of courage to get up and look at that sunrise... and it took another kind of courage to destroy your journals.

I'm not a big coffee drinker. I only drink it if it's offered to me.

I hope your imagination runs wild today - but in nice ways.

Tori_z said...

Wendy:
Yep, that's what I was worried about... That's why I destroyed every last page.

I don't even really like the smell of coffee!

Barb:
Glad you found them interesting. :)


AK:
I expect it will. And I'm glad too!

Tori_z said...

Styxie:
Yeah, that would put anyone off! *Pulls a face*

Deanna:
Glad you found my post interesting. And it was actually your mention of coffee that made me think about that one. My first thought on reading your entry was, "yuck! I hate coffee!" Then I got to thinking about why, so had to add it in. :)

Iggy:
I don't know about courage. I feel like I'm lacking in that department. It just felt important to do those things. So, I did them.

My imagination usually runs off in some random direction at some point through the day. I just rarely share my musings. I expect most of you would be backing away rather quickly if I shared some of the things that go on in my head. ;)