Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cruelty and suffering

I've been sat here for a while now, just wondering what I should write. It's not that I don't have anything to say. I can always find something to say. No. It's that I wanted to write a post about something spacific, but I can't seem to get it right. I wanted to write about my concern for those friends who are going through a rough time... Be it because of their own suffering, or because of the suffering of a family member. I wanted to write about how cruel the world is, with floods and other disasters - natural or otherwise - taking many lives every single day. I wanted to write about how strange it seems to me that the human race can find it within themselves to pray to a God who they believe is responsible for all of these things. And how cruel humans can be sometimes... Creating and using weapons in order to destroy one another, yet complaining when people use these same weapons on people they care about. And I wanted to write about how I can't help wondering why - should any God(s) or Goddess(es) exist - he/she/they can sit back and allow all the things that happen in this world to happen. Perhaps he/she/they can't help but delight in our suffering? Perhaps, for example, that which we call "The Devil" is simply another name for the side of our God(s) or Goddess(es) that we don't really want to admit exists? Or, perhaps both names - "God" and "The Devil" - are simply man-made creations that are essentially physical forms for the two sides of man? In other words, the good and evil that exists in us all. But I don't know where to start, nor how to finish. And - to be honest - I'm not even sure how to go about writing the bit in the middle either. After all, where do you start with writing such a post?


Tori

6 comments:

The Wife O Riley said...

That is very heartfelt and thought provoking. Thank you Tori.

Intense Guy said...

I think you managed to say what you wanted anyway...

...and you raise some long unanswered questions...

Some of the issues are "mankind" simple refusal to be responsible for what they do - We aren't nearly as "civilized" as we claim to be... the proof is out there... each and every day - it can't be argued we are, on the whole, a bunch of savages.

..and then when we gather together - like now, to help those in Haiti - we show that we can behave... at least for a short while... we have horrible memories though... and seem destined to never learn from events in our own history.

AliceKay said...

I've have questions such as those myself, Tori.

*hugs*

ChicagoLady said...

I don't think God causes disasters. They are a part of living on this planet which is very much alive, despite man's best efforts to kill it.

I also believe man has both good and evil inside him/her, and it's up to us to choose the right way to live. We were born with free will, and unfortunately some choose evil over good.

Everyone has rough times, family members that are ill or needing help. Having friends and family near is what helps them stay strong and deal with life. Some are better at it than others. No one said life would be fair, but it's a journey all of us take in our own way, and for most of us, it's the greatest adventure ever.

Wendyburd1 said...

Very thought-provoking, and no easy answers to any of it.

Toriz said...

Thanks for your comments all. :)