Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Monday, Tuesday, and unfair prices (R/WP and kinda FD)

For anyone wondering... Yes, I did go and sort the washing after I got off the laptop. Then I gave the dogs their lunchtime treats, had lunch, watched some TV, took a nap, and had dinner.

After dinner I ordered a couple of audiobooks with the money I'd had for my birthday and Christmas but hadn't gotten around to spending yet. I always take my time getting audiobooks, because they're not exactly cheap as a general rule. Especially if you want complete and unabridged. Anyway, I'd had almost the complete Discworld series on cassette, but they'd been played so many times that they weren't working too well any more, and many of them had snapped ribbons so didn't work at all. Plus, they were abridged versions. So, I ordered the first three on CD. It cost me just under £80 for the three, but a few pennies over that £80 once postage was added. I think it's wrong really that they charge so much for the audiobooks when you can get books for so little. Yes, I do appreciate that the cost of it would be more due to CDs costing more than paper, and the cost of someone being paid to read it out loud. But there's no reason for the prices they charge. The Discworld books, for example, cost about £5 ($10) each if you buy the book in print, but they cost £20 ($40) or more if you buy them as audiobooks. Why? I mean, I could understand them costing twice the price of the book, but why at least 4 times the price? Why should people like me who can't read the print books have to pay what could possibly be as much as £50 ($100) for a book that costs £10 or less in print?

Iggy sent me a link about a device that reads text for you. Here's the link if you want to take a look. It's a great idea, and would be extremely useful. Shame about the price tag though. Why do things like this have to be so expensive? It's not fair! It's like they think to themselves, "oh, the people who would use this will need it enough to be willing to pay whatever, so let's see how much we can get away with charging for it!" Well, guess what? People who could use things like this to help them out with day to day life - e.g. reading mail - can't usually afford these price tags, and would be more eager to buy it if it was a reasonable price. Even my Jaws programme cost less than that! And my laptop was even less again! It's wrong that something that is more or less a camera with speech software costs about three times the price of most laptops. Why do they insist on taking advantage of the fact that people who are looking for such items will - if they feel itt would really benifit them to own it - find the money somehow? Why can't they just say, "hey, you know what? People need this, it's not their fault. We need a decent amount of money for making it, but let's make it readily available to those who could benifit from it." Then set a decent price... A price people who aren't in jobs that pay a couple of thousand pounds per month can actually afford without having to save every spare penny for who knows how long. A price that's reasonable, but which still helps to pay for the time and energy involved in creating it. I mean, it could easily be quarter of the price it is and still line their pockets well, I bet, and it would be more affordable.

Anyway...

By the time I was done with deciding which audiobooks to buy, and doing any other bits I wanted to do on the computer, it was pretty much time for Supernanny, which I watch on Monday and Friday evenings. So I watched that, had supper, then basically just went to bed.


Today (Tuesday) I spent most of the morning with Mam on the Wii. OK, fine, she was on the Wii, and I wasn't. I was there though... I was giving her encouragement and "trying" to persuade Willow that Mam wasn't actually trying to play with her. LOL! Then, after lunch, I took a nap. And here I am now on the laptop catching up on blogs, e-mails, and posts that are on Dad's forum. Dinner will be ready soon, so it's good that I'm done. So...


Enjoy whatever's left of your day, stay warm, and stay safe! :)

Tori

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I am hoping the price for that Intel Reader device drops - and drops a lot. It just came out on the market with the past month or two - so its a really new item.

I think the other factor holding the price up is that people think, "well, if health insurance covers it, who cares how much it costs" and this device likely is covered by some health insurance plans here in the USA.

But back to the flipside - there is hope for something like this being affordable in the not to distant future.

I found another bookstore with a whole shelve of used audio books - I didn't see any titles that caught my eye - but I keep an eye out for them. :)

Deanna said...

It is a shame that the cost for items so useful to you is so expensive. But like Iggy said, items new to the market start out high and then the price begins dropping.

I hope the weather has improved in your part of the world!

G said...

That seems to be the rule nowadays. Something that is relatively new will cost a good chunk of change, until more manufacturers get on the bandwagon. Once that happens, or if supply exceeds demand, the price should drop.

As for used CD's/audio books, that may be the best way to go. Can save anywhere from 25-50% off the price of new. Plus it's a great way to expirement with new titles without going broke.

Toriz said...

I'm hoping the price goes down nicely, but it doesn't always. Things like braille printers still cost over £1000 ($2000) and braillers still cost £400 ($800) as a general rule. But if enough people want it then perhaps the price will fall nicely.


Iggy:
Thank you for keeping an eye out for audiobooks. I hope you know that I really appreciate that.

Deanna:
It's a bit damp, and a bit cold, but yes, the weather has improved some.

G:
Yes, that is a cheaper option.

AliceKay said...

It's called greed, Tori, with a capital G. I'm afraid there are a lot of companies out there who like taking advantage of people because of it.

Toriz said...

AK:
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you there. Most people are greedy nowadays.