Monday, April 05, 2021

Of #Covid Jabs And Broken Fingers

 We've all now had our first Covid vaccinations.  By 'we' I mean Mam, Dad, and my brother,Wayne, as well as both Kelly and myself.


Kelly got a letter inviting him to book to have his - addressed to the new address in Wales, but inviting him to book it for England, with only the number to call about it in England included in the letter.  When I got that straightened out, we ended up both booked for March 24th.  So, Mam had hers on March 13th, Dad on March 20th, Kelly and me on March 24th, and Wayne on March 30th.

 

They spoke to the medical advisor they have, and decided I should be OK to have mine, but they'd keep me a bit longer for observation afterwards than they normally do for people.  I wasn't feeling entirely reassured, but I know of people with issues with flu jabs who did do fine, so I agreed to have my jab.


Mostly everyone was fine.  Kelly was just tired with a sore arm for about 24 hours and then fine.  Dad and Wayne have had sore arms for a bit, but are otherwise fine.  Mam got a headache to go with her sore arm, and both those things lingered a while, but she's otherwise fine.  As for me...

 

You'll know about this if you've been following my posts on Twitter and Facebook, but... Yeah, I'm having a bad time with it.  I seemed to be doing OK at first; we thought I was just going the same way as Mam, with a sore arm and headache, and the only difference between how we were reacting being that my arm got badly bruised in the jab area.

 

But my symptoms got worse several days in.

 

To cut a long story short, I got bad enough we called 111 (the non-life-threatening emergency number for here in the UK... For if you need medical advice but can't get to speak to a doctor) and was advised to go to hospital. 

 

Every muscle hurts, my joints are stiff and achy, my head feels like it's trying to explode (and only gets worse if I concentrate for a long time) and I feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest.  Not to mention, my arm is still very bruised, I'm exhausted even though I'm sleeping a LOT, the pain is making me feel sick (and dizzy when it increases) and my temperature keeps dropping and then going back to normal before dropping again (my version of having a fever, since mine runs high normally and drops when I'm not well).


With allergies and existing health issues, there's nothing they can even do to help with the pain, and since so little is still known about this, they don't even know if I'll be better in a few days, a few weeks, or somewhere in between.  They can't even be sure if I'll have lasting issues from this.  All they can tell me for sure is I'd likely react the same - or worse - if I have the second vaccination, so I should probably not have it.  I decided not to mention to them that given how I'm doing right now I'd already decided I'm not having that second jab.

 

In case you're wondering: I had the Pfizer vaccine.  Kelly and I both had that from the same batch on the same day, so we know it's me and not the vaccine itself.  Mam and Dad - and I'm pretty sure Wayne too - had the Oxford, which is actually the one people are more commonly having issues with according to the doctor and nurses at the hospital.  They apparently see a huge percentage less bad reactions with the Pfizer one.  I'm just one of those people who really doesn't do well with these jabs.


Anyway, my time on the computer is seriously limited right now, because I can't tolerate it for too long, but I have some things I want to be posting over the next few Fridays, so I'll be using my computer time to focus on setting those up, especially since it's going to take longer than usual due to having to be done in short stints.  Even this post is having to be done over a couple of days.  This means it's likely going to be a while before I can start tackling the ever-increasing pile of eMails and post notifications waiting for me.  Please bear with me.  I'll do what I can, when I can, but the doctor's advice is to rest, drink plenty of fluids, take whatever pain relief I can tolerate, and ride it out.  It's not the most helpful advice out there, but my body agrees with it, so I'm going to do it.

 

On the bright side: at least my broken finger is healing well, and I can use the hand some now, as long as I'm careful of the middle finger (the damaged one) and don't do it for long, or for anything fiddly or heavy.  Not that I can manage fiddly and heavy right now anyhow.  Still, at least something is improving, which is comforting.


And, despite her best efforts, Mollie has not yet managed to figure out how to steal the bandage from my hand.  She tries every day... She seems to find it fascinating for some reason.  Silly chinchilla!

10 comments:

Jeanie said...

I'm so sorry to hear you are having such grim complications with the vaccine. I hope they don't last too long and that you will soon find relief. At least the hand is a wee bit better. You take care. I'm sure all will be well in time. Till then, hang in there.

Jayde said...

Oh dear Tori you have been going through the warse bless you,I hope it doesn't last to much longer , And the Elephant soon gets of your chest .
Hope Molly leaves the bandage alone, xc

Rita said...

I had the same symptoms you did except for the elephant on the chest part. Pain all over, exhaustion, bad headache, hot and cold, dizziness, arm felt like I had a baseball under the skin, hurt and hot and turned red in a band across the outside about 2 1/2 to 3 inches wide. I was still sleeping a lot and just starting to feel a bit more energy when I was due for the second shot a month later.

With the second shot--it was worse. I got the shakes--incontrollable shivers--and slept even more. So achy all over it hurt to move. Headache to where I couldn't open the blinds. And I slept and slept and slept. I'm still tired and my hours are messed up from all the napping. But I am still glad I got them because I know I already had chronic illnesses, as you know. In fact I kind of live with a lesser version of those symptoms except for the fever all the time. So it didn't surprise me that the shot set my symptoms into overdrive, I guess.

Anyways, I can certainly relate. I just think of how bad it would have been for me if I got covid if I had such a reaction to the vaccine, you know? But you ended up in the hospital and they said you should skip the second shot so I would certainly do what they said. You will have quite a lot of immunity even with one shot from what I have heard. I hope you feel better soon. I'm still dragging myself around and dozing off here and there. I am not expecting to feel more myself for another week or two. But I know I was starting to feel better before the second shot so I know I will get back there eventually. So I would bet you will feel gradually better, too. It's frustrating, but it should pass in a while. Our bodies were working really hard so we must be well protected. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Jeanie!

Victoria Zigler said...

Grandma:
Thanks. I hope the elephant gets off my chest too... He/she is heavy.

Mollie probably won't leave the bandage alone... She's fascinated by it. I think she'll miss it when it comes off soon.

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yeah, I know you've had a tough time with shots too. Seems to be those of us with existing health issues that have the roughest time of it from what I've seen, regardless of which we're given. Hope you're back to your normal soon.

I only didn't end up in hospital longer because I was stable enough to be sent home, and they just don't have the resources to keep anyone in that they can send home right now, especially when - other than keeping a closer eye on me themselves - there wasn't really anything besides what I could do at home that could be done anyhow. Also, I think the fact I had to get special permission to get even the first shot - and only my health being stable enough that I hadn't been in hospital for more than 12 months got me that permission - is why I'm not allowed the second shot. Like you said though, even one shot gives some protection.

robbiesinspiration said...

I am really sorry to read this, Tori. We only have the J&J vaccination here and they've only vaccinated 250 000 people out of 60 million so I don't really need to worry about it. I am glad to know this and I have read about other bad reactions although I am really sorry this happened to you. At least I am warned and Michael and I will not have a vaccination unless we no for sure it's safe. We are both highly allergic.

Victoria Zigler said...

Robbie:
Thanks. Yeah, if you and Michael are highly allergic you want to be careful. For most people the vaccines are safe, but some of us are more sensative, especially those of us with existing health issues. Those who can should get it, but talk to someone about it, and then do what's best for you and Michael based on your health issues.

Deanna said...

I'm sorry you've had such a tough time. I hope you begin to feel better soon!

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Deanna.