Friday, May 14, 2021

A Weather Report, Medical Mutterings, A Swingseat, And A Doorstep Delivery

The weather can't seem to make its mind up whether to be hot or cold, but other than that we're back to the usual Welsh weather: rain, with the odd dry spell - sometimes even a day or two of dry weather - in between.

 

*~*~*

 

I'm still not back to my normal, but am getting there.

 

I had several days earlier this week where I caught up on some of the sleep I'd been missing through the pain being so bad in the beginning (and not being able to take much for it) and that's helped some too.

 

~

 

But... Guess what I did?

 

I apparently failed to learn my lesson about car doors, and shut my thumb in one this time.

 

Yes, really.  And, yes, same hand.

 

Different car this time though, since this time it was my Mam's car door.

 

~

 

So, off I went to the hospital again, for doctors to x-ray and examine my right hand.

 

It was a VERY long night of waiting (because a lot of emergencies kept coming in) with no access to pain relief because they can only give the one thing I can tolerate (liquid Ibuprofen, which generally ends up being the Ibuprofen meant for infants and young children) with doctor permission (which I couldn't get until I spoke to a doctor, which is what I was waiting to do already) or on the paediatric ward, and I can’t take Paracetamol (which is a shame, because they were handing those out to anyone who needed pain relief without hesitation).

 

~

 

Anyway, thankfully, when I FINALLY – after almost 12 hours at the hospital... I kid you not – got to talk to a doctor, it was to learn that I hadn’t broken anything this time, and for the record the break from last time has definitely fully healed.  So, this time all I got was a very painful and bruised thumb.  There was some minor bleeding below the skin and nail, but nothing to worry about, and this time I’m meant to make sure to use my hand as normally as the pain will allow, and take what pain relief I can tolerate as needed.  At least I’m not back to doing things one handed.

 

I am, however, starting to really hate cars.  LOL!

 

~

 

Anyway, it was Friday night I spent at the hospital waiting to see someone about my thumb.  Then I slept most of Saturday and a lot of Sunday, which helped some with the feeling achy all over issue.  My head still hurts and so does my hand, but I’ll take any improvement I can get.

 

Besides, I’m lucky I’m not doing worse than I am, especially after Monday, when I had one of those days, if you know what I mean.  Honestly, with how many minor accidents I had on Monday, I’m surprised I didn’t end up back at the hospital that day.  Yeah, it was that bad.



 *~*~*

 

 I wanted somewhere to sit out in the yard while the dogs are out there.  But I wanted it to be something I didn't have to constantly set up every time I wanted to sit outside - especially given the fact they go out there several times a day - which would also be OK left out there all the time, regardless of weather.  After all, the dogs have to go out every day, regardless of weather.


So, we got me a swingseat.

 

We actually got it about two weeks ago, but I forgot to mention it last week.

 

I had one just like it before we moved down to Hastings, but got rid of it when we didn't have a yard.

 

~

 

It's sturdy enough to not blow away in anything but extreme wind, and with our yard being how it is, the wind would have to be incredibly bad gale-force wind to be strong enough to move it. Plus, it has a canopy, which keeps the worst of the rain off me when I'm out there when it's wet, and also stops the seat from becoming overly wet .  At least, it does when it's adjusted to act as a cover.  Or the canopy can be adjusted to allow the sun to reach me better on a nice day.  Given what Wales is like with rain, I'm leaving its default position as a shelter from rain though, since the time I didn't my seat got rather wet.


~


I'm enjoying sitting out there while the dogs are in the yard.  It makes it more enjoyable when I have a nice place to sit, and makes me less likely to be impatient and want to make them hurry up.


When Dad first finished putting it together for me, Logan gave it a good sniff, but then decided it wasn't interesting enough to need further investigation, so has ignored it beyond checking I've gone to it to sit down since.  But Lilie sometimes wants to sit on it with me.  Lilie especially loved when the weather is chilly, because when it got chilly for a few days after I got it, I took a blanket out to snuggle in on it, so she snuggled under it with me while Logan was keeping warm by chasing shadows and anything else that moved.  Literally.  Logan will chase anything that moves, even if it's just a shifting shadow.

 

*~*~*

 

I had a doorstep delivery of some homemade vegan-friendly dandelion honey earlier this week.


I'd hoped to snatch a quick doorstep visit with my friend, Carrieanne - the person who I got it from, and who was also the one delivering it - but the dogs had one of those days where they were barking constantly (no matter what I did to try and stop them) she couldn't wait long, and by the time I realized the dogs were barking for a good reason that time, and actually made it to the door, she'd had to just place the jar on the doorstep and go.  Last time I saw her in person was before I moved down to Hastings, so I was really disappointed to have missed her.  But at least I got the dandelion honey.


I had some on crumpets for breakfast next mornin, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

6 comments:

Rustic Pumpkin said...

Well, you've been through the wars lately. I hope you're through with it all now and can enjoy your garden swing seat, if only spring would bring on some decent weather {Derek the Weather seems to think next week}

Victoria Zigler said...

Deb:
Thanks. I hope so too. We'll soon find out if the weather predictions are correct. I don't really mind rain that much though, even if I can't say I would be disappointed to have some dry days to enjoy now that I've got somewhere nice to sit out in the yard.

Rita said...

I'm glad you didn't break any bones this time at least. I slammed a finger in a car door once and it cut right through the base of my fingernail. They thought I wouldn't have a nail anymore, but it finally grew back--just a little imperfect on the one side but it's not noticeable. I lucked out. But it was a very long healing process. I hope this time the healing will be quicker for you. Be super careful around car doors, Tori. You can always let someone else shut them for you. :)

Oh how nice to have a swing out there to sit while the dogs can play and take their time doing their business--LOL! Or snuggle with you under a blanket. Perfect!

Sorry you missed your friend. But the honey sounds good! Have a great weekend. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Ouch! What I did each time was painful enough. That can't have been pleasant. Glad the nail did grow back. Yes, it's healing quicker this time. It already doesn't even hurt much. I like to do things myself when I can, but I'm seriously starting to agree with the idea of letting others open and close my car door for me. LOL!

Yes, I love having the swingseat out there. It's good to be able to sit down so the dogs can take their time. Plus, the canopy keeps the worst of the rain off me, which is nice. I don't mind getting wet really, but I can't deny I'm glad to be able to avoid getting completely soaked while waiting for them to be done playing, or find that perfect spot. ;)

The dandelion honey is very nice. Still disappointed I missed the doorstep visit, but I'm definitely enjoying the honey. :)

Jeanie said...

That's rugged, Tori. I suppose it's good you didn't break anything this time but still -- pain is pain, whether it is broken or not. I hope it eases up soon.

The honey and the swing sound like very nice things -- and it's good you had these pleasant things after that stint at the hospital. Now, you be careful around the car!

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
It's definitely loads better than it was. And I'll try to be careful enough not to let it happen again. I can't promise it won't happen again, but I can assure you I'm going to be trying to keep my hands away from car doors as much as possible.

Yes, it's wonderful to have the swingseat and dandelion honey as nice things to balance out ending up with yet another hospital trip.