Monday, August 30, 2021

Random Ramblings - August 30th 2021

Yes, it's Monday and not Friday.  But I'm participating in a bunch of blog tours, as you've no doubt noticed, and between those and tags and things my Fridays keep getting filled up, so I thought I'd put up a post today to catch you up on a few random happenings.

 

*~*

 

On the anniversary of Nan's death (August 19th) we invited Dad and Wayne to our place, and Mam picked up Chinese for us all on her way to join us.  Even the dogs got some of the chicken and rice Kelly and Wayne were eating (Izabel took hers home, and we even sent some home with Wayne for Maya).

 

We thought it would be nice to all get together, and have something nice happen on the anniversary.  I think Nan would have liked us to do something we enjoy, and we all enjoy Chinese food.


Anyway, we had a lovely evening together, it was nice to have a distraction from how much we were missing Nan (I know I was glad of it) and the food was pretty good too.

 

*~*

 

The inspection planned for August 23rd didn't happen, because the three year old daughter of the person who was meant to be doing it wasn't well, and nobody else could come in her place.  The little one is fine... It's only that any signs of them not being quite right means they aren't allowed to go to creche (daycare) and she couldn't very well be dragging her toddler around to do inspections.  Unfortunately, I got the message several hours after it was sent, when we were wondering why nobody had shown up, since signal isn't too great at my Mam's house, and I was already there with the dogs by the time the message came through.  Though I would have gotten it literally right after arriving if I'd gotten it when it was actually sent, judging by the timestamp on it.


Why was I at my Mam's place with the dogs? Because - despite the government's insistance on having as many things as possible return to how they were in the pre-pandemic days, and fact I'm glad to see some of our freedom being returned to us - I don't feel comfortable being in the house when someone I haven't been around is here just yet, especially with the combination of my not being able to have the second jab, my compramized immune system, and the Delta variant.  It's risky enough having Kelly here with them, but someone has to be, and they want the inspection done in person now government restrictions don't prevent them from doing it in person.  Personally I'd have prefered photos, like they did when we had the other inspection, but I only get to decide when they can come, not whether or not they can, if that makes sense.  Anyway, since that was the case, we arranged for Lilie andLogan to have a playdate with Izabel while Kelly (who is at least fully vaccinated) stayed home to deal with the inspection.

 

But, like I said, the inspection didn't happen on August 23rd.  Instead it was rescheduled for this week, and is happening on Tuesday August 31st.  Yes, tomorrow.  Hopefully it won't get cancelled this time.

 

*~*

 

Mam gave Kelly her Kindle, since she wasn't using it, has never really used it, and he wanted one to read PDF copies of gaming books on, since the Kindle Keyboard I'd previously given him had died.

 

The one Mam had is a Kindle Fire 7 (7th generation).  My Kindle is a slightly newer model (a Kindle Fire 8) though has been used a LOT more, but I offered him a trade anyhow, and he was happy to have whichever Kindle was on offer.  Why did I offer him a trade then? Because the couple of minor differences in the two Kindles really are minor (slight difference in storage capacity, for example) and the main one makes no difference to me, but is potentially useful for Kelly, which is the fact the Kindle Fire 8 has a slightly larger display than the Kindle Fire 7 has.

 

Plus, then I have an excuse to get the purple Kindle case I spotted on Amazon when I was replacing my iPhones case (which I had to replace, because Mollie tried to eat it, and there was a chunk missing from it in a place where it was causing issues with the case staying on).  No, my new iPhone case isn't purple too.  The new iPhone case has got unicorns on it.  But the case I'm going to get for the Kindle Fire 7 is purple.

 

*~*

 

I watched the 2017 "Wonder Woman" movie on Friday.  I started watching it with Kelly, but I had to do something that couldn't be postponed before it was over (it was time for my Zoom book club meeting, if you really want to know) so missed the end.  I'd been enjoying it enough though that I watched it myself later, and started it again, rather than just continuing from where I'd last seen.  It's a fantastic action-packed superhero movie, with some entertaining scenes.  I'm not as familiar as Kelly is with superhero origin stories, but thought the one they did was excellent, and can tell you it was close enough to the original Wonder Woman origin story to satisfy Kelly.  We both loved how it ended too.  I forgot to actually ask Kelly for his rating, but I'd personally give it five out of five stars.

 

*~*

 

My cousin, Shane, had his birthday on August 19th.  Kelly's cousin, Holly, had hers on August 23rd, and Kelly's Dad will be celebrating his birthday on September 5th.  So, happy birthday to them all.

 

Also, I know a couple of online friends celebrated their birthdays in August too.  So, happy birthday to Jeanie, Barb, and anyone else who's owed birthday wishes for recent birthdays I've missed, or who has a birthday coming up real soon.

 

*~*

 

Finally, I'd just like to take a moment to send out some positive thoughts to Rita, who is currently fighting cancer, and could use all the healing energy and positive thoughts you can send her way.

8 comments:

CarolCooks2 said...

What a lovely newsy post I hope the inspection went well...a lovely idea to celebrate your nan's anniversary with family get together and Chinese :) x

Victoria Zigler said...

Carol:
Thanks. The inspection is tomorrow. Should be fine, but keep your fingers crossed anyhow if you like... It might help, since the positive energy can only help. :)

Rita said...

Awww! Thanks for the shout out, Tori.
I have an inspection tomorrow. Ours are always in person. This seems to be from some new outfit. I'm wondering if they are planning to sell the complex. Saw a group of businessmen walking around the building last week.
Anyways, lots of news. Nice celebration for your Nan. And I liked that movie, too. Have a nice rest of your week and I hope the inspection goes well. :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
You're very welcome. *hugs*

When restrictions were really tight over here they were doing routine inspections with photos, and only going in person when necessary. So they came to do a few repair jobs, but asked us for photos for the inspection. Anyway, hope your inspection goes well. And if they are selling it, I hope it doesn't change things for you with how things work.

Hope you have a nice - and relaxing - rest of your week, and that all went well with your appointments.

Jeanie said...

I'm glad you could all be together to remember your Nan. Times like that call for a family gathering. And I'm sorry about the inspection delay. But I agree - you were smart to be out of the house when someone was scheduled to come that you don't know well or know their story. Who knows why the little girl is sick, really? Maybe just a cold. Maybe not. You did the right thing.

Victoria Zigler said...

Thanks, Jeanie.

Danielle L Zecher said...

That's great that you and your family were able to spend time together on the anniversary of your Nan's passing.

I don't blame you at all for being careful about who you're around. We're both fully vaccinated, but transmission is high in our county, so we're still being really careful.

I hope everything went will with your inspection.

I'm glad you're getting your purple Kindle case, and your unicorn phone case sounds fun.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
Being careful regardless is a good plan in my opinion. And, yes, the inspection went well.