Friday, June 24, 2022

Random Ramblings And Medical Mutterings - June 24th 2022

As you may or may not know, it was the Summer Solstice on Tuesday.  So, for those who acknowledge or celebrate it: belated blessed solstice to you.

 

*~*~*

 

We're starting to get some hot weather.  Well, hot to us.  I know some people wouldn't consider it hot, but for someone like me who considers temperatures in the 60s F to be hot, and a country like the UK with air conditioning usually not an option, it is considered hot.

 

Anyway, it's been in the 70s F too often for my liking, and creeping up to the low 80s a few times too.  I really hope we won't be in for too much of those kinds of temperatures this Summer.  I don't like hot weather.

 

Although, I expect Artemis will be glad if we do get a lot of hot weather, since Mediterranean tortoises like Hermann's Tortoises like hot weather.  Mind you, even Artemis can only deal with so much heat, so I expect even Artemis probably wouldn't want it to get too much above 80 F.

 

*~*~*


Lilie and Logan got groomed on Tuesday. Just in time for the worst of the hot weather.

 

We had a dog groomer come to the house to do them this time, from a company called Dial A Dog.  So far we're pleased with them.  And we definitely love the fact the groomer comes to us, which is much easier.

 

Here are a couple of photos of my freshly groomed puppies.

 

Lilie:

 


Logan:


 

The dogs are booked for another grooming session on September 29th at 10:00am.

 

*~*~*

 

I have a couple of completed craft projects to show you.

 

First of all, I finally finished the loom knitted gloves I was making.  So, for those who can and want to see them, here’s a photo:


I also made this little pillow.  It’s a lavender pillow, and I made it while teaching a class for the ACB Crafters on how to make one.  Anyway, here’s a photo of that too:


 

I have some other projects on the go, but have been doing an awful lot of starting but not completing projects lately.  I’ll show you things as and when I complete them – whenever that happens to be.

 

*~*~*

 

We’ve moved things around so my craft room is now also where my computer is.  It makes it easier for me to access craft supplies when I’m on crafting calls, and at the same time puts me in a room where the dogs are less likely to bark at neighbours who are parking their cars outside our house when going to the local shop.

 

It meant a lot of moving about of things though, since the craft room was rather full.  But we pulled all the books out of there to make space for my computer desk, and are in the process of sorting through the books and papers to see what needs to be kept and what doesn’t (which wasn’t actually done when I got the stuff from Dad when he was handing me Nan’s stuff).  The books and papers we keep will go either in the bedroom with my Braille books and the audio books I’m holding on to (I’m getting rid of any I have digital copies of) or in Kelly’s office (formerly known as the computer room).

 

It was a lot of work, and we’re still not done sorting out the books and papers (which are currently being sorted on the floor in Kelly’s office, since there’s more space to do it in there) but we’ll be glad of it in the long run.  Besides, sorting through the books and papers is a task we’ve been wanting to do, and this is one way to force ourselves to do it.  And, at the same time, I get an office/craft room I can actually work in.

 

*~*~*

 

I’ve got some medical stuff going on during this next week.  Today I’m going to get blood taken ready for my hematologist appointment next week, since apparently I need to get the blood taken the week before these days, and my appointment is July 1st.  And on June 29th I have an appointment with my own dentist, which is the appointment I had originally that I decided to keep, but since the packing that was put on the tooth beside the one the emergency dentist had to pull has come out it’s just as well I did keep it.

 

Interesting timing, since we’re right in the middle of convention activities with the ACB.  There’s some virtual only stuff going on right now, then a few days break, and then the hybrid convention during the first week or so of July.  And, since I’m not in a position to attend in person, I’m one of the people who will be helping out with hosting the virtual aspects of it.

 

I’m also one of the winners of the International Voices Contest they were running, so got my registration for attending any of those virtual events I’m not hosting free (otherwise I’d have had to pay to be able to attend any virtual convention events I’m not hosting).

 

It's going to be a busy few weeks for the ACB Community.

 

I’ll tell you one thing: I won’t be able to complain of boredom.  LOL!

 

*~*~*

 

Plus, because of the recently released charity anthology I was involved with, I had an author interview go live yesterday (June 23rd 2022).  If you’d like to read my interview, go to https://libraryoferana.wordpress.com/2022/06/23/author-interview-stand-together-anthology-victoria-zigler/

 

*~*~*

 

That basically covers what's been going on around here, so I'll let this do for today.

 

No matter what's going on in your life at the moment, I hope you're staying safe and well, and have plenty of things happening to stop you complaining of boredom too.  Even better if they're things that make your heart happy.

 

Also, if it's hot with you too, I hope you're finding ways to keep cool.

9 comments:

Jeanie said...

Congratulations with International Voices and good luck with your doc stuff this week. The dogs look great and I love seeing your projects. I really admire your revamp of your craft room. I have so much to do in mine, I walk in, turn around and walk out. It seems overwhelming. Well done!

Rita said...

That is so convenient to have the dog groomer come right to your home!! They look great, too. :)
The gloves look like they would be so difficult to make! You are sure going to be busy the next couple of weeks. Plus sorting through all the books and papers, too. Does sound like a better fit for you to have your computer in your craft room, though.
Yes, stay cool! :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Yes, definitely very convenient having the groomer coming to us.

The gloves aren't too difficult to make once you master the basic loom knitting stitches.

Absolutely more convenient. Just a bit chaotic here while we sort out the books and papers amid the other things going on. LOL!

Danielle L Zecher said...

I think to some extent hot and cold are kind of relative. If you live in a place that doesn't usually get up to 80 degrees, then 80 degrees probably feels pretty hot to you. For us, this time of year, 80 degrees is actually very cool, but that's comparing it to temps in the mid 90s. And, because it gets so hot, most people here have air conditioners that can handle it. I always think some of the memes making fun of the south after a big snowstorm are a little harsh. Sure, if you live in a place that's used to measuring snow in feet, six inches doesn't seem like much. For places that rarely see more than an inch or two, or a dusting, it's a lot.

Good luck sorting through your papers and books. That seems to be a never-ending task.

Victoria Zigler said...

Danielle:
I agree regarding the weather. And thanks regarding the books and papers.

Cat Strawberry said...

Those gloves and pillow look lovely! :) I hope you're coping in the heat. I have no idea about farenheight numbers, lol, but anything getting close to 30 celsius is impossible for me to cope with. Even above 25 celsius is too much for me. I do think it can be worse here becaude the UK is never prepared for it. We don't have air conditioning as you say and fans are a poor substitute. Add to that the fact it's usually a humid heat here, it makes it hard to breathe (at least for me) and the house I currently live in wasn't built to withstand the temperatures. It's a terrace house, a lot of wood in its construction and huge windows so not the best when the sun is scorching. I hope you are ok with any heat at the moment?

Lilie and Logan look lovely :) That's so convenient to ger the groomer to come to you rather than having to go to them. I hope you enjoyed your ABC events. I'm not sure exactly what it is, I've heard you mentioing it before, is it specifically for blind crafters? Hope you and your petkids are ok, and sorry for not visiting sooner <3

Cat Strawberry said...

Hi Tori, I don't know what happened to my comment, I wrote a long comment but it seems to have disappeared. :o

I hope you are fairing ok in the hot weather. I don't know farenheight, lol, but anything near 30 celsius is far too much for me. I just don't cope well with the heat and the house I live in doesn't help with huge windows letting the sun flood in. I hope you are coping ok though. <3

That's wonderful that the groomer can come to you instead of having to go to them and Lilie and Logan look lovely after their grooming. :)

Sorry I've not visited sooner and commented. Also hope this comment posts. <3 :)

Victoria Zigler said...

Cat:
I have comment moderation turned on for posts more than two weeks old, so if you know you submitted your comment and it doesn't show up don't panic. In theory it should tell you up near the button to close the window that your comment will be published after approval. Anyway, I'm approving both comments instead of just the first intentionally so I could mention that without it seeming random to anyone who might read the comments later.

Personally I struggle to deal with anything over 20C. Our house is a bit more shaded (unlike the last place we lived in, which was like living in an oven in anything above 15C temperatures due to large South-facing windows looking out over the ocean - which provided an awesome view, apparently, but also let in a lot more sun and heat than we would have liked in hot weather) but even with that and the fans the weather is tough for me to deal with right now. It's 26C here at this moment in time. Ugh! And I agree it doesn't help that we aren't equipped to deal with it over here. With the current weather trend, I hope they do something to change that in the not-too-distant future... Like make air conditioning happen in most homes.

Yes, having the dog groomer come to us is definitely a good thing. I'm glad you think they look lovely after their grooming. :)

Thanks about the gloves and pillow.

The ACB is the American Council of the Blind. They do community calls where visually impaired people - and their family and friends, if those family members and friends are interested - can chat, learn from each other, etc. The ACB itself has been around for decades (kind of like the RNIB) but the community calls got started because of the pandemic. They won't be going away any time soon though, because it's seriously grown from the chat calls to allow visually impaired people to connect with one another that it started as to become a thriving online community with more than 100 calls a week. There's a crafter aspect to it, but it's so much more than that.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
For some reason it didn't tell me about your comment, and wanted it to be approved, so I'm sorry for the slow reply.

Anyway, thanks. And I'm not sure the revamping of the craft room is something to be admired. Still trying to figure out what I was thinking getting myself in to it. LOL!