I finally started watching “Anne With An E” on the weekend. Ended up watching all of season 1. I think it’s obvious to anyone who knows the books reasonably well that they’ve made some changes to the plot to keep things action-packed and dramatic for viewers, which I was a bit disappointed about given how many times I’ve heard people insist it’s so much like the books. However, I am enjoying it well enough – even if I think the old version I had on VHS was better, and the books were better still. Still, I am enjoying it, as I said, so I will give it a four out of five stars.
*~*
I enjoy seeing people’s posts about what they’ve been reading, and I keep meaning to tell you what I’ve been reading too. But then I forget. Maybe I’ll do a mid year round-up of what I’ve been reading at the start of July?
In the meantime, if you’re interested, I’m currently reading “The Borrowers Avenged” (the 5th Borrowers book) by Mary Norton, and “Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone” (the 9th Outlander book) by Diana Gabaldon.
Plus, I'm about to start reading “Villette” by Charlotte Bronte, and “The Chocolate Cat Caper” (the first book in the Chocoholic Mystery series) by JoAnna Carl, which are this month’s reads for the book clubs I’m in; those books are the May books for the 18th and 19th century book club and crafters book club respectively.
I’m also slowly – very slowly, since I’ve been focusing more on new to me books, so not picking it up often – reading the “Harry Potter” books by J K Rowling. Yes, I’ve read those multiple times, but they’re something I enjoy re-reading; they're my comfort read go-to books. Besides, this is the first time I’ve read them in Braille, and I have to read them in Braille too, because then I can say I’ve read them in all formats (I’ve already read them in print – in the case of the first book, in both English and Welsh - as eBooks, and as audio books).
Yes, I have a lot of books on the go. I guess it's what happens when you're trying to read for two book clubs, and still want to read something you're just reading for your own pleasure rather than because the group is reading it. It's a good thing I can keep things straight even when I'm reading multiple books, isn't it?
*~*
I actually got some writing time in. Yes, I know, it’s a miracle! I mean, it was only a few minutes, so it wasn’t much, but I’ll take it!
I didn’t get any work done on any of the stories I’d like to finish writing, but I did add a couple of poems to the ones I have yet to publish, which brings me a little closer to having enough to publish a new poetry collection. I still have some way to go to have enough poems for it, but every poem I write brings me that bit closer.
Like I said, it wasn’t much, but I’ll take it!
*~*
We had two reasons to celebrate during this past week: Monday was Beltane, and Tuesday was Kelly's birthday.
~
Beltane - or "May Day" - actually fell on the early May bank holiday this year, so a lot of people were considering it a holiday, even if they didn't celebrate Beltane, since they got a long weekend because of the bank holiday.
Our Beltane celebrations were very minimal; all we really did to celebrate was to have a themed meal. That seems to be how a lot of our celebrations have been going this year. That and whatever ritual we decide to do (mine usually consisting of some kind of meditation ritual, since that's the kind I prefer) but I don't generally mention those, because we learned years ago that it suits us - me especially - better to do rituals quietly and privately, mostly not even including each other in them. I shared a couple of rituals we did together on here several years ago, but these days I keep them to myself.
Anyway, our holiday meal was most definitely a really simple one. It consisted of cheese on toast (vegan cheese for me, of course, but it's the symbolism that counts) and oatmeal biscuits (as in cookies, for those outside the UK). A simple meal, like I said, with minimal cooking, and minimal cleanup, which we were both in favour of.
~
Kelly wanted chocolate cake for his birthday, but I don’t like chocolate cake and he didn’t want me to not have any cake, so we brought him some chocolate cake and I made myself some blueberry and lemon cupcakes (with fresh blueberries). That way he got the kind of cake he wanted, but neither of us got left out, so everyone was happy.
Kelly also wanted to order pizza for dinner. The pizza place he wanted to have from doesn't do anything I can eat - we have that issue with a lot of places, to be honest - but I told him to go ahead and have it anyway. Besides, I was making spicy buttermilk tofu on the cooking call that afternoon (veganizing the chicken recipe that was officially being done this week) so it would only be a matter of cooking up some veggies of some description to go with it to turn it in to a full dinner, which I could do while the tofu was cooking. So, Kelly got his birthday dinner of pizza, and I got to try a new tofu recipe, which made us both happy.
*~*
The weather still hasn’t quite settled, but even the wet days have been warm-ish. The temperature fluctuations have been enough to irritate my asthma, but it’s been consistently warm enough to make my already low hopes they’re wrong about a hot Summer fade even more. Oh well, so it goes. At least I can be grateful for fans and freezers, which will mean I can do something to help me deal with the heat when it comes. At least, I can be grateful for them right now, even if I’m going to struggle to remember to be grateful for those things while wishing we had air conditioning when I’m actually in the position of dealing with the heat.
In the meantime, since I was washing the blankets we have in the living room now that my brother has the other sofa (most of which then either got put back on the sofa and chair we still have, or put within easy reach for those days when I just want to curl up with a blanket on the sofa and read) and the weather has been staying warm even on the days that are kind of rainy and damp, I just kept going and washed the blankets from the bedroom too, and then put away the heavier ones we only need in colder weather. They’re easy to grab should the weather get cold again, but right now we definitely aren’t using them, so don’t need to keep them out.
*~*
I think, all in all, it was a pretty good – and fairly busy - week.
So, how was your week?
6 comments:
Your cake choice sounds much better to me than Kelly's cake choice. :-)
Sometimes low kay, easy clean up is the very best thing.
We've had a fairly busy week. I'm tired! But, we're planning to finish watching the last season of Better Call Sol this weekend, which I'm very excited about.
Have a great weekend!
Happy birthday to Kelly. I would have had plain lemon cake with cream cheese frosting--lol!
Sounds like a good week. You got quite a bit done. We were already up to 77 degrees this week (25C). I am not looking forward to the heat this summer, but I don't know how you get along without AC. Well, I do. I grew up not having AC and I absolutely do remember how miserable it was. But then I never knew anything different. I would hate to go back now after knowing what it is like to have even a crummy AC that doesn't work that well. I will think of you. Wish I had the money to just buy you one!!
Have a really great weekend. Enjoy all your books! :)
Danielle:
I'm not surprised you like the sound of my cake choice best. ;)
Yes, I agree: sometimes low key, and easy clean up, is best. Actually, I like that option more often than not, since it's easier to just enjoy the day that way.
Enjoy your show.
Rita:
I like your choice of cake, and Kelly says thank you for the birthday wishes.
We're already having days where it's hitting the 70s too. Thankfully not many yet, but it's making me dread Summer. I wish you had the money to buy me air conditioning of some kind too. If I ever come in to a large chunk of money, making sure my home has air conditioning is right at the top of my list, that's for sure!
You have a great weekend too. :)
I've watched all of season 1 and 1 episode of season 2 of "Anne With an E". I agree with you. I'm enjoying it but I like the old version with Megan Follows better. My daughter gave me the whole series on DVD and I plan to watch it after I finish "Anne With an E". Of course, as usual, the books are still the best. :)
Deanna:
Glad you agree. :)
Post a Comment