Friday, July 28, 2023

Medical Mutterings - July 2023 Edition


The past month or so has not gone at all to plan.  Plus, I’ve been a really bad blogger lately.  I’ve not been visiting or commenting on any of the blogs I follow, or even responding to comments on my own blog.  In fact, it was all I could do to make sure a post went up each Friday.  And I can’t even promise I’ll catch up with your blogs soon, because I don’t know if I will.

 

Why?

 

Because it turned out the comment I made a while back – I forget if it was at the end of May or the start of June - about already borrowing spoons from July by that point was more accurate than I thought.

 

I don’t have the energy for a long post, but wanted to explain, so I’ll keep this short:

 

I was so busy worrying about my Mam (who isn’t doing too well, for anyone wondering) that I was not only pushing myself harder than I knew I should be, but also not paying attention to how I was doing physically, other than vaguely registering that I wasn’t feeling too great.  The result being that I ended up very unwell, eventually ending up spending almost a week in hospital after being rushed there with a temperature of 40.3 C and drifting in and out of consciousness, because of a kidney infection that got out of control and ended up spreading in to my blood stream.  It’s a good thing Kelly stepped in and called for medical help for me when he did.

 

Actually, if I didn’t have Kelly I don’t know what I’d do right now.  After several days of IV antibiotics and almost two weeks of oral antibiotics I’m doing better.  But I tire more quickly than ever, so I’m not achieving much each day besides the essential tasks.  Even writing this has tired me out enough that I need a nap, despite my not having done anything else except have some breakfast this morning.

 

Sorry.  I'll visit your blogs again when I can.  And, sorry.  This is the best I can do for an update.

6 comments:

Rita said...

Oh no! That sounds awful! I know what it is like to have endless spoonless days and feel absolutely miserable. I am sooo sorry you are going through this. And I truly know what you mean by wondering what would have happened to you if it weren't for Kelly. I do hope you are past the worst of it and on the mend now. I'm so glad you let us know. Please give us an update when you can manage it. No rush. Rest, my friend.

Jeanie said...

Sending many good wishes for a full and quick recovery. It sounds really grim and a reminder that we all need to check ourselves and keep on top of our health -- especially when times are challenging and stressful. Hang in there and get well soon!

Victoria Zigler said...

Rita:
Thanks. Yeah, I know you understand about those no spoon days, and about being grateful you have someone to help you cope when you have them.

Victoria Zigler said...

Jeanie:
Thanks. Yes, definitely a good reminder for that.

Jemima Pett said...

Carry on napping. Some of them will coincide with mine.
xxx

Victoria Zigler said...

Jemima:
Thanks. Yeah, sometimes you just have to take those naps.