We’re back to our, “traditional Welsh weather,” as they say, which means the weather has been much cooler this past week, with plenty of rain. That’s just fine with me, since I don’t like hot weather and I find rain soothing.
*~*
Since I don’t have a lot to say about this week, I thought I’d give you a bit of a medical update. More than just the fact my spoon supply is at an all-time low, so my energy level is low and quickly depleted, I mean.
~
When I was in hospital back in July, I finally managed to get someone to look at my back and listen about the issue I’ve been having with it for ages. And I do mean ages. It’s been a problem on and off for years, but has gotten gradually worse. I did try talking to doctors about it before, but they kept just blaming my weight without even listening or taking a look. The only doctor who ever listened was my haematologist, who told me to do a self-referral for a physiotherapist so they could take a look for me.
The hospital had me see a physiotherapist for some reason (as far as I could tell, it was to see if the blind lady could be walked to the bathroom or not) so – since my self-referral still hadn’t come through - I figured I’d take advantage of having a physiotherapist checking me out and get her to look at my back. She’s referred me for an MRI to take a look, because she agrees it’s not weight-related. She suspects nerve damage, or something behaving like nerve-related issues.
Shortly after I got out of hospital the self-referral for a physiotherapist came through, and I still went for the appointment. I saw him in mid August (August 16th). I did admit to him that I’d seen a physiotherapist at the hospital, and that she’d referred me for the MRI, but I never told him what she said. Yet he gave a similar response; he also suspects nerve-related issues, or something behaving like nerve damage.
I’m glad they both agree I’m right that it’s not weight-related. But I hope it’s not nerve-related, because something like that would be difficult for anyone to do anything about without risking making things much worse. Either way, both of them gave me some exercises to try and help it, but they don’t seem to be doing anything.
Anyway, I was meant to have had the MRI by now, but the appointment they made me was too late in the day for the hospital transport to be able to take me, so I had to call to reschedule. Unfortunately, they apparently do things differently if you’re a patient coming in with hospital transport, and the difference means needing to go to a different hospital, so I’m waiting for an appointment from the other hospital now. If it follows the same kind of timeline as the first appointment did, I should get that appointment letter some time in the next couple of weeks.
I think it’s strange; I don’t see why it makes a difference. I’m taking advantage of the hospital transport – or, “non emergency ambulance transport for the elderly and disabled” to give it its full name – because I qualify for it due to being blind, and my former rides to the hospital are no longer an option. I don’t see how using that means they have to do things differently to how they would if I came in by car with a family member or friend or whatever. But there you go.
In the meantime, one of the doctors at the hospital had referred me for a sleep study because they noticed my oxygen level drops when I’m sleeping, so I have an appointment for that this coming Monday (September 25th).
*~*
I hope you’re as well as you can be, and that September is turning out to be a good month for you so far.
4 comments:
Testing is always a wait and see time--even to just get there in the first place--but I am so glad they are giving you these tests. Maybe you will get some answers! Might not be great answers, but answers nonetheless. It is so nice to have somebody listen to you, isn't it? And take you seriously. I'm hoping you get some positive results and some pain relief and maybe even some spoons!! :) *hugs*
Believe me, Tori, you're not alone on waiting for stuff. If you've seen my medical misadventures of the past month, you'll know I've been in a similar boat. One month later, on treatment. But this is really good news -- you are getting the tests that you need (maybe not yet, but soon). And you'll know a little more. You have found people who hear what you're saying and have a path. All good. As for the exercises, even though you don't think they are helping -- don't stop. Physical therapy takes a long time and if you stop it's easy to regress. Trust me on this!
Rita:
Yes, it's nice to have someone listening, even if having to deal with the appointments while things get checked out isn't fun.
Jeanie:
Sorry you're dealing with so many medical adventures too. And, don't worry, I am still doing the exercises. I don't see that they're helping, but maybe they are and I'd be worse without them? At the very least, I figure they won't make things worse, so keeping them up is worth a try.
Post a Comment