Friday, August 31, 2007

Last night was 'family night'

I went up to my parents' place for dinner yesterday. It was really nice. We had Mam's home made lasagne with roast potatoes and peas. And an apple and pear turnover thingy with custard. I'm not a big fan of pears, but I quite enjoyed it.

Then Dad, Mam, Wayne, Carl and Rachel came down my place for the evening. We were going to play a game, but all the games we have are for six people or less, and there were seven of us, so that idea went out the window. Instead we watched 'The Aristocats' which is a cute little Disney movie about cats. Rachel hadn't seen it, but wanted to, so since I have it we thought it would be a good opportunity for her to see it.

I brought some wine and crisps when I was in Tesco on Tuesday, because we'd already arranged for them to be coming down by that point. Kelly and I don't drink, and Dad couldn't because of driving, so I also got a bottle of non-alcoholic grape wine. Dad's fussy about what he drinks, so he brought a bottle of something with him. I forget what it's called (it starts with an 'S') but it's a non-alcoholic grape and elderflower wine. They were only here for a few hours, but that was all the time it took for seven people to polish off four bottles of wine and three family sized bags of crisps. LOL!

Speaking of elderflower. I have found out that elderflower should be avoided tf pregnant or breast feeding. And, it's not a good idea to have any with my pills, which means I was right to look for an alternative to the tea I usually have when I'm sick. Chamomile is fine though. That's good to know, isn't it?

I don't have any wine glasses, and I forgot to remind Mam to bring hers down, so we had to use the kids' mugs I have. This meant that I spent the evening sipping non-alcoholic wine out of a 'Puppy In My Pocket' cup. Don't remember everyone's cups, but Carl and Rachel had 'Thomas The Tank Engine' and Dad had 'The Magic Roundabout.' LOL! They were cups that Wayne, Carl and I had with Easter eggs when we were little, and Mam gave to me a little while back.


We all had a really good evening, but I think Kero enjoyed yesterday the most. Kelly took him with him when he went to the post office in the morning, so he got a good hour walk there. Then Kelly took him for another walk after dinner, but before I got back with Mam and the others. There wasn't room for all of us in the car coming from my parents' place, so Carl and Rachel walked, and Wayne took Kero to meet them after we got here, while Mam and I were getting the bottles of wine opened and the crisps into bowls. And, at some point in the evening - don't know when it was, but it was dark - Mam, Carl and I took Kero for a walk along the river. And, if that wasn't enough, Kero got one of his balls out when we got back from the walk, and kept bringing it to people, so whoever he brought it to (mostly either me, Carl, Rachel or Mam) would throw it for him, and he'd chase it. He was so tired after all of that, that when everyone left, he took himself in to the bedroom and went to sleep, and he didn't get up again until around 11:00 am (ish) when the mailman came and he needed to get up to bark at him. And I couldn't get him to go for a walk today. Bless him!

By the way, the man in the photo in this post is my Dad (for those who don't know). I took a couple of photos of Carl, Rachel, Megan, Sakura and Kero too. They're in my photo albums if you want to take a look.


Tori

0.S. Happy birthday to our friend Emma's son, Jonathan, who is eight today.

Added - 9:41 pm: This is the bit of information I found while browsing the net to find out if elder was OK for people trying to get pregnant and pregnant people... "Elder flowers, mixed with mint and yarrow blossoms, are excellent internal cleansers when fighting flu and colds. Elder flower oil is a remedy for chapped skin. Elder berries are said to cure insomnia. Elder is used to cleanse the body, build the blood, treat inflammation, fever, and soothes the respiratory system. The leaves can be used as an an insect repellant. The Greeks used a tea from the root as a laxative. Elder can be toxic, especially if fresh, most notably the stems as they contain cyanide. This herb should NOT be used internally by pregnant or lactating women."

4 comments:

TheTeacher said...

Me and Carl figured something out on the way home. We could have played as a pair then we could have played the game ater all! LOL. Still, Aristocats rules!

Tori_Z said...

A bit late figuring it out on the way home there, Rach. LOL! Still, it was a good evening even without playing a game! :)

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

love the photo of your dad, did he know it was being taken ,????.

Tori_Z said...

Grandma:
Yes, it is quite a nice photo, isn't it?

Yes, he did know it was being taken.