Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Bonfire night

About Bonfire Night

Bonfire Night is traditionally celebrated on November 5th. It was on that day in 1605 Guy Fawkes tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

The purpose was to Kill King James I and everyone in government, they hoped to return England to Catholic faith. They warned a friend of their plan by letter, to stay away from the House on the day of the plot. However, the letter giving details of the “Gunpowder Plot” was intercepted and passed on to the King. Soldiers discovered Guy Fawkes with barrels of gunpowder in the cellars of the Houses of Parliament.

Guy Fawkes was tortured and executed along with his co-conspirators. A year after the failed plot an effigy of the Pope was burned on a bonfire which at the time was called a “bone fire”.

"Remember, remember
the fifth of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot,
We see no reason,
Why gunpowder treason,
Should ever be forgot!"

9 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Is the plot not to be forgotten because?

I'm not an advocate for blowing things up nor an advocate for "dumb criminals" but I don't understand why this plots failure shouldn't be forgotten.

ChicagoLady said...

Good question, Iggy.

As long as people think that is a way to effect change, people will continue to try.

Intense Guy said...

Just stopping in to say I hope you are on the mend!!!!

*Hugs*

Punkn said...

Interesting history. So much of what we do makes no sense and yet we record it for all to remember...

Kati said...

(((((HUGS))))) Hey Tori!!!! It's been a while since I've been able to get by. Hoping to make a post tomorrow (or Sunday?) with that award you gave me, for which I thank you, BTW.

Thanks for the post on Guy Fawkes day! I've always found it kinda wierd, in a neat kinda way, that this day is celebrated there in Britain. (And I REALLY love how it was treated and honored in "V for Vendetta".)

Jess said...

Bonefire.
How sinister.

KAYLEE said...

I am praying that you recovering well!!!!! :)

The Wife O Riley said...

I know you are in the process of recovering, but I wanted to let you know that you won the Pay it Foward prize on my blog. When you feel up to it, come on by and claim it.

Hope your feeling good, if not, I hope they give you enough drugs to make you feel good.

Tori_z said...

Thanks all for the comments. :)

I think the reason it's not to be forgotten is that they want everyone to remember that stuff like that did not and will not go unpunished. I think it's more the severe punishment they want remembered than anything else.

Kati:
You're welcome. :)

Wifey:
Will come by and claim it either later on or some time tomorrow. I want to do a post today and it depends how tired I am after that to whether I get to the blog posts today.

Thanks in advance though. :)