Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Rachel Morgan series (PTMI)

I recently listened to the six books currently in existance in Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series. I say it like that because, if I'm not mistaken, a seventh book is due out next year... So Kelly tells me, anyway.

The series goes by another name as well, but I can't remember it.

Anyway... The titles are as follows:

1. Dead Witch Walking
2. The Good, The Bad And The Undead
3. Every Which Way But Dead
4. A Fist Full Of Charms
5. For A Few Demons More
6. Outlaw Demon Wails

I'm not sure what the title of the book that's meant to be coming out next year is.

So, what's the series about?

Well, to cut a long story short, it's about a bisexual living vampire named Ivy who hates herself for being who she is, a rogue witch named Rachel who seems to attract trouble just by opening her eyes in the morning, and a foul mouthed pixie named Jenks with an ego bigger than most humans are tall... Not to mention a sex drive that could put most teenage boys to shame (and the kids to prove it).

The basic plot is that something called "The Turn" happened about 40 years before this, so most of humanity was wiped out by a virus in a genetically engineered tomato. Once "the inderlanders" (witches, vampires, etc) realised their combined numbers now equaled that of the humans they decided to admit to the humans that they actually existed and weren't just fairy stories. The result being a mixed population of humans, witches, vampires, werewolves, etc all living together somewhat happily. It's when the "somewhat" part gets rocky that "The I.S." and "The F.I.B." (and people like Rachel) have to enforce the laws put in place after "The Turn" to keep the peace between the different races/species that now co-exist.

It's a really weird story, but a fantastic one!

If you like books involving witches, werewolves, vampires, etc and don't mind some offensive language, some scenes that could use a "PTMI" warning on them, a bit of blood and gore, and some romance all thrown in to one book, then I highly recommend this series to you.

Tori

6 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Goodness what a framework for a story! Makes me want to keep an eye out for any of those genetically engineered tomatos and their viruses.

The Wife O Riley said...

Sounds like these might be right up my alley. Sounds a little like the Sookie Stackhouse books where Vampires just live among us and are fighting for equal rights.

ChicagoLady said...

The series is called The Hollows, and there is another book coming out next year, in February (not sure about the UK). White Witch, Black Curse.

Interesting, as much as I know you are into fantasy, considering the Harry Potter series, I never would have pictured you reading this series. I might have to check it out at the library.

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
Its OK. It's only set a few years from now, so "The Turn" would have already happened by now. ;)

Wifey:
Yeah... I think you'd enjoy it.

Chicago:
Thanks for the info. :)

I'm not even sure if they sell the books over here. Kelly's friend sent us the mp3s, and the book we've gotten around to getting on CD so far we had to get from the states.

I only started the books because one of Kelly's online friends sent him the story as mp3s, and he was so interested in it I wanted to know what he was making such a fuss about. As it turned out, I really enjoyed it. So much so that - despite him being on book 3 before I even started book 1 - I finished listening to them all before he did. LOL!

Celticspirit said...

Sounds very interesting. I just may have to check out these books. Thanks for doing a write-up about them.

Tori_z said...

No problem. :)