Monday, May 18, 2009

The Beach (LBE & FD)

On Wednesdays Mam and Dad used to come and see us for the afternoon, and we'd putter about at home between lunch time and dinner time. But Mam and I decided we wanted to do something more exciting. So, Mam and I have been going on outings together on Wednesdays instead.

The first week we went to Swansea, and we had lunch in a pub style resteraunt we both like. The place is called "Eli's" and is fantastic. I think I might have mentioned it on here before... It was some time ago though, so many of you would have missed me mentioning it. Anyway, it's one of our favourite places to eat, but we hadn't been there in a while.

The following week we just went and ran some errands, and we had lunch in the cafe at Asda. That was nice too. Not a whole lot of meat free choices, but still nice. And reasonably priced too.

But last Wednesday we went to the beach.



We figured that - since we'd been having some great weather - we'd pack a picnic and go off to the beach. Of course, the weather ended up being not as warm as it had been. In fact, it was a bit chilly, and there was rain threatening all the time. But... *Shrugs*... Hey, we were getting wet in the sea anyway. Besides, we planned a trip to the beach, and damn it, we were going to the beach! ;)



As you can see, the chilly wind didn't stop us playing in the sea. I insisted that you couldn't go to the beach without at least paddling a bit in the sea. So what if it was freezing cold... It's traditional to go for at least a quick paddle in the sea when you go to the beach. And, it wasn't too bad when we weren't standing still.



Besides, since we went on such a dull sort of day it meant there weren't really many others there, which meant I was free to run about and enjoy myself properly (see, I can run when I want to... I just don't usually want to. LOL!) I don't get to run about much, because it's not usually safe. But an almost deserted beach is the perfect place to run freely.



Mam figured out quite quickly that messing about instead of standing still stops you noticing the coldness of the water so much. That's her excuse for acting like an idiot while waiting for me to snap this photo anyway. Yeah, we all believe her... Of course we do. ;)



Oh no! The waves are trying to get my Mami... Run Mami, run!

Wayne came to the beach with us, but he said there was no way he was going in the water. He said it would be too cold. He had a point about the water temperature, but - as I already said - you can't go to the beach and not play in the sea, right? So he stayed up the top of the beach with our stuff while we went to play in the sea for a bit. Hence me taking the photos of Mam. So, sorry if the photos of Mam aren't too great... I did my best.

Anyway...

On the way back up the beach Mam decided she wanted to collect shells. She says she's going to put them in her garden somewhere. I don't have photos of them though... Mam is meant to be sorting photos of the shells to post on her own blog some time in the near future.



After some time to adjust, I don't tend to be bothered by cold temperatures. As you can see from the photo above though, Mam is another story. Poor Mam got a bit cold. Good thing we had a blanket she could wrap around herself. I did ask her at this point if she wanted to leave, but she didn't. Perhaps because Wayne was having such a great time with his kite?



I brought him the kite from the visitors centre thingy they had near the beach. It only cost me £1.50 and he happily played with that kite for about 2 hours. I think he'd have played longer, but he got hungry. LOL! So, I think that was £1.50 ($3) well spent, don't you?

Mam and I had our lunch after we played in the sea, because playing in the water made us hungry. I'm not sure what Mam had, but I had egg sandwiches. I did also take a salad with me, but I ended up taking it home and having it for dinner. I packed a salad for Mam too, but the lid came off the tub and it ended up more sand than salad... Oops!

Anyway...

The whole reason we were in the visitors centre was because I wanted a bucket and spade. You need those things for the beach, right? They had a sand castle making set, but it had things in it I didn't want. So I got seporate bits instead... Two different buckets, and two spades (in case someone else wanted to play in the sand too). I mostly played in the sand on my own though...



I've made loads of sand castles before, but usually someone else does the part where you turn the bucket over and get the sand out. I thought it was about time I did it on my own though. So, I tried... And I tried... And I tried again... And - eventually - I did it!



My first ever solo sand castle. :)

Mam helped me make another sand castle (once she'd warmed up a bit). It was better than the one I'd made on my own, but... *Shrugs*... Who cares. It was fun making both sand castles.



Oh no! Our castle is being attacked by dragons. Where are the knights when you need them?

One of those dragons is the teddy I brought home for Kero. The other one Mam kept.

We enjoyed ourselves making sand castles. Traditional ones, and... *Clears throat*... Not so traditional ones. I'd like to point out at this point that I had nothing to do with the following sand castle. If you want to blame anyone... Blame Mam.



Good thing the beach was pretty much deserted, isn't it? ;)

We left the beach soon after that. Though, not before allowing Wayne to demolish our sand castles.

We hadn't been entirely the only people there though.



The beach had quite high sand dunes. Mam and I literally had to climb them to get to and from the sea (no wonder we were hungry when we got back up the beach). We'd hardly made it back up the beach though when the tractor in the photo above started along the beach to flatten the sand dunes. If only he'd shown up a little sooner... LOL! Anyway, I had Mam's camera in my hand, so I figured I'd have a go at getting a photo of the tractor (I was told it was a tractor anyway). And this is that shot.

And that was the end of our beach trip. It turned out there was a dog beach where we went (just a little way up from where we were) so we could have taken the dogs with us. But we didn't know it existed until we went there, and it was too far to go back for the dogs then drive back to the beach again. We'll take them soon though (hopefully). Neither dog has been to the beach before, so it should be quite an interesting outing.

So...

After the beach we went to run a few errands. While we were doing this Mam decided to get a few of the photos from the beach printed. That was when our "suggestive sand castles" got their name.

What happened was...

We went in Asda and asked how long it took to get photos developed. They said they had a 1 hour service, so Mam decided to use it. After all, we had some things we wanted to look for in Asda, so why not? (We were going to go and have a cuppa in the cafe too, but the Asda we were at didn't have a cafe). Anyway, Mam picked the photos she wanted done, paid them, got her slip thingy for picking them up, and off we went.

When she went back for them an hour later they were ready for her, and both the men working behind the photo counter were waiting for her too. The conversation went something like this:

Mam: Are my photos ready?
Guy 1: Yes, they are indeed. And I love your sand castles.
Guy 2: Yes... Very nice suggestive sand castles.
Mam: What?
Guy 1: Maybe you should take yourself a look, love.

So, she had a quick look through the photos she'd printed. And...

Mam: Oh... I... I didn't know I'd printed that one.

She was embarrassed... They were amused. As for me? I was doubled up laughing. LOL!

On that note, I think that will do for today.

Enjoy whatever's left of your day! :)

Tori


P.S. I've had my hair cut since we went to the beach, so it's a lot shorter now than in these photos

14 comments:

Celticspirit said...

I absolutely love your pictures! It looks like y'all had such a fun time. The last time I have been to a beach was in CA and that was in 2003 I believe. I grew up in MA in a city that is pretty much right on the beach so this brings back lots of memories. Oh yeah by the way, nice boobie sand castles. ;)haha

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

I must say you both seemed to have enjoyed yourselves at the beach, it looked such a lot of fun despite it being cold" shivers at the thought of the cold ".

You made a really good job of the photo's tori and the tractor one , the boob sand castle and your first ever castle you made on your own" very well done ".i can well imagineyour mams face when the bloke showed her " the photo ",lol.

Your mam made a good job of the photo's and the one of Wayne as we can see he is having great fun with the kite.:)

MarmiteToasty said...

What wonderful photos and what a cracking day you all had.... yep, its british tradition to go paddling whatever the weather, I bet them doodles dont do that :)

LOL@you mums sandcastles lmfao....

MarmiteToasty said...

oops.....

x

jewelzmomof4 said...

I love that you all are doing fun things together you will always love the fun you have. I would love to go to the beach again sometime. The last itme i went to the beach was a LONG time agao and my poor sister got sick with the flu the whole time we were at the beach.

LadyStyx said...

Nope..this doodle dont paddle in the cold weather. She will, however, have a nice wade in knee-deep waters. LOVE those ummm sandcastles! Looking forward to pictures of Kero at that beach soon.

ChicagoLady said...

Someone had a dirty mind at the beach!!! LOL

Looks like you both had a fun time playing in the sand and surf.

This doodle loves playing at the beach, and being in the water, but the temperature outside has to be HOT, so the cold water feels good. Then you get out and warm back up.

Tori_z said...

Glad you all enjoyed the photos.

Toasty:
I think you're right about them lot not paddling if it's a bit cold. Even Canadians think you're going to cancel trips to the beach if it's a bit overcast. ;)

Intense Guy said...

:)

You took excellent photos Tori!

And I'm going to be smiling all day today sharing all that fun you and your mam had splashing about in the water and making sand castles and sand boobs.

I'm sure Kero and Willow will love the beach too next time!

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
Well, I'm sure Willow will. I'm not sure about Kero... We'll see though.

Deanna said...

Somehow I missed this post. Love the pictures. You look so happy and free.

Intense Guy said...

I came back to look at the pictures again - and you know something? You and your mam look a lot alike... I would have thought twins even - perhaps because of the orange shirts. :)

Tori_z said...

Deanna:
Thanks. It was nice to be in an open space where I didn't have to watch out for "things" or hold someone's arm, or use my cane. :)

Iggy:
If you think Mam and I look alike then you should see how alike Carl and I look when he shaves off his beard. Especially when we had our hair about the same length. Carl and I look so alike that some people thought we were twins (and - in some cases - some people still do). There's actually a year between us, but we're close enough in age for people who don't know us well not to realise that. Came in handy for me a few times. ;)

AliceKay said...

Great pictures. Sure looks like you had a lot of fun at the beach, too. :)