Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Teeth and eyes (PTMI)

On May 1st all of us (meaning Mam, Dad, Kelly and myself) had our six monthly check-up with the dentist. Nobody needed much done, although Dad needed a filling, and Kelly needed a cap replaced from a tooth that was capped several years back. But guess who didn't need a single thing done. Yep, that's right... Me! *Smiles proudly*

Actually, I'm not sure how I'm managing to go to the dentist without needing anything done. I mean, I sometimes need a bit of a clean, but I didn't even need that this time. And - though I do brush my teeth - I'm nowhere near perfect when it comes to brushing my teeth, and don't do it nearly as much as I should. I guess I'm just lucky. If that's the case, I hope my luck holds out.

***~***

On May 7th I had an appointment to see my Optical Pr... Erm... Artificial eye doctor. ;)

It's the same person I saw when I first had the other one made. I should have been seeing her regularly since that one was made, but I went off to Canada to get married with plans of "probably not coming back" and when I did come back had problems trying to figure out how to get hold of her. Her name is "Eirona" (Not sure if I spelled that right... It's pronounced "eye-ro-na") which I think is a really cool name for someone in her job. And, if you're wondering, I'm using her name because it's easier to type than her job description. Besides, it's less confusing to just call someone by their name.

Anyway, I spent last Thursday afternoon sitting in a dentist chair (they make her use a dentist's room, they wont give her one of her own). I was there for TWO AND A HALF HOURS while Eirona made the moulds that will soon become my new eyes.

First she had to squirt some cold stuff in my eye sockets that hardens with heat. This stuff moulds itself to the shape of the inside of my eye sockets so she knows what shape to make the eyes so that they fit comfortably. This mould is then used to make another mould, which is then used as a template for my new eyes. And, yes, she did have to do both eyes. She did them one at a time though. Once she had the template thing made, she had to figure out the size my Iris should be. Then she had to put the template in my eye sockets so she could get the positioning of the iris figured out properly.

After that she had to figure out the colour. At this point I could have probably asked for just about any colour I wanted to (within reason). I like the colour my eyes were though. They were a grey-blue colour. Like my Dad's but a few shades darker. My left eye was matched (as much as is possible) to my natural eye colour when I had it done all those years ago, so she used that one to figure out a colour match. Mam helped her with this step, and they ended up agreeing on a colour that's somewhere between what my eyes were and my Dad's eye colouring (it's next to impossible to have a 100% accurate match to a real eye colour, so there's always a shade or so difference one way or another).

Once that was done, she had to figure out the size my pupil should be. As well as the shading of the white of my eye (they put slight colour tints in it to make it look realistic... Apparently a slight blue tint will work best for me). She then had to write all this information on two sets of paperwork (one for the right eye, one for the left) and send the papers and eye templates off to wherever it is they make the eyes (Cardiff, I think) to be made in to a set of proper artificial eyes for me. They'll be back in three weeks, but Irona will be away when they come back, so she said I'd have to wait until she gets back to have them. I was going to be telling you that I'm not sure when I'll be going for the appointment, but that it will probably be mid to late June, but I got an e-mail yesterday with an appointment to go and have them fitted on June 25th 2009 at 10:00 am. In the meantime I'll have to put up with my old one in my left eye, and the temporary one in my right eye.

There now, don't you feel better for knowing all of that? ;)

Tori

14 comments:

Intense Guy said...

Congrats on the great dentist check-up. Maybe you have good luck with them because Karma knew you would be stuck in a dentist chair for for your eyes?

I never knew what the process for making an artificial eye was. It sounds unpleasant and complicated. I hope your new eyes look great. A little more than a month from now you will have them!

jewelzmomof4 said...

well Toriz I learned something new about you today by reading your blog. I had no idea you had to have artifical eyes. It sounds like Irona worked really hard to make them look as realistic as possible. I can't wait to read your post about how you like them when you do get them. Oh and as far as your dentist appointment, I am sooooo jealous. I have so many problems with my teeth and I would rather give birth 20X over than go to the dentist and have him work on my teeth. I have a huge fear of them and don't really know why that is. Anyways congrats on your perfect dentist visit and i hope your next visit for you fitting of your eyes goes very well.

Celticspirit said...

That's great that you had no problems at the dentist. I'm right there with Jewelzmom about rather giving birth than go to the dentist!
It sure is an interesting process the way they have to do your eyes. I'm hoping all goes perfectly when they do the fitting for them. Good luck on that.

MarmiteToasty said...

Taking my teef out the glass and putting them back in me mouth...... yep, mighty fine :)

x

The Wife O Riley said...

WOW!! I had no idea that it was such an ordeal to get artificial eyes!!!

You got me with the stuff going into your sockets for the moulds. I almost had to stop reading, but I wanted to see how it came out.

Jess said...

I really hope this didn't hurt! I am awful wit people putting stuff in my face. I can handle my brace, just!
Good luck with all of this.
Have you ever tried finding some sort of blogging community with similar medical problems like yours? I mean, I found this really interesting to read and I can imagine it being really helpful as well.

Melissa B. said...

Every time I go to the dentist, I come back with a mouth full of something. Recently, it's been crowns, which are pretty expensive. I've got 3 now, all on my left-hand side. I must chew rigorously on that side, I guess. After reading about your eyes, I guess I won't ever complain again about having to wear specs!

Kati said...

That's awesome that the dentist didn't feel the need to do ANY work on your teeth!!! Wonder how rarely THAT happens. *wink* (Not how rarely with you, but how rarely in general.)

That IS interesting about the making of your new "eyes". Hope they're a perfect fit, color & feel wise, when they come in.

Tori_z said...

Didn't expect so many comments on this one. Thought maybe everyone would stop reading once I started on the eeye making discriptions. LOL!

Anyway...

Iggy:
Yeah, that could be it. I mean, it would have been much worse to be stuck on a dentist's chair for hours twice in one week.

And, yeah, it wasn't much fun having it done.

Jewelz:
You didn't know? Oh well, you do now. I had the left eye out nearly nine years ago, and had the right one out last year. I lost my sight due to Congenital Glaucoma.

Anyway... I've never had issues with dentistis. Mind you, I've never had much done. I do have one tooth that sometimes needs its cap replaced (it came through early after my brother knocked my front teeth out when I was not quite five) but other than that I've not really had any work done on my teeth, which is probably why I don't have dentist issues.

Barb:
I hope they're a good fit too. It'll mean that's it for me for hospital trips for - if I remember rightly - about six months. ;)

Toasty:
LOL! You nut!

Wifey:
I had no idea either until I went for my first one. And, let me tell you, it's worse when you need a pair. Still, I only have to go through this every few years. ;)

Curiosity got the better of you, eh? ;)

Jess:
Nah, it didn't hurt. The stuff Irona had to put in my eye sockets to make the first moulds was really cold and gave me a bit of a headache though. But that's not to do with the process itself, it's just that the sudden coldness on such a warm day was a shock to my system. Thanks for worrying about whether or not it hurt though. *Hugs*

No, I haven't tried finding some sort of blogging community with medical problems like mine. I did consider it, but never actually got around to it.

Glad you found the post interesting. :)

Melissa:
Oh, not nice! You must dread dentist trips!

Ah, I bet you will. I'm sure there will come a point - in fact, probably several points - in the future when you complain about wearing specs again. ;)

Kati:
I don't think it happens very often. Mind you, I'm sure the dentists don't mind the work they have to do. I mean, the work costs money, so... Well, need I say more? ;)

Glad you found the post interesting. I hope they are a perfect fit too.

Tori_z said...

Sorry about the typos.

LadyStyx said...

Congrats on the clean bill of health at the dentist!!

Tori_z said...

Thanks Styxie. :)

ChicagoLady said...

Cardiff? Make sure those molds aren't made at Torchwood, or you might just get alien eyes instead! LOL

AliceKay said...

Great news on the dental check up and good luck with the fitting of your artificial eyes come June 25th.

(sorry it's taken me so long to get to your blog)