Monday, May 11, 2009

Planting progress (FD)

As I mentioned last Tuesday My Sunflowers are coming along nicely, and I also have some Runner Bean plants. There's not really any change in the Sunflowers and Runner Beans, though the bean plants are a bit bigger, and so are many of the Sunflowers. Because of this I haven't bothered to get new photos done for you.

What I have done, however, is brought and planted Lavender, Carrot and Tomato seeds. I brought the seeds on Wednesday, and planted them over the weekend. Well, I planted all the Lavender seeds anyway. I only planted about half the carrot and tomato seeds. And, no, I don't have photos of them to share. Why? Because there's nothing to see yet. I will, however, get someone to take photos when - or if - they grow.

Anyway...

I'm growing the Sunflowers because I had them for Easter. I'm growing the Lavender because I like Lavender. But I'm growing the beans, carrots and tomatoes because I wanted to try and grow some of my own food. If I have success with these, I might try growing some other food items in the future.

So far so good. I haven't killed any plants or flowers yet anyway, so that's a good start. :)

Mam's growing some food items too. I'm going to let her do her own blog about the items she's growing though. All I'll tell you is that they're different from mine. The idea being that - providing we have at least a few items grow - we can swap produce when the time comes.

My Grandma is also growing some food items (she's mentioned them on her blog several times). We haven't arranged a produce swap with my Grandma though. Nothing personal, it's just that Mam and I live within a few miles of each other, where as Grandma is further away. Meaning that it's easier for mam and I to swap produce than it is for us to swap with Grandma. Which is a shame really, because my Grandma is growing potatoes, and we could use some of those, since potatoes are something neither of us has attempted this year.

That's all on this topic for now. I'll post more when there's more to say.

Tori

10 comments:

jewelzmomof4 said...

Can't wait to see the progress when and if LOL they grow. J/K I'm sure you will grow them just fine and they will turn out beautifully.

Tori_z said...

Thanks Jewelz. :)

Intense Guy said...

Hope your garden grows green and you gets lots and lots to swap!

MarmiteToasty said...

Hey Tori it all sounds great, Im thinking about getting an alloment so that I can grow so much more then what my little garden will allow....

x

Celticspirit said...

What? No zucchini? How can it be a garden without zucchini?
Seriously though all that stuff sounds great and I hope it gives you a good harvest. I think the swap with your Mam is a great idea. Good luck!

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

I am really proud of you tori for growing your sun flowers, and now vegetables as well.

hope you have lots so as you can swap with your mam, and sorry i am so far away as i definitely would have given you some potato's.

All the best with all your seeds.x

LadyStyx said...

Oooh lavendar! I love the smell of that stuff!

Tori_z said...

Iggy:
Thanks. :)

Toasty:
I'm planning to keep it small. Even when I expand what I'm growing I still want to keep it to small-ish quantities. It'll get too much to manage on my own otherwise.

Barb:
I don't even know what one of those is, let alone whether I like it or not. And I'm not going to even attempt growing anything I don't like, and can't guarantee will be eaten in large enough amounts to make it worth growing.

Grandma:
That's OK. You'll just have to eat them yourself, and we'll just have to buy potatoes this year, and attempt them some other time. :)

Styxie:
So do I.

Kati said...

YEAH for the gardening!!!! I hope your tomatoes and carrots produce something! And, the runner beans are supposed to have VERY lovely flowers as well. (I couldn't tell ya, for sure, as mine didn't really do much last year.) Hope your gardens do extraordinarily well this year. One thing with the carrots, do your best to not pack the soil down around the carrots, otherwise the carrot-roots themselves will wind up skimpy and nothing-to-them. Carrots seem to need VERY loose soil. Best of luck, and CONGRATULATIONS for even trying!

Tori_z said...

Kati:
Thanks... And thanks for the tip about the carrots.