Monday, June 15, 2009

Bird photography



As most - if not all - of you know, I've been trying to get photos of the birds that visit my garden. I posted a couple of photos some time ago that were taken by other people for me, but I wanted to do it myself. The camera is mine, the blog is mine, and I wanted to prove to everyone that losing my sight hasn't stopped me doing what I love. And I've always enjoyed taking photos and showing them off. I mean, I've owned cameras since I was about ten years old. And I know I have, because I spacifically remember when I got my first one... It was given to me by my Nan when we went on holiday to Cyprus. Anyway, I got my current camera almost three years ago, and had only had it for a year when I lost the sight I'd had. This meant I never learned the functions on it well enough to have them memorised. It also meant that my ability to spot a good shot and attempt to capture it became non-existant. And I didn't see the point of trying. So, I just left the photography to others. That is, until recently.

There have been a few times when - in order to get a shot of everyone - I've been the one holding the camera. And - judging by comments made by various people - I haven't been doing too bad of a job. This inspired me to attempt to take photos myself again. So, for the past two weeks, I've been trying to get photos of the birds in the garden myself.

I hadn't been having much luck. I managed to get some really nice shots of other things, but no birds. But I was determined I was going to get at least one bird photo. So, I sat on a chair in the kitchen and waited, and listened. And then I heard it... The flutter of wings, and the sound of a bird eating seed. There was a bird at the feeder, and all I had to do was get the camera aimed through the open back door and I'd have my photo. I hadn't had much luck with doing this so far, but maybe this time? I tried all sorts of angles, then...



Jackpot! We have a bird! :)

This next one is the same bird, but the photo has been cropped for me.



I'm not entirely sure what it is, but if I had to guess from the description I was given then I'd guess Goldfinch. My Dad is pretty good at identifying birds, so perhaps he can come and take a look and let us know?

Anyway...

Determined to get more bird photos, I settled myself just outside the back door with my camera, and waited.



Got it! Except the camera decided to focus on the tree rather than the bird... No problem! I took more! :)





I even got it to look at me.




It only took me two weeks and about 200 photos to get these bird photos. But I got the shots eventually! :)

Before I close this post, I just want to say one more thing... Thank you Iggy for having the willingness and patience to go through all those photos for me. I really appreciate it. *Hugs* :)

Tori

15 comments:

Karen said...

Dad says he thinks they are house sparrows, the ones with the black bib being the males and the plainer ones the females, but is hard to really tell as when the pics are zoomed in there is not enough detail to tell for sure as there are several simular birds here in Britain.

They are great shots though and we both think you did really well to get them.

Karen said...

Hopefully this link will work:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/h/housesparrow/index.asp

It should be a page on the House Sparrow with pictures and sounds for you all :)

MarmiteToasty said...

Great pictures..... and you even centred the subjects :)

more then I can do sometimes with moth me eyes open lol

x

Intense Guy said...

:)

The bird on top of the shed looks like a make house sparrow - but I don't think itsthe same as the one on the feeder.

I enjoyed looking through all the pictures you took Tori - I know at first it was frustrating and then nearly heartbreaking as there weren't any birds - but your determination and perseverance are impressive - and truly inspiring. :)

I hope you learn all the features of your camera and wish you the best of luck with future photography efforts!

*Hugs*

Deanna said...

You do amazing things, Tori. Those are really good pictures. And Iggy is quite a guy, isn't he.

LadyStyx said...

Great job on the pix Tori!

I agree with punkn....iggy is quite a guy. Not sure what some of us would do without him around.

AliceKay said...

You did a great job on taking the pics, Tori. And I agree with the others...you are amazing and inspiring...and iggy is a great friend. :)

Kati said...

YEAH!!! Glad to see & hear that you're back to using your camera on YOUR terms, again! Looking forward to many more pics, Tori!

Hope you're feeling/doing well. Missed being able to stop by your blog so much. I hope you're having a great summer, so far.

Tori_z said...

Mam & Dad:
Thanks for coming and taking a look, and for the link. :)

Toasty:
Thanks, but I'm sure you get awesome shots too. :)

Iggy:
You could be right. There are several different birds around, so it is quite likely that the one at the feeder is different. It's sometimes hard to properly identify birds though.

Thanks again for sorting the photos. I'm glad you enjoyed doing it. :)

Deanna:
Yes, Iggy is a great guy.

Styxie:
Absolutely!

AK:
Thanks... I don't think I'm an inspiration though. I'm just extremely stubourne and determined to prove people wrong if they say I can't do something. ;)

Kati:
Thanks! I miss your comments and posts too.

My Summer's not been too bad so far... If you don't include the knee issue... Definately better than last year anyway. ;)

Hope you're having a good summer so far too. :)

Jayde_Bramblerose said...

What lovely photo's of the bird on the feeder and of him on the roof looking at you, and it just goe's to show that if you sit still long enough you will get the photo's that you want to get, :) .

Well done tori and as i said before you really are getting clever at photo shooting even if it did take 200 photo's,lol,i love them any way,xx

Tori_z said...

Thanks Grandma. :)

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

iggy sent me...im glad i came..

Dorkys Ramos said...

It's so wonderful to come here and read about your unwillingness to give up and just accept things as they are! Glad you got those bird photos and yup, Iggy is all heart :)

Visiting from his site!

ChicagoLady said...

The bird on the shed is definitely a House Sparrow, a non-native species introduced to the United States and flourishing.

ChicagoLady said...

I also clicked on the picture of the bird at the feeder, and that also looks like the backside of a House Sparrow. I can just make out the grey crown on it's head, with some slight rust markings on it's cheek.

I think you did a fantastic job of taking pictures of birds. I have a hard time getting ones of them in the right light. I'm very impressed that you did it just be listening for them. WTG!